GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modifications you Should Buy or Do

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
The stock Pirellis work fine for me. I'd have to really drive pretty aggressive (a-hole style on the street) to get them to start squealing. They also do pretty well on wet roads.

Not sure if there are any mods that "should" be bought. I think the GTI is a pretty well rounded car from the factory.

If there was one mod that I'm the happiest with is my suspension. Heck...I think I can be happy with the stock suspension...I'd just get a rear sway bar.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The stock Pirellis work fine for me. I'd have to really drive pretty aggressive (a-hole style on the street) to get them to start squealing. They also do pretty well on wet roads.

My stock Pirelli (P-zero Nero AS) were terrible. I think they were actually better in wet than on dry. On dry roads, they were like butter some days. The DWS06 I replaced them with are much better, and were cheaper.

After the thread title changed on this, I'm not as interested in keeping up with it anymore.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I had Hankooks stock, they were all around horrible. Replaced them with AS3+ with only 800 miles on them. Working at a tire shop had it's benefits.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had Hankooks stock, they were all around horrible. Replaced them with AS3+ with only 800 miles on them. Working at a tire shop had it's benefits.
Same tires mine came on and what I changed to. The Hankooks are like the tires that Hot Wheels come on, they seem like solid plastic when it comes to actually cornering.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Since we have enough “correct mod path” threads I'll piggyback on this one.

I think this works pretty well for a power focused flow chart. I hope you get as much of a kick out of it as I did.

I shamelessly stole this from “WazzuCougsAllDay”. He wrote it and posted it on Reddit and as such deserves all of the credit. I don't know if he’s on here but if you are this is awesome, accurate, and pretty funny IMO.

hYpsN_qvMOWZlI4Kw-BoiqpKWmrBeBxMY7qRZGIqtBo.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Am I the only one who feels the OEM tires were at least adequate? I mean at least in terms of cornering I had them let go maybe 3-5 times in almost 30,000 miles. 25,000 of them being on JB4 map 6. They held up just fine on a backroad and you knew when they were about to let go. Sure the Firestone’s I have now are much better but it’s a dedicated summer tire. I didn’t feel the need for a better tire until stage 2 and even then I only had issues with spinning in first and second. I don’t know why everyone complains so much about the stock tires. They’re not that bad.

No they are not the best tires by any means, and I’m glad I have the Firestone’s now but it’s not like they’re unsafe or undriveable. Certainly not a “required” mod. If you ask me the JB4 changed the driving attributes of the car for the better more than tires ever did.

Or maybe I just drive it too much like an econobox and not enough like a hot hatch...
I don't think I've ever had a set of AS tires in my life that were not adequate for most situations. The newer crop of performance AS tires certainly is more than adequate.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
My favorite mod is ceramic tint all around, including the windshield. In my case, llumar air 80 blue. The hot climate recode, along with the tint makes the car bearable in the FL summer.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just go through my big list of "How to guides"??...:cool:

The most important ones to me & in no particular order:-

1. Diesel Geek superpin & delrin shaft bushes for gear stick
2. 312mm brake upgrade
3. Audi TT & Golf all metal side to side & relay lever conversion for gear selector mech
4. Coding the "stop/start" function to OFF permanently
5. TPMS button retro-fit
6. Door puddle/exit warning lights
7. Lighter wheels
8. ESC button retro-fit
9. Bigger battery
10. Skid tray & other undertrays...
11. Ceramic coating for bodywork
12. Weathertech mats
13. RGM sill covers

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
Am I the only one who feels the OEM tires were at least adequate? I mean at least in terms of cornering I had them let go maybe 3-5 times in almost 30,000 miles. 25,000 of them being on JB4 map 6. They held up just fine on a backroad and you knew when they were about to let go. Sure the Firestone’s I have now are much better but it’s a dedicated summer tire. I didn’t feel the need for a better tire until stage 2 and even then I only had issues with spinning in first and second. I don’t know why everyone complains so much about the stock tires. They’re not that bad.

No they are not the best tires by any means, and I’m glad I have the Firestone’s now but it’s not like they’re unsafe or undriveable. Certainly not a “required” mod. If you ask me the JB4 changed the driving attributes of the car for the better more than tires ever did.

Or maybe I just drive it too much like an econobox and not enough like a hot hatch...
it really depends which stock tires and how you use them.
my 2015 GTI came with Pirelli Cinturato and when combined with dedicated winter tires I was able to reach 80k miles before they became unbearable as they were getting down to the threadwear limit.
The new 2020 has the same tires as stock option and I plan on keeping them on for at least 3 seasons while using winter tires in the winter months.

When my stock tires got replaced on 2015 GTI, I went with Pirelli PZero PZ4 (the lower threadwear version) and they were awesome for 2 seasons. They obviously wore out faster than the stock ones but they had much better dry traction due to more aggressive summer geared thread.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it really depends which stock tires and how you use them.
my 2015 GTI came with Pirelli Cinturato and when combined with dedicated winter tires I was able to reach 80k miles before they became unbearable as they were getting down to the threadwear limit.
The new 2020 has the same tires as stock option and I plan on keeping them on for at least 3 seasons while using winter tires in the winter months.

When my stock tires got replaced on 2015 GTI, I went with Pirelli PZero PZ4 (the lower threadwear version) and they were awesome for 2 seasons. They obviously wore out faster than the stock ones but they had much better dry traction due to more aggressive summer geared thread.

You must take off pretty slowly. My OEM tires lasted 15,000 miles.