GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Money Shift warning...

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Those of us manual guys be aware on the 3rd to 4th. Another car (not mine) blown motor from money shift aka 3rd to 2nd. Warranty denied overspeed condition. 8188 rpms recorded. Careful. ;).

Red 4 door PP in Springfield, MO. Who's is it??

Last edited:

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Those of us manual guys be aware on the 3rd to 4th. Another car (not mine) blown motor from money shift aka 3rd to 2nd. Warranty denied overspeed condition. 8188 rpms recorded. Careful. ;).

Red 2 door PP in Springfield, MO. Who's is it??

I have never accidentally gone from 3rd to 2nd while shifting to 4th...until the other day in my MK7. Luckily, I wasn't going fast, so my RPMs didn't even hit 6K. I'm a lot more cautious now though. :eek:

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Damn, that sucks. That's like my worst nightmare. Luckily I have never done it (knock on wood) but every time I hear of someone blowing their engine like that, it gives me the shivers.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I don't have a GTI yet so I don't know, but is the shift plate that close together? Would shortening the shift increase risk of doing this? All of the manual gearboxes that I've driven have huge throws (mostly jeep wranglers) so I couldn't imagine how it is possible to shift from 3rd the 2nd accidentally (not down talking people who have had it happen, like I said I don't know).

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Never had a problem with mine. I think a lot of people grab the shifter to tight and their body motion pulls the shifter towards themselves. Anytime I shift quick, I slap the shifter wherever it needs to go, granted I have a 475gram knob so that helps.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, be deliberate as any pressure left pull down is a bad idea at wot shift.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I come from having an RSX-S and S2000 previously and LOTS of RSX people were blowing motors because of this...I was always taught when racing to backhand the 3-4 shift (so my tumb is on the bottom part of the shifter, knuckles facing the headunit)...has always worked well and have heard of this method from many other drivers

jtucker

Passed Driver's Ed
I am new to GTI (well I had a MK I back in '83) but I find the shift pattern to be quite vague. I can easily see how you can do it. I have accidentally gone from 5th to 2nd but at low RPMs, so no issues. I never miss shifts in any of the Porsches I have owned.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Ah the infamous money shift rears it's ugly head....tsk tsk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I don't have a GTI yet so I don't know, but is the shift plate that close together? Would shortening the shift increase risk of doing this? All of the manual gearboxes that I've driven have huge throws (mostly jeep wranglers) so I couldn't imagine how it is possible to shift from 3rd the 2nd accidentally (not down talking people who have had it happen, like I said I don't know).

Yes, but only really if you are using an aftermarket relay lever that has adjustability.

Forge and APR come to mind as their relay (or side-to-side) lever is adjustable, and by shortening this too much it drastically increases your risk

the OEM metal relay lever is ideal and the only one I recommend as it only shortens your side-to-side by about 10% and little no increased risk of the 'Money Shift' as it is OEM

RadleeBradlee

Ready to race!
Never had a problem with mine. I think a lot of people grab the shifter to tight and their body motion pulls the shifter towards themselves. Anytime I shift quick, I slap the shifter wherever it needs to go, granted I have a 475gram knob so that helps.

Seconded. Any MT I've owned I've never accidentally went into the wrong gear, but a heavy weighted knob certainly helps. I dont grab it at all. I just push it gently and it falls into gear.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Bigger issue is the lockout on reverse is super weak and I've managed to go n > R without actually pressing down. Luckily the nav goes to reverse so it's easy to notice.