GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Loosened the OEM clamp and slid it towards the turbo to get it off the hose. Then I took out the torx bolts, holding the hard coolant line across the engine, to give me flexibility to move it forward and back. I clamped the coolant line forward of the engine, and then once the oem clamp was off the hose, it moved itself pretty easily. Put on the stainless steel clamp and reattach the hose, move the clamp over the hose and tightened it down and put it back together
Did you try cutting it off like @JerseyDrew77 suggested? Would that skip the torx bolt? I'll be using something like this
1709504983274.png
which fits 1/2in diameter tubing. These have a tendency to gouge soft plastic, is it safe to go hand tight as long as I don't see it slicing? Also in case I need to detach the hose would a standard hemostat suffice for a clamp?

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Also as part of my reading I found these threads

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/burning-coolant-on-turbo.442668/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-leak-from-failed-adapter-06k-121-143.372055/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/coolant-leak-near-turbo-on-a-friends-gti.371351/

so per those threads I ordered one of these https://www.emdauto.com/collections/mk7/products/emd-auto-billet-coolant-adapter-for-mqb-2-0t

The leak isn't as drastic as yours and looks more like the pictures in thread 1. The level hasn't gone down very fast between ~30 min drives but I did observe puddles underneath the engine bay on Friday & Saturday between drives. Definitely glycol. Smell and steam also observed Friday when the low coolant alert triggered. Didn't bring my headlamp out this morning so I don't have any good pictures of my situation. Think I'll just take the coolant jug with me and top off frequently until that part arrives.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Did you try cutting it off like @JerseyDrew77 suggested? Would that skip the torx bolt? I'll be using something like this View attachment 300285 which fits 1/2in diameter tubing. These have a tendency to gouge soft plastic, is it safe to go hand tight as long as I don't see it slicing? Also in case I need to detach the hose would a standard hemostat suffice for a clamp?
Yep. That’s exactly I used. Trying to cut off one of those OEM clamps in that type of space is going to be tough. I remove the hose that way I could remove the OEM clamp.

I want to use a smoother edged clamp, but they came in packs of 10 so I just need to track down a couple and I’ll replace it

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
This is definitely going to be one of my more random/stupid questions....
Has anyone ever removed the underbody aero/deflector tray to clean?
I think I found the clips online. They're mostly rusted and I'm sure pulling them off will ruin them. My concern is, I live in Ohio and while we don't really get winter here anymore it seems, they do still salt and sometimes brine the roads. I am sure that shit is getting between the tray and the underbody and just sitting there. I am keeping this car for the long haul. The hope is that eventually, one day. I'll have a second DD and turn this fully into the "fun" car or "race car" and I don't want the thing to be a rusted shitbox before then.

I would love to wash it out and recoat it with woolwax or something similar if there are any bare spots. - This is assuming the entire underbody isn't already factory coated, and is holding up still at 80K miles.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This is definitely going to be one of my more random/stupid questions....
Has anyone ever removed the underbody aero/deflector tray to clean?
I think I found the clips online. They're mostly rusted and I'm sure pulling them off will ruin them. My concern is, I live in Ohio and while we don't really get winter here anymore it seems, they do still salt and sometimes brine the roads. I am sure that shit is getting between the tray and the underbody and just sitting there. I am keeping this car for the long haul. The hope is that eventually, one day. I'll have a second DD and turn this fully into the "fun" car or "race car" and I don't want the thing to be a rusted shitbox before then.

I would love to wash it out and recoat it with woolwax or something similar if there are any bare spots. - This is assuming the entire underbody isn't already factory coated, and is holding up still at 80K miles.
While I haven't on this car, in general I've found a fair amount of garbage when I remove the lower tray thing. IIRC a lot of the clips are those slide on metal ones, I think I've seen them at the hardware store but online is probably cheaper.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
While I haven't on this car, in general I've found a fair amount of garbage when I remove the lower tray thing. IIRC a lot of the clips are those slide on metal ones, I think I've seen them at the hardware store but online is probably cheaper.
IIRC it's some combination of these and the push on metal ones which seem to be around online.
1709652530391.png

May have to give this a shot here in the next few weeks. Who knows, it's only March we could still get another snow this year...... :sick:

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Don't have time to do info gathering before I need to put my phone down at work, so posting here instead. While topping off coolant one-handed (see previous posts for where I think I've been leaking coolant) I noticed a decent drip out the side of my coolant overflow tank. Spilled a bit getting the stream in but I realized the drip observed was actually coming from the tank itself not my overspill. I pulled the tank off the clip a bit to tilt it slightly and the dripping stopped/slowed.

IMG_7584.jpeg

I haven't been able to look into the design and function of the overflow tank. I know shit all about the coolant system except that the pink stuff is supposed to stay inside. The drips were coming from underneath that clip looking thing on the upper half. Working as intended or is my reservoir cracked?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Don't have time to do info gathering before I need to put my phone down at work, so posting here instead. While topping off coolant one-handed (see previous posts for where I think I've been leaking coolant) I noticed a decent drip out the side of my coolant overflow tank. Spilled a bit getting the stream in but I realized the drip observed was actually coming from the tank itself not my overspill. I pulled the tank off the clip a bit to tilt it slightly and the dripping stopped/slowed.

View attachment 300521

I haven't been able to look into the design and function of the overflow tank. I know shit all about the coolant system except that the pink stuff is supposed to stay inside. The drips were coming from underneath that clip looking thing on the upper half. Working as intended or is my reservoir cracked?

Pink stuff is supposed to stay inside. Shouldn't be dripping out.

Luckily, changing the reservoir is a very cheap and easy fix, even for someone who knows shit all about the coolant system.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ordered new expansion tank from FCP, $19 part with $15 rush shipping 😅

The rush shipping was unnecessary. Even with the basic shipping, you probably would have gotten it tomorrow lol. Benefit of living in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
The rush shipping was unnecessary. Even with the basic shipping, you probably would have gotten it tomorrow lol. Benefit of living in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area.
I know lol but my coolant system is worth an extra $15, I would be irate if it started really dumping coolant with a day left on shipping

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

View attachment 300521

Yup…. The pressure (system gets pressurized when engine is running) is forcing it out of a hairline crack. Good catch