GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

theBrandler

Ready to race!
I notice when I press the gas pedal down all the way, towards the end of the travel there is resistance, and then if I continue to push, the resistance give, and the pedal moves a little bit more. It honestly feels like a I'm pressing a button at the end of the pedal travel.

What is that? I can't say as I notice any more sound or speed when I press into that extra bit of travel.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I notice when I press the gas pedal down all the way, towards the end of the travel there is resistance, and then if I continue to push, the resistance give, and the pedal moves a little bit more. It honestly feels like a I'm pressing a button at the end of the pedal travel.

What is that? I can't say as I notice any more sound or speed when I press into that extra bit of travel.

It's a button. It will auto down shift i'm pretty sure if you're in manual mode but not in the lowest gear

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What does it do if I'm in drive or sport? Nothing? Is it just there so you can literally down shift with your foot when in manual mode?:rolleyes:

It's there as a safety precaution. If you forget you are in manual mode and need to accelerate rapidly it says "yo DSG, downshift!". Also helps to prevent ruining the DSG by people flooring it in 6th gear at 60mph. That's hard on any tranny.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If I've never noticed this resistance at the end does that mean I've never hit kickdown/floored it?

nype

Drag Racing Champion

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

It's called the "Kickdown Switch."

Think of the very bottom of your pedal travel as 100% and the kickdown switch as "110%" throttle.

It's pretty fucking useless. The difference between full throttle and kickdown is that, with kickdown, the DSG will downshift to the *absolute* lowest gear it possibly can given your current vehicle speed. At certain speeds, this is the difference between downshifting to ~4.5K RPM in 3rd, and ~6.5K RPM in 2nd.

In the above scenario, you are actually going way slower using the kickdown switch than regular "full throttle," since it will downshift to a gear/RPM where you have no power, then immediately afterward upshift, dump boost, then get back on it lol. Just going str8 to 3rd in such a situation is much more fruitful.

The end.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Think of the very bottom of your pedal travel as 100% and the kickdown switch as "110%" throttle.

It's pretty fucking useless. The difference between full throttle and kickdown is that, with kickdown, the DSG will downshift to the *absolute* lowest gear it possibly can given your current vehicle speed. At certain speeds, this is the difference between downshifting to ~4.5K RPM in 3rd, and ~6.5K RPM in 2nd.

In the above scenario, you are actually going way slower using the kickdown switch than regular "full throttle," since it will downshift to a gear/RPM where you have no power, then immediately afterward upshift, dump boost, then get back on it lol. Just going str8 to 3rd in such a situation is much more fruitful.

The end.

Usually if I want to give her the beans I pop the shifter to the side and bump down a few gears manually because I've noticed the same things you brought up here

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
When you need the juice, hitting the left paddle becomes a reflex without thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Usually if I want to give her the beans I pop the shifter to the side and bump down a few gears manually because I've noticed the same things you brought up here

Yeah i mean it's funny, for me I use all 3 transmission modes throughout any given drive. I use S to slow down because of the engine braking, I use here and there for fun, I use D as well. I mess with it so much my friends have said "I thought this was an automatic?" lolololol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
When you need the juice, hitting the left paddle becomes a reflex without thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and goes back to D or S in 3 seconds...love that feature

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

The end.

Does the regular Golf have this "feature" as well. There definitely is a point where you can force the accelerator pedal slightly further down than it would typically go while flooring it.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Does the regular Golf have this "feature" as well. There definitely is a point where you can force the accelerator pedal slightly further down than it would typically go while flooring it.

Yes with a DSG.