GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This car was leased to someone for the entirety of its ownership and there is recorded maintenance but hard to know how they drove it or took care of it. I was considering going with a 2011 4 dr 6mt with 92k for the same price.

I would look for something with much lower mileage. What price range are you looking for? You definitely don't want a 2011 model and then start to mod it.

ToddMS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI SE
Had my car about a month but haven’t really looked into why there are like 5 slots for SD cards. Does any one actually use these? 4 in the glove box and 1 in the cubby next to the steering wheel. You can see the 4 in this pic:
1590813250063.jpeg

Also why do the coin slots On the glove box door only fit one or two coins What do you guys do for change?
Oh and 1 more thing, I got a headrest trash thing for excess trash in the car, but can’t figure out how to get the headrests off.
1590813351763.jpeg

2018 Golf TSI

MtnRiverCruiser

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti Manual
Both of these ones I mentioned are about 8500 each. I found a 2013 golf r with 82k for 17k. my original intension was to have a fun car on a budget and that's why when I found a 1 owner mk7 for 8500 I figured why not. I am starting to think tho getting into an R would be great those things will only become more rare just like the r32s I would think.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What's the normal procedure for selling an item and using PayPal for payment? The way I see it is the buyer should send the money and upon receipt the seller then ships the product. My thinking is if the seller tries to screw the buyer and not send the item PayPal will refund the buyer. But if the seller sends the item before payment he has no recourse through PayPal if the buyer doesn't send the money. What's normal?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
What's the normal procedure for selling an item and using PayPal for payment? The way I see it is the buyer should send the money and upon receipt the seller then ships the product. My thinking is if the seller tries to screw the buyer and not send the item PayPal will refund the buyer. But if the seller sends the item before payment he has no recourse through PayPal if the buyer doesn't send the money. What's normal?
Both buying and selling I have had or sent payment first, then shipped/ received Item. Others may differ, but I wouldnt think very many.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Buyer should send money first (goods and services for their protection). After that the seller should get the product out ASAP with tracking number and insurance and then upload the number to PayPal while also giving it to the buyer

Chicken wannabe

Car(s)
NONE YET!
Hi guys, I think I have a stupid question.

I am (was?) in the process of buying an used Mk7, a 2016 one with only about 26,000 miles on it. Things were going well, I tried the car without pushing it, though, but it seemed to be in order, apart from the front brakes that had to be replaced. But now that I made a deposit, the dealer calls me back saying the turbo was done for and needed to be replaced, for free. Alarm bells started ringing loud in my head. A turbo shouldn't be dead with so few miles on it apart from a lack of lubrication, right? And if that's the case, wouldn't the engine had suffered from the same lack of lubrication, most probably reducing the life of the engine, right?

What would you do?

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Thank you. That's what I initially intended to do, but I wanted to make sure with you guys first.
Brakes and Turbo at 26k sounds like that car was DRIVEN. No telling what else the turbo took out without a through investigation by the dealer. Unlikely to happen. Was the car modified at all that you could tell?

Chicken wannabe

Car(s)
NONE YET!
Brakes and Turbo at 26k sounds like that car was DRIVEN. No telling what else the turbo took out without a through investigation by the dealer. Unlikely to happen. Was the car modified at all that you could tell?

Nope. But then, I'm a newbie, not a mechanic and apart from the lack of tinted windows and aftermarket wheels, it showed no sign of being abused.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You could request an explanation on the failure and how they came to notice it post-test drive. If it’s something simple like a failed WG (I think they swap a new turbo for this) and the dealer/service manager is upfront and honest about everything then it’s a call you need to make on how much you’re set on buying that car. Will the purchase include factory warranty too?