GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Do new shoes fuck with your shifting?
if they're the ones that have the heel sticking out like these then 1000x yes (they're not good for your feet either)

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
EQT doesn't require internet either and seems to be pretty popular these days. I am considering it myself. They use the Cobb AP and load their map on it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
EQT doesn't require internet either and seems to be pretty popular these days. I am considering it myself. They use the Cobb AP and load their map on it.

There's several different tuners tuning on Cobb and none require a constant internet connection. No internet connection while you're flashing a tune but you do need the internet to load the tune onto the Access Port.

ToddMS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI SE
My overhead door that holds the sunglasses snapped off. I’m using gorilla glue to fix the plastic tab and then I’m going to try to push it back in with the spring on the right side.
Stupid question but has anyone done this before? Researching it I think I have to replace the whole overhead console and not just the drop down compartment??
I’ve seen a few buttons for sale on AliExpress. Don’t know about the door.

rber

Car(s)
17 Golf GTI SE
Looking at EQT as well! It seems well reviewed.

I had a mechanic look at the MK7 GTI DSG I'm trying to buy and he noticed some "shudder" and a "clunk" sound when accelerating from a start. Is this normal?

rber

Car(s)
17 Golf GTI SE
If you drive it like an automatic, yes.

After looking into it, I think I get what you're saying. From my understanding (now), the DSG has a lag from a complete stop where the clutch is not engaged. I see recommendations to give it half a second or wait for the car to start moving forward before applying throttle. Is this what you're referencing?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
"Tip - Avoiding the Dreaded DSG Startup Lag - Release the brake, and don't throttle up until you feel the car inch forward or until you give it a half second count.
This is seen when you go from a full stop *BRAKES ON* position directly to the throttle, and there is a half to one second delay before you start moving. It happens regardless of hill hold settings, launch control, or various other settings.

One thing that is evident is that it is caused by a purposeful delay in the clutch engagement by the DSG when the brakes were *just* released (Including the handbrake, tried that). I am pretty sure the DSG waits until the brakes have been released for a specific amount of time before engaging the clutch. If you release the brake and wait until you feel the car inch forward then hit the throttle - you will start right up with no delay. Hill hold may prevent this workaround if you are on an incline, so if its bothersome you may consider disabling it. Have experiences with this? Post them!

Incidentally, I believe (my opinion) this is actually a "Feature" - a designed behavior for a DSG, not a bug or unintended effect. Common sense would suggest that if you were stopped at a light, it would be ridiculous for the DSG to be applying partial clutch pressure in the event you might want instant GO - just imagine the excess wear on the expensive clutch packs that would cause. The DSG instead monitors the brakes, and while you are stopped and the brakes on, the clutches have no need to be engaged (No need to cause all that wear). The delay you witness when stomping on the gas from a stopped brake position is likely just the sum of the time it takes for your brakes to release and the clutch to engage, so my guess is there really isn't much you can do to get rid of this designed behavior, just anticipate and work around it using the above tip. My 2 cents!"

A good read for you.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Basically if you take your foot off the brake quickly and go gas it can't engage the clutch fast enough, thus you get herky jerky take off.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
"Tip - Avoiding the Dreaded DSG Startup Lag - Release the brake, and don't throttle up until you feel the car inch forward or until you give it a half second count.
This is seen when you go from a full stop *BRAKES ON* position directly to the throttle, and there is a half to one second delay before you start moving. It happens regardless of hill hold settings, launch control, or various other settings.

One thing that is evident is that it is caused by a purposeful delay in the clutch engagement by the DSG when the brakes were *just* released (Including the handbrake, tried that). I am pretty sure the DSG waits until the brakes have been released for a specific amount of time before engaging the clutch. If you release the brake and wait until you feel the car inch forward then hit the throttle - you will start right up with no delay. Hill hold may prevent this workaround if you are on an incline, so if its bothersome you may consider disabling it. Have experiences with this? Post them!

Incidentally, I believe (my opinion) this is actually a "Feature" - a designed behavior for a DSG, not a bug or unintended effect. Common sense would suggest that if you were stopped at a light, it would be ridiculous for the DSG to be applying partial clutch pressure in the event you might want instant GO - just imagine the excess wear on the expensive clutch packs that would cause. The DSG instead monitors the brakes, and while you are stopped and the brakes on, the clutches have no need to be engaged (No need to cause all that wear). The delay you witness when stomping on the gas from a stopped brake position is likely just the sum of the time it takes for your brakes to release and the clutch to engage, so my guess is there really isn't much you can do to get rid of this designed behavior, just anticipate and work around it using the above tip. My 2 cents!"

A good read for you.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Basically if you take your foot off the brake quickly and go gas it can't engage the clutch fast enough, thus you get herky jerky take off.
All good tips. It took me a few months to get used to driving the DSG without it being rough

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Ok I’m not sure what’s going on, or if this is just normal for everyone, but I have the dsg, and when I have it in sport mode after doing a heavy acceleration, when I let off the throttle it makes this kind of flutter sound, it’s more pronounced in 3rd, but it will do it in every gear, and the weird part is that it only does it in sport and not in normal mode at all....anyone ever had this happen and know what it is??

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
getting a small exhaust pop on startup, have rs7 plugs with like 9k miles maybe 10, seems premature for misfires, what do yall think? I was thinking of changing them anyways to ruths

I don't know what it is but I doubt it's the plugs with that mileage on them. Check a couple to see how they are.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok I’m not sure what’s going on, or if this is just normal for everyone, but I have the dsg, and when I have it in sport mode after doing a heavy acceleration, when I let off the throttle it makes this kind of flutter sound, it’s more pronounced in 3rd, but it will do it in every gear, and the weird part is that it only does it in sport and not in normal mode at all....anyone ever had this happen and know what it is??

The trans is more aggressive in Sport mode. You said after heavy acceleration when you let off the throttle and if you're doing that suddenly it could just be boost pressure releasing.