GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
wow, sounds bad.
I noticed it again during today drive, it appeared between 1 to 2k rev and 30 miles.
Once it out of this range, it disappear so.

You received tons of bad information.

Bone stock these cars are basically silent. That annoying sound is the soundeckor (little noise maker mounted under the wiper cowl for fake engine/exhaust sounds). It can be turned off or removed completely.

AWE Track (or any other catback every built) alone will not drone either...

BUT add a downpipe to the mix and it’ll drone. Basically anyone’s opinion on exhaust without an aftermarket downpipe is invalid, because the stock downpipe is so restrictive thus keeping things relatively tame regardless of what’s after it.

695232269@qq.com

You received tons of bad information.

Bone stock these cars are basically silent. That annoying sound is the soundeckor (little noise maker mounted under the wiper cowl for fake engine/exhaust sounds). It can be turned off or removed completely.

AWE Track (or any other catback every built) alone will not drone either...

BUT add a downpipe to the mix and it’ll drone. Basically anyone’s opinion on exhaust without an aftermarket downpipe is invalid, because the stock downpipe is so restrictive thus keeping things relatively tame regardless of what’s after it.
? thank u.
I deactivate the soundactor however.
and I barely drive in sport mode, so I think that not the problem.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I wouldn't say tons of bad info. The sound aktor at 2k RPM/30 mph isn't loud or bad and certainly doesn't match the description of drone.... Least not to me.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't say tons of bad info. The sound aktor at 2k RPM/30 mph isn't loud or bad and certainly doesn't match the description of drone.... Least not to me.

I was talking about AWE track not droning with a downpipe.

If the OP or anyone else has a stock downpipe drone is about impossible to experience.

The symptoms don’t match any drone situation really, up to 30mph isn’t a high load situation that would cause drone like 70-90 mph on the highway, especially uphill

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was talking about AWE track not droning with a downpipe.

If the OP or anyone else has a stock downpipe drone is about impossible to experience.

The symptoms don’t match any drone situation really, up to 30mph isn’t a high load situation that would cause drone like 70-90 mph on the highway, especially uphill

Ahhhhhh......sorry Jake, my mistake. Rough evening and doing this at a stop light = fail

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hey Jake

I currently have a Unitronic 3" catted downpipe with the AWE track exhaust.
The boomy drone at 1800-2100rpm is unbearable. Is the best thing to add to this still the Vibrant 17950? Ideally I want to keep the violent throaty noise especially when WOT 3k+ rpm but this booming drone on the highway is driving me crazy..lol. Hoping this res tones down the drone but keeps the sound.

The AWE piping is 3" I believe so it should be as easy as cutting the pipe out and welding this reasonator in, right?

Appreciate any help!

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Jake

I currently have a Unitronic 3" catted downpipe with the AWE track exhaust.
The boomy drone at 1800-2100rpm is unbearable. Is the best thing to add to this still the Vibrant 17950? Ideally I want to keep the violent throaty noise especially when WOT 3k+ rpm but this booming drone on the highway is driving me crazy..lol. Hoping this res tones down the drone but keeps the sound.

The AWE piping is 3" I believe so it should be as easy as cutting the pipe out and welding this reasonator in, right?

Appreciate any help!

I think the res would help but may need a larger muffler as well. I have the res and jakes catted DP and I need to go back to stock muffler due to same reason. I will post sound clips after if you're curious or maybe if you want to hear it in person we can meet up.

Jake has a resonated midpipe (17950) made for AWE fitment. That would mean you don't need to make any cuts or welds would just be clamp into place. But otherwise yes you would just need to cut the midpipe and weld the 17950 in since they are all 3" tubing.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
es and jakes catted DP and I nee
Honestly if it got rid of 60% of the drone, I would be happy. I don't expect it to get rid of all the drone but I cant drive my car on the highway daily like this lol.

So exactly what exhaust do you have? Mine is a catted unitronic downpipe + AWE track (1 muffler) so I was hoping that adding that res would take that drone away. I just installed the downpipe last weekend, before that I had absolutely zero drone. Like 100% nothing

I know that his midpipe piece or even the AWE touring piece would be ideal but the price is just a lot more and I don't mind getting it welded anyhow.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly if it got rid of 60% of the drone, I would be happy. I don't expect it to get rid of all the drone but I cant drive my car on the highway daily like this lol.

