GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Mod Guide for the Clueless Quarantined Dad...

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Are the ECS Atmospheric Diverter Valve Spacers any good?

Seems like an easy install and be fun to try... even if it gets old its only $50

I am almost ashamed to admit I have one installed on my APR stage 1 sportwagen. I don't think i could live with myself putting it on a non tuned car, but it sure does put a smile on my face when it dumps 22psi between shift. Its so childish, but still subtle. For the money I say go for it, and like was mentioned it doesnt hurt anything.

Car looks good!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
get an alignment. The factory alignment was written by accountants... You want toe zero front, all the negative camber you can get out of the front (won't be much, but better than nothing), similar negative camber in rear (maybe slightly less than front), and about 0.12 decimal degrees toe in rear.

If you go to an alignment shop they will tell you front camber isn't adjustable, and they're technically right, so don't bother asking them. The additional front negative camber comes from removing the slack in the strut top mount and the LCA ball joint bolts, so it's best to remove all the slack and do this yourself before going for the alignment.

If he decides on the 26mm RSB, then your recommended rear camber is off. With the rear sway, max out front and -1.8 rear. You toe recommendations are spot on. The 26mm rear sway is a must on GTI, along with decent tires and some OBD11 tweaks. Transforms the car.

Last edited:

1970something

Ready to race!
GTIfan99, can you elaborate a bit on how to maximize front negative camber by taking up slack in the top mount and the ball joint? I’m having trouble visualizing what you mean.

Alternatively is there another thread on this somewhere?

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Diesel Geek short shifter if no one has recommended that yet. You will love it

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
GTIfan99, can you elaborate a bit on how to maximize front negative camber by taking up slack in the top mount and the ball joint? I’m having trouble visualizing what you mean.

Alternatively is there another thread on this somewhere?

-loosen all three ball joint bolts, pull outboard, retighten & torque.

-same process, but push inboard on the strut mount to tower bolts

I can’t imagine this makes a notable difference, and have never bothered to do it, but I get what he’s saying. Also the strut mount bolts are TTY so they’d need replaced.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I can’t imagine this makes a notable difference, and have never bothered to do it, but I get what he’s saying. Also the strut mount bolts are TTY so they’d need replaced.

You'd be suprised what a few well-placed swipes with a rat-tail file can achieve...
(Just to clean up things, of course.)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You'd be suprised what a few well-placed swipes with a rat-tail file can achieve...
(Just to clean up things, of course.)

Definitely worth doing if the cars already apart. Not sure I’d file the strut towers though since I plan to keep my car till it’s the equivalent of a mk1. Bad spot to risk rust

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Definitely worth doing if the cars already apart. Not sure I’d file the strut towers though since I plan to keep my car till it’s the equivalent of a mk1. Bad spot to risk rust

I'm not sure there's any paint in those holes now, so not sure it would make any difference and you could always put a little primer over anything you file.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

It netted me an additional -0.4 each side. That will obviously vary car to car, but both of my mk7's had significant gains at the LCA/balljoint..

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Agree on not touching the top strut holes. Probably the last location you want to expose to potential rust!
A good friend raced a Mk. 1 Rabbit in the Bilstein Rabbit Series. He, and I'll bet all the competitive cars, had slotted the ball joint bolt holes to get more camber. Every little bit helps.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Agree on not touching the top strut holes. Probably the last location you want to expose to potential rust!
A good friend raced a Mk. 1 Rabbit in the Bilstein Rabbit Series. He, and I'll bet all the competitive cars, had slotted the ball joint bolt holes to get more camber. Every little bit helps.

Ive owned two Mk1, but only long enough to save them & flip them (both had sat for 10+ years and earned driver status).

I’m really looking forward to picking one up to hang onto someday, just haven’t had the space till now

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Comparing the corrosion resistance of steel used in 1984 to 2020 isn't really a fair, now is it? It's not hard to add a little primer. I'm planning on keep my 2019 Rabbit edition for a long time and I'm going to slot the hell out of those mounting holes. If I had another way to stay ST legal I would, but there isn't. I don't think it's an issue. I just don't think I'll get an additional -0.5, which is what I'm looking for.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Comparing the corrosion resistance of steel used in 1984 to 2020 isn't really a fair, now is it? It's not hard to add a little primer. I'm planning on keep my 2019 Rabbit edition for a long time and I'm going to slot the hell out of those mounting holes. If I had another way to stay ST legal I would, but there isn't. I don't think it's an issue. I just don't think I'll get an additional -0.5, which is what I'm looking for.

ST legal is probably a gray area, but I’m sure anyone competitive on any level is bending the rules a lot more than that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm sure there's plenty of people that accidentally ordered a TTRS clutch for their car or didn't mean to load that DSG tune when then intalled their AP, wink, wink, but I really am trying to keep the car legal. Especially something that you can see with the naked eye, like LCA, hub carrier and strut mounts.