GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mobile 1 Rebate $12/5qts

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I always get it from Walmart and always get the rebate! Since it's good until September, I will wait until Walmart rollback the price to $22 ish which they do often.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Rollback started today (4/4) it is now $22.88 from $25.47. I purchased 3 5 quart jugs yesterday at the $25.47 price. Just returned and repurchased.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
People get very into this...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

greens

Ready to race!
M1 0W40 is basically the blood of Christ to oil nerds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Used to be about two years ago when it was mostly PAO and Group IV but not anymore with the formulation change to the newer "FS" version. Now it's mainly Group III+ and inferior to the old stuff.

Made in Belgium Castrol 0W40 is the superior oil at the moment if you're going to leave out true Group V options like Redline, Motul, etc.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Used to be about two years ago when it was mostly PAO and Group IV but not anymore with the formulation change to the newer "FS" version. Now it's mainly Group III+ and inferior to the old stuff.

Made in Belgium Castrol 0W40 is the superior oil at the moment if you're going to leave out true Group V options like Redline, Motul, etc.

It seems like most "synthetic" oils are the Group 3 and not many Group 4. Honestly...it really makes zero difference to me or my car. I use LM which is a Group 3 "fully synthetic" but folks will argue that it isn't b/c it's not Group 4. Fun discussions but again, to me, pointless/no real bearing on the longevity of my engine if you just change it regularly and use a good filter. The motor will most likely outlast the rest of the car and it is v. unlikely that you will ever have lubrication-related issues (yes, some do but again, unlikely if you do the numbers).

TechGuy32

Ready to race!

How can anyone tell if a particular VW 502 approved oil is superior to another VW approved 502 oil or a non-approved 502 oil without seeing the actual test data from VW on the specific oils? Base stock does not tell how an oil performs the total oil formulation is what determines the lubrication performance. You can't tell anything from the base stock or advertising claims in regards to how the oil actually performs in the VW oil test sequence or our engines. I can't figure out how people reach their conclusions on oil without any objective VW 502 testing data.

greens

Ready to race!
How can anyone tell if a particular VW 502 approved oil is superior to another VW approved 502 oil or a non-approved 502 oil without seeing the actual test data from VW on the specific oils? Base stock does not tell how an oil performs the total oil formulation is what determines the lubrication performance. You can't tell anything from the base stock or advertising claims in regards to how the oil actually performs in the VW oil test sequence or our engines. I can't figure out how people reach their conclusions on oil without any objective VW 502 testing data.

From tribologists and UOAs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/48/1/european-and-import-motor-oils

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
^^^ Doesn't change a thing. Without conducting the VW 502 oil test sequence you can not tell if one oil lubricates better in our engines over another oil. Period. A UOA is designed only to tell you the condition of the oil and what contaminants are present. A UOA does not measure wear or lubrication performance.

For the record there is a lot of false beliefs posted at BITOG so people should take it all with a large grain of salt. Just because some people want to believe untrue claims does not make them true.

You can have a 1,000 UOA and they won't tell you anything about the lubrication performance of an oil or how the oil performs in our engines as the wear rate in an engine is constantly changing. The only means to determine if one oil lubricates better than another in a VW engine is to conduct the VW oil test sequence. A $35 UOA was never intended to and can't tell you if one oil lubricates better than another. You simply can't get there from here. It's like stepping on a bathroom scale and expecting it to determine your shirt size. It simply can't do it no matter what some folks believe.

H

Huntermike

I’m in agreement with Techguy. VW 502 00, BMW LL01, MB 229.5 are strict standards that are to be met. It’s a pass or fail. It doesn’t matter what the oil is made of, it meets or doesn’t meet the spec. If Wesson had a canola oil that passed the spec and sold for $1/gal. I would visit my local grocer to stock up.

There is no pure group XX oil, everyone has a blend of something as there are benefits and drawbacks to any type. I’ve been on BITOG for years and only the real newbs ask about group numbers anymore.

VISOM and GTL are synthetic and have some really really great attributes, there is no way they are inferior to PAO or esters.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Rollback started today (4/4) it is now $22.88 from $25.47. I purchased 3 5 quart jugs yesterday at the $25.47 price. Just returned and repurchased.

Thanks for the heads up on the rollback - getting my 4 jugs today.

It really is a no brainer this Mobil 1 deal....cheapest 502 spec oil is good enough for me!

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
All this talk of cheap oil is making me wonder where I can get affordable 508 spec oil for my Rabbit. I got a stockpile of 0w40 for my Passat, but right now for the Rabbit it’s $10 a qt online or 8.20 from the dealer. Wish there was a some deal or anything on it.