So exactly what exhaust do you have? Mine is a catted unitronic downpipe + AWE track (1 muffler) so I was hoping that adding that res would take that drone away. I just installed the downpipe last weekend, before that I had absolutely zero drone. Like 100% nothing

I know that his midpipe piece or even the AWE touring piece would be ideal but the price is just a lot more and I don't mind getting it welded anyhow.

I have Jakes V2 catted DP, Jakes midpipe (17950), and a muffler delete. The thing honestly doesn't have too much drone at 1800-2100 but it roars so loud on throttle around 2.5k and up. Like I'm scared to go on throttle cause I feel like I'll go deaf. I did it in a tunnel for the giggles and it was crazy. I just installed DP as well and it's just cause downpipe adds so much sound.
The resonator may help with drone for sure but as highway cruisers I think more needs to be taken out of it.

Welding it's perfectly fine as long as you have a decent shop to keep the fitment OK. Figure that would be about $110 USD or so for the res after shipping and tax and another $50 or so in labor for the install. You'd just get slightly nicer quality from Jake but a little less than double the price

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have Jakes V2 catted DP, Jakes midpipe (17950), and a muffler delete. The thing honestly doesn't have too much drone at 1800-2100 but it roars so loud on throttle around 2.5k and up. Like I'm scared to go on throttle cause I feel like I'll go deaf. I did it in a tunnel for the giggles and it was crazy. I just installed DP as well and it's just cause downpipe adds so much sound.
The resonator may help with drone for sure but as highway cruisers I think more needs to be taken out of it.

Welding it's perfectly fine as long as you have a decent shop to keep the fitment OK. Figure that would be about $110 USD or so for the res after shipping and tax and another $50 or so in labor for the install. You'd just get slightly nicer quality from Jake but a little less than double the price

So you have a Catted DP to the vibrant res and then tips. I have the same but an additional muffler that comes on the Track so it should be quieter than yours.

I found the res for $77 USD free shipping from amazon and then I have found a couple shops around here that charge around $75 CAD to weld in.
I think the AWE Touring is $250 USD + shipping and Jakes is $200USD + shipping? Correct me if im wrong.
I don't doubt that the AWE Touring piece or Jake's is much better quality and cleaner but I just don't care all that much..lol

Last edited:

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Yep yours would be quieter than mine with that muffler on. It'll depend on your tastes obviously idk what'd it would be like I can update you after I get my OEM muffler welded back on tomorrow. Just saying that without a muffler it's crazy loud I would imagine you would want a pretty sizeable muffler to help aka OEM.

I would say that's the best bang for your buck then. You're about right and I think prices would be more expensive shipped to Canada too. I say go the resonator route it's hefty and it'll deal with lots of low end drone. You'll probably have some at around 2.8K but hopefully it's bearable.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yep yours would be quieter than mine with that muffler on. It'll depend on your tastes obviously idk what'd it would be like I can update you after I get my OEM muffler welded back on tomorrow. Just saying that without a muffler it's crazy loud I would imagine you would want a pretty sizeable muffler to help aka OEM.

I would say that's the best bang for your buck then. You're about right and I think prices would be more expensive shipped to Canada too. I say go the resonator route it's hefty and it'll deal with lots of low end drone. You'll probably have some at around 2.8K but hopefully it's bearable.
Cool thanks for your help/info.

I think I will go ahead and order that res, I have a PO box in Blaine so I just boot over to get parts.
I dont mind drone around 2.8k because I usually cruise at 1900-2100 and then romp on it 2700+ haha.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Cool thanks for your help/info.

I think I will go ahead and order that res, I have a PO box in Blaine so I just boot over to get parts.
I dont mind drone around 2.8k because I usually cruise at 1900-2100 and then romp on it 2700+ haha.

No problem. Yea that's a good idea haha I should do the same for stuff I want from Canada.

Also yea I don't mind that either because that's when I want it a little loud although sometimes my highway cruising can get up to 2600 at the right speeds. But right now with muffler delete its just loud and sounds like a butt trumpet.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
No problem. Yea that's a good idea haha I should do the same for stuff I want from Canada.

Also yea I don't mind that either because that's when I want it a little loud although sometimes my highway cruising can get up to 2600 at the right speeds. But right now with muffler delete its just loud and sounds like a butt trumpet.

Well she's been ordered, I will update here once I get it installed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The 17950 will absolutely tame his awe track with a downpipe.

Vulticgti having no muffler makes a big difference, AWE actually uses a really big muffler so it’ll be nothing like your set up.

Due to the massive AWE muffler that set up is usually too tame for most people (still better than drone though)