GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
My wife's student loans I'm paying 1k/mo minimum and I actually pay more than that to pay them off sooner because 7.7% interest is painful to look at.

I worked all through school, didn't spend very much, and had some family help to come out with 13k total. Biggest mistake I ever made was selling 1000 bitcoin at 50c a piece to pay for books one semester :(.
damn 1000btc, bull sold at 50c. At least you sold and you weren't a guy who lost his wallet x years ago with 'xxxxx in there' I only ever had an empty wallet, never got into it that big in 2011

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
everyone I went to state school with 20k a year, we all worked shitty part time jobs (the norm) and the money went towards x, we lived within our means and mainly everyone came out 80 -110 in debt. I used my part time money to pay my rent and buy groceries. I also got a super tiny scholarship for football. 1000 a year or something max maybe started at 500 and went to 1000 idn.

texas a&m in state tution is 11.8k thats real cheap good for them, they must have lived at home or commuted. My instate school tuition was 12.2, add room and board and food your looking at 20kish. I also went 5 years (football redshirt lol). I think at my school with had only 25% commuters

Maybe scholastic scholarships would have been more beneficial. Seriously, $1000 a year to play football is pretty sad. Finishing in 4 years would have helped too. That's a 20% increase in your costs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry, I sent this all tangential!

Mods that money is wasted on... Pretty much every single one because you'll never get a return on investment and the money would have been better spent investing elsewhere!

What's the fun in that though, when you can just tune up a little rabbit and spank some vettes at the track 😉

Truth, every single mod dollar is wasted. Every consumer dollar we spend on anything that isn't absolutely necessary to survive is wasted. You just have to choose what you want to waste you're money on.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Maybe scholastic scholarships would have been more beneficial. Seriously, $1000 a year to play football is pretty sad. Finishing in 4 years would have helped too. That's a 20% increase in your costs.
yeah we were a d2 school with not a lot of money, the top people got about 8k per year, I was a walk on. Now places like Penn state year you get like 40k a year lol. As far as scholastic scholarships, i never looked into it as my grades weren't there, not due to not trying, just was never an A student

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The only thing I can say is, now I am living through the bs student loan debt ect, and know what not to do for my kids. Now back to topic haha

Mods your wasting your money on: blinker fluid

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The only thing I can say is, now I am living through the bs student loan debt ect, and know what not to do for my kids. Now back to topic haha

Mods your wasting your money on: blinker fluid

The real issue is that education, health care, infrastructure, courts, prisons, etc..... are all basic government functions in a modern society and shouldn't be for profit or private. Too many conflicts of interest and it's eventually going to cripple our economy. The solution isn't for no one to go to college, because you can survive as a plumber. I really don't want to see my plumbers face when I'm having a heart attack. I don't want him to design the bridge I drive across. The real solution is that we treat basic functions required of a modern society as a services we provide our citizens for their tax dollars, so that our country can continue to prosper, instead of letting banks, for profit colleges, private prisons, etc...continue to prey on the public and constrain our countries future economic success, for obscene profits today on things that should be basic functions of government.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The real issue is that education, health care, infrastructure, courts, prisons, etc..... are all basic government functions in a modern society and shouldn't be for profit or private. Too many conflicts of interest and it's eventually going to cripple our economy. The solution isn't for no one to go to college, because you can survive as a plumber. I really don't want to see my plumbers face when I'm having a heart attack. I don't want him to design the bridge I drive across. The real solution is that we treat basic functions required of a modern society as a services we provide our citizens for their tax dollars, so that our country can continue to prosper, instead of letting banks, for profit colleges, private prisons, etc...continue to prey on the public and constrain our countries future economic success, for obscene profits today on things that should be basic functions of government.
listen im 100% with you, lets just get on track with car stuff tho, mods are probably watching, itchin for that friday ban hammer :) /s

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Back on subject. Make the fewest mods possible to achieve your goals and set modest goals. I've always followed that rule and all my builds have been as reliable as stock up to 100k miles.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Before the powers that be destroyed Syria, you had free health care & free education all the way to graduate, doctorate level.

Of course high school exams were vey stringent and only the smartest got into law or medicine. I remember their 12th grade final exam having stuff on it I was taking in calculus 2, organic chemistry etc which was like 2nd or 3rd year university stuff here. Education here is really subpar and we have to pay a boatload for it.

Bread was subsidized by the government and you could get a "loaf" for only 20¢

but you know, capitalism and freedom (or delusion of it) and Murica

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Before the powers that be destroyed Syria, you had free health care & free education all the way to graduate, doctorate level.

Of course high school exams were vey stringent and only the smartest got into law or medicine. I remember their 12th grade final exam having stuff on it I was taking in calculus 2, organic chemistry etc which was like 2nd or 3rd year university stuff here. Education here is really subpar and we have to pay a boatload for it.

Bread was subsidized by the government and you could get a "loaf" for only 20¢

but you know, capitalism and freedom (or delusion of it) and Murica
I think it's more a matter of class division. I was raised in an excellent school district and took similar classes in high school, but when I got to college, many of the kids in my courses were severely far behind and taking things for the first time. We've fought to get our kid into a similar school now, hopefully he'll actually be able to go to it in the fall, in at least some manner.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
You dont need to spend $100k to go to college. I got my AA right out of high school under my own dime by going to community college. I didnt go back to college till I was 25. I hit a plateau in my career that only a piece of paper saying I had accomplished "something" would let me advance any further. I applied for all kinds of scholarships. I got my bachelors in Business Admin/Supply Chain. When I graduated, I had $16k of debt. My interest rate on my student loan is less than 4%. Its been 4 years since I finished college and I can tell you that my salary has literally doubled from when I graduated to now. In my case, college mod was money well spent. According to my wife, my Deauto led footwell lights were the stupidest waste of money.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

choochoo.jpg

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
You dont need to spend $100k to go to college. I got my AA right out of high school under my own dime by going to community college. I didnt go back to college till I was 25. I hit a plateau in my career that only a piece of paper saying I had accomplished "something" would let me advance any further. I applied for all kinds of scholarships. I got my bachelors in Business Admin/Supply Chain. When I graduated, I had $16k of debt. My interest rate on my student loan is less than 4%. Its been 4 years since I finished college and I can tell you that my salary has literally doubled from when I graduated to now. In my case, college mod was money well spent. According to my wife, my Deauto led footwell lights were the stupidest waste of money.
Your story is similar to mine. I did community college on and off after high school and now at 37 and because of my career stalling, I'm going back to get my BBA with emphasis in logistics/supply chain. I start on June 1 actually. It's probably going to take me a while because I haven't taken a math class since the 90's and am terrible at it which will mean 4+ math courses to get to the one required for the degree.... but at least my company is paying for it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No college for me, but my stay at home wife went so I’m paying for hers.

The payment is less than our cellphone bill so not a big deal. I’ll pay the interest on it for all I care, I prefer paying off our home which has actual value.