GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

anotherslow86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI, AE86, Skyline
I get a lot of wind noise by my MK7.5's driver window. Windows are all rolled up as high as they can go. I don't see any obvious gaps or loose trim. I also can't feel any wind coming through the window anywhere. Kinda perplexed about this one..

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I get a lot of wind noise by my MK7.5's driver window. Windows are all rolled up as high as they can go. I don't see any obvious gaps or loose trim. I also can't feel any wind coming through the window anywhere. Kinda perplexed about this one..

Have you ever taken your mirror caps off? I had my driver's side one not be fully seated before because of broken clips. It was on secure enough to stay on, but because it wasn't fully seated it was creating awful wind noise.

anotherslow86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI, AE86, Skyline
Have you ever taken your mirror caps off? I had my driver's side one not be fully seated before because of broken clips. It was on secure enough to stay on, but because it wasn't fully seated it was creating awful wind noise.
I haven’t personally, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the previous owner had. I’ll have to go inspect that and see what I discover. If the clips are broken do I need a new mirror cap? Or are the clips a separately replaceable component?

cb1111

37,000 miles, oil was changed last year (Summer) at 35,000. Should I change the oil since it's been sitting all winter without being started up? The cost of an oil change isn't a factor, however if it's 100% wasteful and can be skipped it'd save me some time.
The 19's have the 7yr warranty, so I'd change the oil every year or every 10k miles - whichever comes first.

cb1111

Before you go pulling off mirror caps, clean and grease up your rubber weatherstripping - Gummipflege if you have it, or something similar.

I've also used ArmorAll on the rubber bits - if the noise turns into a squeak, then you know it is the weatherstripping - but then you need to remove all of the ArmorAll again

cb1111

37,000 miles, oil was changed last year (Summer) at 35,000. Should I change the oil since it's been sitting all winter without being started up? The cost of an oil change isn't a factor, however if it's 100% wasteful and can be skipped it'd save me some time.

The 19's have the 7yr warranty, so I'd change the oil every year or every 10k miles - whichever comes first.
Just to clarify - this doesn't mean that you have to go to the dealer for an oil change. My two cars came with pre-paid maintenance, so I go to the dealer right now, but keeping a notebook where you log who did what maintenance - along with receipts for either labor or parts - will suffice.

You'll want to be able to show that all of the required maintenance was completed on time if you have a warranty issue, but any reasonable records are fine.

A reasonable record includes showing that somebody competent did the job - which can certainly be DIY if you seem like you know what you are doing and have receipts for the parts. I take a picture of all the parts and keep them with the receipt - important if the receipt doesn't show part numbers or oil weights etc.

I've known people who bought the parts, said "I don't need to do it yet", used the parts on another car, but falsified their records to show that they did the maintenance - especially if they were in a situation like yours where the oil is most likely perfectly fine. I've also known people that just swap the oil filter, top it off and call it a day.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
2015 GTI, did the discover pro retrofit a while back and after some reading have realized that I'll never be able to get the performance monitor to work/read boost properly. It either reads 14 or 0.

Would a OBDII gauge (P3 vent gauge for example) be an alternative solution for reading boost etc. other than getting a full on accessport?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
2015 GTI, did the discover pro retrofit a while back and after some reading have realized that I'll never be able to get the performance monitor to work/read boost properly. It either reads 14 or 0.

Would a OBDII gauge (P3 vent gauge for example) be an alternative solution for reading boost etc. other than getting a full on accessport?
I did just that, P3 reading via OBD2. Boost, AFR, EGT, IAT, etc, and matches the interior nicely. You can also set it up to read ACTUAL boost with some plumbing versus the "what the ECU thinks is happening" boost (OBD2 only)

Estland

Car(s)
Mk7
Hello, what's the female crimp connector type on our cars BCM? (Fog lights, footwell lights etc.)
Edit: Found it. Fog lights are oem code 000979025E

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
If I use a waterless wash like ONR can I use a California Water Blade to remove (and then wipe with microfiber) or should I just stick with a microfiber towel? I'm lazy.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
an I use a California Water Blade to remove
NO... you are using ONR to prevent the dirt on the paint from marring it, and you're going to use a silicone blade to rub your paint? oxymoron... microfiber towels grip the "encapsulated" dirt and don't allow it to rub on the paint. All it takes is one particle of dirt to be on the top of the paint with the jelly blade to start scratching the paint. I used those back when they came out and always asked myself why I had so many scratches on the paint. Since I started using ONR the marring on my paint is almost non existent.

Same as those old guys in the car shows with the fancy dust mops and detail spray... creating holograms of spiderwebs in their shinny old Corvettes. The reason most of them don't notice is because the wax detail spray is full of fillers that cover the minor scratches. All it takes is a decent wash to see them all.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
How clean is your car after the ONR wash?

Very clean. I use the same process. Works great.

I have a clean bucket with ONR I add all my micro fibers to. I have a sprayer that has ONR that I spray the panel down with, grab a soaked microfiber, clean the panel. I use a dry microfiber with ceramic spray I lightly mist while drying.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Very clean. I use the same process. Works great.

I have a clean bucket with ONR I add all my micro fibers to. I have a sprayer that has ONR that I spray the panel down with, grab a soaked microfiber, clean the panel. I use a dry microfiber with ceramic spray I lightly mist while drying.
finally someone describes two bucket in a way that makes sense

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
finally someone describes two bucket in a way that makes sense

Yeah I actually ditched the two buckets. I don't rinse a "dirty" microfiber. I just keep grabbing clean ones, and toss the dirty ones in a bucket to be laundered.

I get 4-6 swipes with the soaked microfiber, as I flip and fold to keep a cleaner surface.

The one I use to dry with my misting spray, I maybe use 2-3 for the entire car, but they're larger and dedicated just for drying.