GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Mod Guide for the Clueless Quarantined Dad...

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Along with my dash cam recommendation, I took the Crosstour front and rear setup I had in the R-Line that VW bought back and just put it in the GLI. This was the fun part....
20200330_133413.jpg

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
All I'm sure... I didn't even use anything but water, and micro cloths

Whats the best product to use for the plastic?

I use Prima Nero, but one can source Aerospace303 locally. They are very similar. You can use it straight, or I like to dilute it 50:50 with distilled water to minimize the shine. It leaves a matte finish great for interior plastics too.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I use Prima Nero, but one can source Aerospace303 locally. They are very similar. You can use it straight, or I like to dilute it 50:50 with distilled water to minimize the shine. It leaves a matte finish great for interior plastics too.
I like 303, but I tend to wipe it off with the back side of the applicator to keep the shine down as much as possible.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I like 303, but I tend to wipe it off with the back side of the applicator to keep the shine down as much as possible.

I'm not certain which applicator you are using, but for engine bay I spray (fine mist) the 50:50 diluted solution over plastics, let it sit for a little bit before wiping off excess with a MF towel. For interior, I spray into the towel and apply. If you prefer a more matte finish, the Prima Nero is the way to go. Detailer's Paradise originally benchmarked the Aerospace303 and made it less shiny.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
@JK105, what did you use to clean up your engine compartment so nicely? I've used Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner for years successfully, but when I used it on my '17 Sport, it left a whitish haze on all the black trim. And I applied it to a cold engine & thoroughly rinsed it off, just like the instructions said. It looks like crap.
Anybody got any ideas on how to both clean the engine compartment & get the plastic back to a proper black?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'll agree with the jb4. Made a night and day difference in the car. Really woke it up. The only downfall is (like myself), you have a 6mt. I had clutch slipping within 5k miles of adding the jb4. Once you do the power add ons of your choice, time to look into brakes. I did a write up on using 4 piston audi a4 calipers. Huge improvement! Getting an obdeleven is high on the list also. Lots of free/cheap mods that are really easy. Plus one for the boomba shifter adapter also. There is the bleeder block restrictor delete and the snail valve delete also. Good write ups on the forum for those also. Snow grate removal and good drop in filter are quick and easy mods that help. Ss clutch line is a good one also. The main thing is just have fun and make it a family event. Happy moding!!!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
@JK105, what did you use to clean up your engine compartment so nicely? I've used Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner for years successfully, but when I used it on my '17 Sport, it left a whitish haze on all the black trim. And I applied it to a cold engine & thoroughly rinsed it off, just like the instructions said. It looks like crap.
Anybody got any ideas on how to both clean the engine compartment & get the plastic back to a proper black?
A scrub brush and soapy water or waterless wash usually works. If there's cosmoline or any oil/coolant leaks, I'll use a degreaser like P21s, diluted as much as possible to still clean off the issues. Then dry thoroughly and apply a water based protectant like 303.

JK105

Passed Driver's Ed

I really just used some water in a spray bottle with a lot of elbow grease spent about 4 hrs on it drinking a few beers and listening to music.

i did check my coolant level and it is low...

You ride Moto? I’ve been around Moto my whole life ...

Again, I really want to say thanks for all of input from everybody! I’m going to have to go back to each post and start doing my research! The OBD 11 is something that I’m super interested in and have wanted to do since I bought the car.

I’m use to Moto forums where everyone basically just tells you STFU Noob lol.

JK105

Passed Driver's Ed
Whatever mods you do, get your sons off of Fortnite and involved with the build!
Some of my best days were days I got to hang out with my dad in the garage and fix stuff on cars. Even if I didn't think it was fun then, I learned a lot from it and those wrenching skills/knowledge come in handy almost every day of my life and I take any opportunity I can to work on stuff with my dad.

PS your coolant looks a little low, mine looks the same way. Could just be that the car is hot and the reservoir is still pressurized though

I‘m trying my hardest! The oldest (10 yr old) is already claiming this is car when he turns 16 haha. Might just have to do it so dad can have an excuse to get a 2026 lol.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I really just used some water in a spray bottle with a lot of elbow grease spent about 4 hrs on it drinking a few beers and listening to music.

i did check my coolant level and it is low...

You ride Moto? I’ve been around Moto my whole life ...

Again, I really want to say thanks for all of input from everybody! I’m going to have to go back to each post and start doing my research! The OBD 11 is something that I’m super interested in and have wanted to do since I bought the car.

I’m use to Moto forums where everyone basically just tells you STFU Noob lol.
Granted you're not in Illinois, but Ohio isn't too far away. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, any obd tweak you'd ever want I'll do for free, after the apocalypse of course.