GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If you don't glue you're likely to rust out the rocker panels since you're cutting through the paint. Glue will keep water out and keep it from pooling up between the skirt and rocker panel. I imagine there's a special type of glue in a caulk tube that can be used
It just drills into the oem side skirts, i dont even know what the rocker panels are

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It just drills into the oem side skirts, i dont even know what the rocker panels are
oh. ignore what i said then. thought oem got removed for aftermarket

Agray

Go Kart Champion
What do I need to know about running a RSB with Coilovers? The last thing I want to do is set myself up for a dangerous situation with more oversteer than I can handle.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
What do I need to know about running a RSB with Coilovers? The last thing I want to do is set myself up for a dangerous situation with more oversteer than I can handle.
I would say lowering the car isn't going to affect understeer or over steer as drastically as you are thinking. Just keep your RSB to a size that is normal and you will be fine 24-26 solid is good. I have 27 and its fine

Drys

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GSW TDI
How do you reset the front wiper swing position? Each time I turn on my wipers, the driver’s side one hits the window trim on full swing. I tried the service position on and off a few times but it did not fix the issue.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
How do you reset the front wiper swing position? Each time I turn on my wipers, the driver’s side one hits the window trim on full swing. I tried the service position on and off a few times but it did not fix the issue.
Pull the cap off the wiper and get a wiper puller or brute fore to pull wiper off, move it down one notch, profit

Drys

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GSW TDI
Pull the cap off the wiper and get a wiper puller or brute fore to pull wiper off, move it down one notch, profit
But I never moved it in the first place, I rather not alter the physical position when this can probably be fixed electronically - hopefully.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if only one is off you need to adjust it manually (98% sure). hint: start in service position and figure out which way you need to shift it

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Edit: It just started. I left the JNC on longer than before and I guess it juiced it up enough. Now I need to figure out why the battery died... (maybe I left the door open in the garage or something.)

What are the signs of a dead/dying battery on a MK7? Or, if not battery, starter?

I'm mostly unmodded except for upper and lower dogbone inserts, short shift adapter, clutch valve delay removal, etc. - I recently installed my JB4 and everything has been going fine running Map 3. I got into the car yesterday morning and it wouldn't start. Push the button, click, all the lights come on, Check Engine and EPC lights both stay on after it doesn't turn over. If I hold down the push button, it clicks repeatedly.

I got some random warnings like something about lights not enabled, front assist disabled, key not found, etc. (I tried my spare key and same thing happened.)

I have a Jump n Carry and tried to jump it off with that but it hasn't worked.

Before I go taking it to the dealer (removing JB4 first) I wanted to check with you all to see what your thoughts are, or next steps for diagnosing the issue. I could try jumping off my wife's car but would need to roll it out of the garage which I haven't wanted to do just yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: No faults stored in JB4 codes section.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Edit: It just started. I left the JNC on longer than before and I guess it juiced it up enough. Now I need to figure out why the battery died... (maybe I left the door open in the garage or something.)

What are the signs of a dead/dying battery on a MK7? Or, if not battery, starter?

I'm mostly unmodded except for upper and lower dogbone inserts, short shift adapter, clutch valve delay removal, etc. - I recently installed my JB4 and everything has been going fine running Map 3. I got into the car yesterday morning and it wouldn't start. Push the button, click, all the lights come on, Check Engine and EPC lights both stay on after it doesn't turn over. If I hold down the push button, it clicks repeatedly.

I got some random warnings like something about lights not enabled, front assist disabled, key not found, etc. (I tried my spare key and same thing happened.)

I have a Jump n Carry and tried to jump it off with that but it hasn't worked.

Before I go taking it to the dealer (removing JB4 first) I wanted to check with you all to see what your thoughts are, or next steps for diagnosing the issue. I could try jumping off my wife's car but would need to roll it out of the garage which I haven't wanted to do just yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: No faults stored in JB4 codes section.

Sounds like a totally dead battery.

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Sounds like the battery. How old is the car?

It's a 2017, 34k miles. I got it started by leaving the JNC on it for 15 mins or so.

This morning it tried to turn over but was dead again. I may need to jump itt again and leave it running for a little longer. Is there anything I might be missing that could be draining the battery?

Last edited: