GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I'm not going to top that much off with distilled. I'll get some G13. Just wanted to make sure it was the right thing to add in since what I have doesn't look "purple". I need to rent a spring compressor from Autozone, I'll just grab it while I'm there.

G13 is pinkish not purple.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does adding the light weight pulley actually add horsepower? Seems like most sites say 5-10hp because it weighs less and throttle response is better, anyone have experience with this?

If you're talking about the crankshaft pulley Fluidampr doesn't make any claims of added power.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hmm, not the fluidampr one, isnt there 2?
this, or is this the same spot at the fluidampr
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspee...MIwM6Z5oC16QIVCI-GCh2WXQ-jEAQYASABEgJRivD_BwE

Yes there's 2 pulleys. The crankshaft pulley and the alternator pulley. Fluidampr is the crankshaft pulley. Even though it cost more if I was going to replace my crankshaft pulley I would get the Fluidampr one. I wouldn't buy the ECS kit just for the claimed 5-7 HP gain. I do plan on getting the Fluidampr crankshaft pulley but not for power but better engine protection from vibrations.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I don't remember it telling me before but the low air sensor did tell me which tire it was....I may have picked up something cause I had recently adjusted tire pressure after my 480 mile tank quest..... Rt Front was down to 15 and dropped again after refilling it. Anyone else see it telling you what tire was low?

I know it uses wheel speed sensor and to fix the dang thing It went off less than 1 mile after start up 1st time.

;)

Mud

Golf457

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a question that makes me sound stupid - "How do I change my battery when it dies?" I've read that with start-stop batteries you can't charge them with traditional chargers and you can't just swap them for a new battery. I even read something about having to 'code' them before they will work. Is this true? Do I have to take it to a dealer just to change the battery?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't remember it telling me before but the low air sensor did tell me which tire it was....I may have picked up something cause I had recently adjusted tire pressure after my 480 mile tank quest..... Rt Front was down to 15 and dropped again after refilling it. Anyone else see it telling you what tire was low?

I know it uses wheel speed sensor and to fix the dang thing It went off less than 1 mile after start up 1st time.

;)

Mud

When I used the OEM system it did tell me which tire was low. I have since switched to the Orange Electronics system which shows the actual pressure in each tire.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a question that makes me sound stupid - "How do I change my battery when it dies?" I've read that with start-stop batteries you can't charge them with traditional chargers and you can't just swap them for a new battery. I even read something about having to 'code' them before they will work. Is this true? Do I have to take it to a dealer just to change the battery?

If you want to keep using the auto start/stop function you'll need the proper battery size because it has a bigger battery. My dealer told me that I could use an aftermarket battery but could have some problems from the safety systems such as front collision braking etc if they didn't do the battery adaptation. They said the car would run without the adaptation and that they would do the adaptation for free regardless of where I purchased the battery. I priced aftermarket batteries and my dealer price for the OEM battery wasn't any more expensive and since they will install it and do the adaptation for free I'll just get an OEM battery.

Golf457

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want to keep using the auto start/stop function you'll need the proper battery size because it has a bigger battery. My dealer told me that I could use an aftermarket battery but could have some problems from the safety systems such as front collision braking etc if they didn't do the battery adaptation. They said the car would run without the adaptation and that they would do the adaptation for free regardless of where I purchased the battery. I priced aftermarket batteries and my dealer price for the OEM battery wasn't any more expensive and since they will install it and do the adaptation for free I'll just get an OEM battery.
Thanks Jim,
Maybe I'll call my dealer here in the UK and see if it's the same pricing arrangement. Looking on Car Euro Parts they charge £470 for the battery :eek: although they do often have sales and it was half price 2 weeks ago. Shame we can't buy a battery in advance without having to buy a 'modern' charger.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
so my maxton designs side skirts came today, sad that im going to have to get ride of my oem mud guards as its really not going to line up perfect with them. That being said, instructions say to use "glue" which isn't included. Each side has 10 self drilling screws, has anyone just drilled it in? I feel like the glue part is unnecessary.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
so my maxton designs side skirts came today, sad that im going to have to get ride of my oem mud guards as its really not going to line up perfect with them. That being said, instructions say to use "glue" which isn't included. Each side has 10 self drilling screws, has anyone just drilled it in? I feel like the glue part is unnecessary.

Maybe it's so that it seals tight between the screws.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
No glue, we will see what happens, other guys i know didnt glue
If you don't glue you're likely to rust out the rocker panels since you're cutting through the paint. Glue will keep water out and keep it from pooling up between the skirt and rocker panel. I imagine there's a special type of glue in a caulk tube that can be used