GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 wipers are s**t!

VDubber1

Ready to race!
My dealer "clayed" the windscreen with something VW sent them and it didn't make any difference. The dealer told me that the problem was caused by the adhesive on the notices that are stuck to the windscreen on delivery. The only thing that worked for me was Bosch Aerotwins.

VWUK do not supply the dealership or provide clay kits to you under warranty, its at the dealerships own cost and the cost is not recoverable. So my thoughts would be 'did they actually clay it? And if so did they do it correctly?

aklwill

VW wipers

Have got my car back and they have had he windscreen polished and the wipers replaced again. It appears to have fixed the juddering problem. Disgusting service from VW and they ignore any mention I make of his being a known issue. It's a shame because the car is really great but this whole wiper issue has left a nasty taste. After they confirmed with me that it appears to be fixed the customer service manager insinuated it was something to do with how I store my car. It's garaged and I reported this issue the second day after picking my brand new car up from them. I have asked HER to answer me, where was my car stored before I took delivery for this to happen. VW in New Zealand suck.

Judesman

Ready to race!
VDubber, all I can say is that my dealer took up the matter with VW and they were sent some cleaning material that was described as "Clay". The garage cleaned the windscreen and it didn't work. I like my MK VII but it doesn't have the quality of my MK IV.

marvin1

Ready to race!
I frankly cannot understand why people are still buying this car knowing that it is flawed in some many inexcusable ways. Believe me, it saddens me greatly and have lost faith in VW having now owned two Golf but alas no more.
I am currently looking into the BMW 1 Series, which after about 10 years of development may suit my needs. At least it spares me the excessive amount of technical gizmos that the new Golf has been lumbered with at the expense of getting the essentials right.
Sorry to be so negative - I know I'm not popular here but I don't care

GC854

Ready to race!
Marvin, you are fully entitled to your opinion and when buying a car anyone should be 100% sure that they are buying the right car for them. By the way I kind of enjoy your digs and the feedback they receive - usually makes me chuckle!

I also understand that the current 1 Series is soon to be replaced with another which will have more tech installed! You might have to move sharpish.

Finally, at the risk of incurring the wrath of those who have been affected, I am delighted that my Golf has had none of the issues reported in the forum. Smear free windscreen, no suspension noises (although the boot floor can rattle if not seated properly) and for the power it delivers I am happy with the MPG figures. :)

marvin1

Ready to race!
Marvin, you are fully entitled to your opinion and when buying a car anyone should be 100% sure that they are buying the right car for them. By the way I kind of enjoy your digs and the feedback they receive - usually makes me chuckle!

I also understand that the current 1 Series is soon to be replaced with another which will have more tech installed! You might have to move sharpish.

Finally, at the risk of incurring the wrath of those who have been affected, I am delighted that my Golf has had none of the issues reported in the forum. Smear free windscreen, no suspension noises (although the boot floor can rattle if not seated properly) and for the power it delivers I am happy with the MPG figures. :)

Yes, thanks. This is a difficult scenario isn't it i.e car and internet forums? Obviously not everyone who buys a MK7 experiences problems or do they? You haven't and I hope you won't but why are so many enthusiasts, obviously, reporting the same issues - they must exist?
Perhaps ordinary Joe public, who only sees their car as a means of getting from A to B wouldn't pick up or worry if their suspension creaked and groaned and their wipers smeared - I don't know. Perhaps a high percentage of owners' cars are plagued with the same issues but can't be bothered to keep on going back to their dealers.

As you can tell, I have really been spooked by the annoying issies reported for this model, unfortunately.

GC854

Ready to race!
Marvin I can understand why you are spooked by the stories. They caused me to think too before taking the plunge. However when I looked at the forums for the other cars I was considering they too reported lots of issues. Of course what forums do is allow a rapid exchange of communication. I haven't read anything in the motoring press about the real issues reported here. There is undoubtedly an issue with the rear suspension and smearing windscreens but the forum doesn't allow us to gauge how bad the issue is in terms of outright percentages of cars affected.

In the past we were all blissfully ignorant. I bought a new Mk2 Golf back in the day when the press praised them for reliability and build quality. It turned out to be one of the worst cars I ever owned and I sold it after 12 months. These days though every car should be built to a high standard.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
I knew when I bought my 1st Golf MK7 2.0 GT back in April 2013 that as it was a completely new design that I would face some kind of teething problem...didn't expect it to drag on as long as it did, or become a safety issue either but hey-ho its the chance you take buying new.
After VWUK had instructed my retailer to rip out the windscreen after 3wks I had already started to lay the foundations for rejecting the car. It took me 5mths to succeed, and I could have walked away without being a single penny out of pocket and purchase something completely different, but I didn't...why?...because the Golf MK7 is still a great car despite its niggles...especially the GTi. I dont think that there will ever be a car produced that will be trouble free, and even though i'm having the same issues with this one...I will still buy another!

Last edited:

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Smearing windscreen issue

On my 2 months old mk7 R I also have had the ”smearing windscreen issue”. After a months ownership I noticed there were very small grey dots all over the windscreen. Nowhere else as the bonnet or roof. I just took some polish (medium rubbing) and hand polished the windscreen. Just under the wipers where they change direction I took some solvent to get rid of rest of some wax or whatever it was (could feel the structure with my finger). Now it’s okay, wipers work fine.

No big deal, just wanted to post you about my polishing. Took me about 10-15 minutes to finish the job. Didn’t bother to contact the dealer, takes more time then it took me to fix it.

My mk7 Estate is now 8 months old. The wipers have worked 100% from day one on this car.

/Peter

Last edited:

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Marvin you're on a VW owners forum where every little fault and niggle will be amplified. Try going on the BMW forums and you'll find its exactly the same oh and ford, Vauxhall, Audi. Its a small %of owners who are on a forum but every problem is published to see. Thousands of people will be perfectly happy with a mk7 golf and will have trouble free motoring. Has your mk6 not had any problems at all?

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
My MK7 all of 8wks ownership has had zero issues.

As for the wiper issue, I can report that on receiving my car, I gave it a full new car prep. And was surprised to see how much crap, the clay bar picked up off the screen.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Marvin you're on a VW owners forum where every little fault and niggle will be amplified. Try going on the BMW forums and you'll find its exactly the same oh and ford, Vauxhall, Audi. Its a small %of owners who are on a forum but every problem is published to see. Thousands of people will be perfectly happy with a mk7 golf and will have trouble free motoring. Has your mk6 not had any problems at all?

Re my Golf. Within a month of ownership and on a few occasions for about a year, my Aircon didn't work when switched on - had to stop turn of engine and restart.
No fault shown on Vagcom. Problem cleared on its own. Minor rattles and squeaks which I also found out by myself and couldn't see point in keep on visiting disinterested dealers who never have time or resources to test out these things. The car is 5 years old in July and frankly I just don't know what to buy now should I consider it necessary to change, anyway. I have still not got 20k on the clock yet!

As I have said tediously, I find the new Golf a step too far now with its technical wizardry.
Of course there are issues with other cars but the BMW 1 forums I have visited are not that active to be honest and the Audi A1/A3 seem to have their problems not so dissimilar frome the Golf, which isn't surprising, is it. Silly EPB problems etc and not releasing when pulling away - I can't be bothered will all that aggro at my time of life.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
I can't answer for the rest of the members here but I have always received an excellent standard of service and support from my VW dealership throughout the issues both cars have developed, and am confident that this will continue throughout ownership as well!

Gaz1

Ready to race!
Windscreen currently covered in bug splats, going to order the new wiper blades now, as I find being able to see fairly important. I shall soon be driving like Ace Ventura.