GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Here's my silly question also related to keys. I bought my car used and it would seem the original owner only surrendered one of the fobs. Is it safe to assume that since there's no key hole (like there was on my MKV) on the driver's door, that it's impossible to get a valet (read: fob-less) key? I'm guessing if I want a backup, it has to be a fully programmed FOB.

If you push the actual key into the slot on the door handle it should open via the transponder in the fob. Also if your battery dies in your remote it will still be able to communicate with the car if you hold it up next the the steering Column by the VW symbol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMojoRisin1287

Passed Driver's Ed
My stupid question:

With the keyless entry FOB, what is the easiest method to get the rear doors to unlock without getting out your key fob or opening up the front door and hitting the unlock button on the door?

This is apparently beyond me.

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
My stupid question:

With the keyless entry FOB, what is the easiest method to get the rear doors to unlock without getting out your key fob or opening up the front door and hitting the unlock button on the door?

You don't have to open the front doors to unlock the rears. There is a setting in headunit that you can tell it to unlock all of the doors using KESSY. Then just put your hand over one of the front door's handle and it'll unlock them all. Now, what I wish is available is the same sensor on the rear door handles.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
You don't have to open the front doors to unlock the rears. There is a setting in headunit that you can tell it to unlock all of the doors using KESSY. Then just put your hand over one of the front door's handle and it'll unlock them all. Now, what I wish is available is the same sensor on the rear door handles.
You can also double tap your hand behind the handle to unlock all doors.

bennybmn

Ready to race!
My question isn't related to my GTI, as it focuses more on owner behavior. Does anyone else feel like the key is an absolute nightmare to deal with? Given that I've only had ~850 miles of ownership, I'm excited to say that this is my only issue so far!

I'm having trouble figuring out where to store my keys. On my other car (2013 Prius C, (please stop laughing at my other car, it's surprisingly amazing for what it is.)), I'm able to dump my keys in the trunk along with my backpack and sweater, which basically go with me everywhere. I've noticed that with the MKVII, I'm unable to start the car if the key is in the trunk.

If I'm not in my car, I usually clip my keys to a belt loop on my jeans. I do have to make sure that I remove the keys before getting in the car so they don't damage the seats. Regardless, I'm now shoving my keys in to the cupholder in the center console.

What is everyone else doing with their keys? I have a coworker with a Golf R, and he keeps his VW key separate from everything else, and it lives in his pocket. While this does make logical sense, I feel like it could be easily lost that way.

How are you all managing keys?

Regarding the keys:

I've got the GTI key, along with my Prius key, house key, and two keys for work. It's turned in to an unsightly combination. Would I be correct to assume that everyone else keeps their VW key separate from everything else?

I keep it separate. When I got a motorcycle 15 yrs ago, I had a VW with the first gen of the flip key. It was nice to be able to leave the bulky car key at home when I was out on my bike. It kind of stuck... Mountain biking from home I take my house keys. If I drive to meet friends, I lock the house keys in the car and only take the car key. It becomes second nature, not as much of a hassle as it sounds. Otherwise, they're in my pocket.

My stupid question:

You can also double tap your hand behind the handle to unlock all doors.

I didn't know the double tap, I'll have to try it. On my MK6 Jetta, grabbing the passenger door unlocks all by default.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Here's my silly question also related to keys. I bought my car used and it would seem the original owner only surrendered one of the fobs. Is it safe to assume that since there's no key hole (like there was on my MKV) on the driver's door, that it's impossible to get a valet (read: fob-less) key? I'm guessing if I want a backup, it has to be a fully programmed FOB.

Unfortunately there are no valet keys for the MK7. If you noticed, there isn't even a lock on the glovebox anymore. Like others have said, on the drivers side door there is a cover over where the keyhole normally is. If you insert the physical key in the slot it will pop off the cover and you can get in. Then, hold the fob up to the steering column and that will start the car, even if it is dead.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Stupid question but, if Im APR stage 1 can I get the unitronic tune for the IS20 turbo?
Or it's not possible, once you are APR you have to stay APR?
By the way I know about the IS38 APR tunning only problem is $1400 for the turbo, $600 for installation and $699 for the ECU flash...

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Noob DSG question.

What's the technique for getting off the line quickly. I'm not talking about the"launch mode" just want to get ahead of the lady in the BMW next to me. Full on launch mode seems too extreme.

Does the DSG stay disengaged until you release the brake, or are you slipping clutch when applying gas at a stop.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Noob DSG question.

What's the technique for getting off the line quickly. I'm not talking about the"launch mode" just want to get ahead of the lady in the BMW next to me. Full on launch mode seems too extreme.

Does the DSG stay disengaged until you release the brake, or are you slipping clutch when applying gas at a stop.

If stock you can not left foot brake and run RPM's up with right like one would do with a Launch Control program. The DSG will actually cut power back if you left brake and also press gas. Then she will win for sure. Either drive normal (all right foot) or use left on brake and right on gas but never both pedals pushed at same time. I think some can use manual brake like a line lock. I have never used enough to get good at it.
Suggest you just drive normal and get her when third kicks in.
With an APR tune you can left foot brake and launch. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Stupid question but, if Im APR stage 1 can I get the unitronic tune for the IS20 turbo?
Or it's not possible, once you are APR you have to stay APR?
By the way I know about the IS38 APR tunning only problem is $1400 for the turbo, $600 for installation and $699 for the ECU flash...

You can change programs.
You might have first removed.
Ask the guys with the tune you are going to what needs to happen.
Many on Forum have switched testing which they like better.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
If stock you can not left foot brake and run RPM's up with right like one would do with a Launch Control program. The DSG will actually cut power back if you left brake and also press gas. Then she will win for sure. Either drive normal (all right foot) or use left on brake and right on gas but never both pedals pushed at same time. I think some can use manual brake like a line lock. I have never used enough to get good at it.
Suggest you just drive normal and get her when third kicks in.
With an APR tune you can left foot brake and launch. FYI.

Thanks Sandman. The DSG is a whole new animal for me!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks Sandman. The DSG is a whole new animal for me!

Yes.
It is amazing just what all it can do.
Feel like an econo box or shift like a Ferrari.
Best thing to do is just drive it and learn.
I forced myself to drive sport manual all the time at first to get my brain in the habit of shifting so it become second nature. You do this in a manual because you have to or car does not move. With the DSG it is easy to leave in auto but then you get no practice.

A bit of info someone posted a while back on how to drive it.
I find in city driving taking off from first and making a turn at a light it is hard to paddle shift with wheel turned. This is the reason you can shift with the stick. When making the turn, reach down with right hand and push stick forward so you are in second. This will get you thru the turn and then you can go back to paddle shifters. Practice in city driving and this will help make it a reaction and not a thought.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
RTFM, you must (I'll spare you a stupid accompanying meme)
Read more in the thread. That question was already answered.

Also thread rules apply... Answer the questions without the silly RTFM posts. Sure lots of questions can be answered by the manual. But this thread is helpful for quick answers to seemingly "stupid" questions about the mk7 MQB golf platform. :cool:

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Read more in the thread. That question was already answered.

Also thread rules apply... Answer the questions without the silly RTFM posts. Sure lots of questions can be answered by the manual. But this thread is helpful for quick answers to seemingly "stupid" questions about the mk7 MQB golf platform. :cool:

I agree! Sometimes the questions just pop up while sitting on the John... or when we don't have access the the manual. it's awesome that this forum exists and so many members contribute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk