GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

New tools are always fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everybody overlooks amazon.de as a source of European stuff. You log in with your US account and the system will automatically remove the VAT upon checkout and ask if you want your card charged in Euros or Dollars. If in $$, then it'll do the conversion so you know exactly what you'll pay.

If you have Prime, then you'll pay a nominal amount for normal shipping. With the VAT reduction, the $$ conversion and the shipping, the price in Euros is roughly what you pay in $$. Depending on size, it'll be on your doorstep (usually badly packed) in a week to three weeks.

The savings can be ridiculous. I bought a Gedore toolkit in an L-Boxx last year for about $300. The identical kit sells on KCTools (a big German tool distributer here) for $1900. Granted, the Gedore was on a black Friday sale on Amazon.de with a discount plus a 20% clip coupon.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Everybody overlooks amazon.de as a source of European stuff. You log in with your US account and the system will automatically remove the VAT upon checkout and ask if you want your card charged in Euros or Dollars. If in $$, then it'll do the conversion so you know exactly what you'll pay.

If you have Prime, then you'll pay a nominal amount for normal shipping. With the VAT reduction, the $$ conversion and the shipping, the price in Euros is roughly what you pay in $$. Depending on size, it'll be on your doorstep (usually badly packed) in a week to three weeks.

The savings can be ridiculous. I bought a Gedore toolkit in an L-Boxx last year for about $300. The identical kit sells on KCTools (a big German tool distributer here) for $1900. Granted, the Gedore was on a black Friday sale on Amazon.de with a discount plus a 20% clip coupon.

My god you’re right. I was just browsing and the savings with shipping are significant. One small Wera bit set shipped from Germany was $20 cheaper than the same set from Amazon in the US. Thanks for the tip.

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed
Stupid useless feature for most people. I would have preferred nixing that for LED lights all around the interior.

Apparently VW agreed, they did get rid of it for MK7.5.

Didn't give us LED interior lighting, though.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have a 2015 GTI S, and had a 2015 GTI SE. Both of them are all-LED interior. I don't get it.

Maybe he was referring to the glove box and the trunk bulbs not being LEDs. Or how the 7.5s overhead console does not have backlit buttons like the 7s do.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What LEDs are you guys referring to in the interior?

Like nype said, not all interior lights are LED, at least on my 2017 Sport. People usually have to swap out incandescent lights in glove box, visors, and trunk.

Apparently VW agreed, they did get rid of it for MK7.5.

Didn't give us LED interior lighting, though.

Really the 7.5 has no interior LEDs?? Is this verified? That really sucks.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Like nype said, not all interior lights are LED, at least on my 2017 Sport. People usually have to swap out incandescent lights in glove box, visors, and trunk.

My 2018 has led interior lights....

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed

Maybe it’s different on the GSW and GTI, but based on color temperature, I’m pretty sure my 2018 Sportwagen doesn’t have LED interior lights.

I’ve also been proven to be an idiot in the past, so maybe just disregard haha.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K

Depends what LEDs you are referring to. In my '19 SE there is LED ambient lighting in the footwells and the door handles, in addition to the LED strips in the door cards.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Depends what LEDs you are referring to. In my '19 SE there is LED ambient lighting in the footwells and the door handles, in addition to the LED strips in the door cards.
Same with 18 SEs