GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Has anyone installed something like this? How’d it look / how’d you like it? I get tired of seeing dust and stuff through that window View attachment 236083
I used the badgeskins kit... just make sure you order the $4 wedge to apply the damn thing. Also watch a youtube video first. They were quite easy to fit, its more of a set and forget it type of thing. You may be able to find someone in your area willing to tint it... but I couldn't.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I think that option is a black vinyl because you can add-on a squeegee. I thought maybe blacked out would look better than tinted? I guess I could tint it hella dark...

Ya got some pics Jim? How dark did you go?
Most tint shops will only want to tint the outside, tinting the inside requires popping the window out. I had the outside of mine tinted and have been happy with it, and certainly like it more than completely blocking it off

I don't have any pics of it up close but this should give a good idea - 35% front, 5% rear and sunvisor. The ceramic tint has a shinier look and isn't as dark as traditional tints

20211023_114441 cropped.jpg

20180803_115255.jpg

(jesus, car didn't feel like it was lowered that much until i see these pics next to each other 😅)

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Mine had no issues tinting the triangle. Didn't even have to ask for it.
I should have called out this dude I was trying to have tint my car. Instead I decided not to use him because of his response. I asked about that little window and he just goes "you can't tint that window". He could have told me it wasn't worth doing or he wasn't willing to do it, but to say you can't....cmon now.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I should have called out this dude I was trying to have tint my car. Instead I decided not to use him because of his response. I asked about that little window and he just goes "you can't tint that window". He could have told me it wasn't worth doing or he wasn't willing to do it, but to say you can't....cmon now.
I didn't even think about it when I brought mine in to be tinted. When I picked it up, they pointed out that they tinted the a-pillar windows, and how much it sucked for them. They even searched on the Internet and saw where lots of shops refused, but they figured they'd persevere and do it. They're a good shop...have brought several other cars there to them as a result.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My tint shop said they couldn't guarantee the triangles would look good. I told them not to bother. They did a great job otherwise. I guess they just didn't want the hassle.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think that option is a black vinyl because you can add-on a squeegee. I thought maybe blacked out would look better than tinted? I guess I could tint it hella dark...

Ya got some pics Jim? How dark did you go?
Came that way from the dealer and I honestly don't remember the percentage.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you want the little triangles tinted, it's best to find a shop that has a cutting machine that automatically cuts all the pieces they need. Most shops that hand cut (which I wouldn't want cutting on my car in the first place) have issue with cutting it on the outside and then getting it to fit when they apply on the inside. My shop had no issue, just a weird looking applicator to smooth it out. Both are tinted on the inside and look great.

Also helps if you get a shop that does Windshields too. Had Air 80 installed on the windshield while I was at it, didn't even have to ask about the triangles. Then again, this shop purchased the glass off a Tesla to get exact measurements as they're one of the few shops out here that does the whole rear glass on the 3s really well.