GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Standalone aa? What's the difference?
Standalone AA refers to running the android auto interface on your phones screen (like in a mount in your car), instead of displayed on the car screen. It's only for cars that do not have Android Auto, and to clarify some of the confusion in this thread, the app does not even exist in the latest version of Android, it's part of the Android OS now.

It is not what you are looking for. If you've already tried a different cable, best way to start troubleshooting would be to try a different phone, maybe even an iphone to see if Carplay works. If that's still no good maybe your usb port is no good. Does your phone register that it is at least charging while plugged in?

cb1111

Then you should have the ability to run AA on your phone.
Standalone AA refers to running the android auto interface on your phones screen (like in a mount in your car), instead of displayed on the car screen. It's only for cars that do not have Android Auto, and to clarify some of the confusion in this thread, the app does not even exist in the latest version of Android, it's part of the Android OS now.

It is not what you are looking for. If you've already tried a different cable, best way to start troubleshooting would be to try a different phone, maybe even an iphone to see if Carplay works. If that's still no good maybe your usb port is no good. Does your phone register that it is at least charging while plugged in?

To clarify some of the different terms we are bandying about.

Android Auto (on the phone) is running that (as you said) as a standalone app. There is no connection to your car.
Android Auto (on the car) uses a compatible car screen to display the AA from your phone on your car's screen. In most cases (VW for example), you use the car's controls to control the AA app on your phone.

Android Automotive - essentially Android Auto but the Google software is built into the car.

1642527627247.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Oh, yeah. AA is very finnicky about cables to the point that Google has provided a list of cables [FAQ] Tips for choosing a compatible USB cable for using Android Auto - Android Auto Community (google.com)
Saying AA is finicky is an understatement. Mine loves to randomly disconnect then act like I just plugged the phone in, usually multiple times in a row. Happened all the time on my Pixel 3 and it's started to happen with a Pixel 5. Even shelled out for the official VW cable which made it a bit more reliable but it's getting bad again. The phone shows it's plugged in and starts charging, it'll even show up as a USB device, but AA just can't figure itself out.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Saying AA is finicky is an understatement. Mine loves to randomly disconnect then act like I just plugged the phone in, usually multiple times in a row. Happened all the time on my Pixel 3 and it's started to happen with a Pixel 5. Even shelled out for the official VW cable which made it a bit more reliable but it's getting bad again. The phone shows it's plugged in and starts charging, it'll even show up as a USB device, but AA just can't figure itself out.
Switching to a higher quality cable solved that for me

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Do you clean your USB C port?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I used to have this issue with my S9+, thought it was a bad port and it was driving me bonkers. A light-bristled brush (like a soft toothbrush) and some CRC Contact Cleaner does wonders. Power off your phone before you clean it, clean it out good (you might need to carefully use a thin pick to scrape the lint out, but that can be risky business) and then hit it with compressed/canned air to blow out the connector, as well as to dry it out.

Typically I'll do the above once a month or so, and I don't have issues anymore. Biggest thing is to make sure you power the phone off before you begin, and be sure it's 100% dry before you power it back on. The contact cleaner seems to evaporate pretty quickly, but I still like to give it a minute or two to be safe.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Switching to a higher quality cable solved that for me
I'll give it a go. Got a Pixel one on my desk here.

I used to have this issue with my S9+, thought it was a bad port and it was driving me bonkers. A light-bristled brush (like a soft toothbrush) and some CRC Contact Cleaner does wonders. Power off your phone before you clean it, clean it out good (you might need to carefully use a thin pick to scrape the lint out, but that can be risky business) and then hit it with compressed/canned air to blow out the connector, as well as to dry it out.

Typically I'll do the above once a month or so, and I don't have issues anymore. Biggest thing is to make sure you power the phone off before you begin, and be sure it's 100% dry before you power it back on. The contact cleaner seems to evaporate pretty quickly, but I still like to give it a minute or two to be safe.
I've hit the car's USB-A with isopropyl a couple times but that's it. Looks like I'm getting some contact cleaner tomorrow.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Has anyone installed something like this? How’d it look / how’d you like it? I get tired of seeing dust and stuff through that window
43731D21-0FFE-4033-8E89-E0D3BC81772A.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Of course you need the app - unless the car has Android Automotive - which is different from Android Auto
I meant its built into phones now, so not even an option to download it, just the standalone version

Fdotorres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Has anyone installed/heard the Cobb exhaust? I'm looking for a relatively quiet 3", sub $1k option to couple with my catted downpipe that isn't obnoxious.