GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Prices have slowly crept back up. When I bought mine it was somewhere around $900 shipped. I have part number 791A so it has the symbols for Park/ABS/etc.

I know we don't really care about MSRP... but the MSRP for these is about $1,500. I can't remember what they were showing for MSRP 18 months ago but I thought it was around $1,300.
Sounds about right, almost every website showed about a $1,300-1,400 MSRP and the purchase price was discounted to about $850-$900.
I don't even remember when I purchased the dash, it took me like 3-4 months before I even got to put it in.

RAY_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I may tackle this project in spring. I've gone thru the whole thread and if someone could validate my simplified summarization. I have a 2018 GTI Autobahn and OBD11.

1. Remove trims and loosen instrument cluster.
2. Go to dealer so they can install digital cluster and deal with immo and both keys.
3. Pick up the car from dealer and the digital cluster installed.
4. Finish the install with the optical splitter cable and coding.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I may tackle this project in spring. I've gone thru the whole thread and if someone could validate my simplified summarization. I have a 2018 GTI Autobahn and OBD11.

2. Go to dealer so they can install digital cluster and deal with immo and both keys.
Pretty much!

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado

Just remember to have them code the odometer. Write down your mileage before the swap.

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes, please! But if you don't care about the odometer I might know someone selling one for pretty cheap, haha. With appx 10,633 miles on it, maybe.
It's worth noting that there's a new edict from VAG HQ to deter the use of used instrument clusters.

Starting this month, the relevant brand has to give approval for the fitment of a used cluster by way of an application form that must be emailed to the brand.

As part of the application, the brand will be checking for correctness. Word on the street is that an AID will not be "correct" and the application will be declined.

Red100

Finally everything working !! flashed 795 with 791

if someone need 791 flash just PM me
hello mate how you doing?

i have the same situation like yours hope to get help from you

here the situation.... i retrofitted my 7.5 17 with a vc origin from not a GTE golf but from full electric golf Egolf hardware number is 795B
so a mate helped me to the hardware version to 791B...After coding online with odis all works fine except the fuel guage.
after all this no errors in 17 and my gateway is a high version gw but didnt update it just to anounce you that

i dont know further what to do and im hopeless .i asked my friend who flashed the cluster he said that he gonna try to change the internal version of the cluster and he forgot to do that .....what does that it means No ideas!
my cuation to you how did you manage to fix your problem? is there any tips that you can tell me to sort this out

thank you in advance mate

Stellettorider

Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagon
Question I have a 2019 Golf Sport wagon Canadian Execline edition with the Discover media Gen2GP. It does have NAV and the Fender stereo but does not have a MOST connector on the back of the Dash display (p/n 5G6919606D).
The head unit in the glove box does have the MOST connector. would the splitter cable only connect to the head unit to the original MOST cable and then across to the AID? Also the MOST connector on the back of the head unit seems to have a different connector type than the splitter cable. Has anyone had experience installing the AID with this setup? Parts are all here and it is going in tomorrow for the AID installation. I would really like to have the splitter cable in tonight prior to the dealer visit.

Stellettorider

Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagon
Question I have a 2019 Golf Sport wagon Canadian Execline edition with the Discover media Gen2GP. It does have NAV and the Fender stereo but does not have a MOST connector on the back of the Dash display (p/n 5G6919606D).
The head unit in the glove box does have the MOST connector. would the splitter cable only connect to the head unit to the original MOST cable and then across to the AID? Also the MOST connector on the back of the head unit seems to have a different connector type than the splitter cable. Has anyone had experience installing the AID with this setup? Parts are all here and it is going in tomorrow for the AID installation. I would really like to have the splitter cable in tonight prior to the dealer visit.
Well in a light bulb going off over my head moment I answered my own questions.
I was looking at the wrong connector on the back of the head unit. The issue I now have is that the splitter cable will need to have 2 long ( at least 65 cm long) wires and one shorter one to work on a 2019.

twopoyntoh

Car(s)
2021 GTI (MK7.5)
Has anybody with a 2020 or 2021 Mk7.5 done this yet?

I ask because I gave it a shot with the 5G1920791B cluster and it would not adapt to the vehicle using ODIS at the dealer. Keys were not recognized at all when held near the coil (but on the old cluster, 5G1920856E, they were recognized and adapted fine) and as far as I could tell, the programming was never successfully written to the cluster (no VIN written after ODIS said it successfully wrote all the values from the old cluster).

Additionally, there are no MOST connections part of the MIB 3 system.

If anybody has done this, I'd be curious to find out how you managed it.

At this point I'm thinking of trying something like a MK8 cluster for kicks and giggles as it has the single cluster connection on the back and nothing more. Physically, I'm not sure what would fit, but if anybody has any ideas for an MQB cluster from around the same generation as our MK7's with a single connection on the back, please let me know! :)

Last edited:

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado

I ask because I gave it a shot with the 5G1920791B cluster and it would not adapt to the vehicle using ODIS at the dealer. Keys were not recognized at all when held near the coil (but on the old cluster, 5G1920856E, they were recognized and adapted fine) and as far as I could tell, the programming was never successfully written to the cluster (no VIN written after ODIS said it successfully wrote all the values from the old cluster).

At this point I'm thinking of trying something like a MK8 cluster for kicks and giggles as it has the single cluster connection on the back and nothing more. Physically, I'm not sure what would fit, but if anybody has any ideas for an MQB cluster from around the same generation as our MK7's with a single connection on the back, please let me know! :)
I'll bet the MK8 dash will be compatible in some way. But also the MIB3 OtA updates may be an issue.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R

I just pulled the headunit in the glovebox on my 2021 SE MIB3 without Fender and there is no MOST connector. Can someone with Fender audio (2021 Autobahn) pull it to see if there is a MOST connector and if so provide part number and confirm there is a MOST connector by attaching a pic?

I was really hoping for the MOST connector because it would mean I could have a full digital transmission path less resistant to noise even though it would add $800 to my stereo install. How is audio transmitted to the amp on models with Fender now if not over MOST?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I just pulled the headunit in the glovebox on my 2021 SE MIB3 without Fender and there is no MOST connector. Can someone with Fender audio (2021 Autobahn) pull it to see if there is a MOST connector and if so provide part number and confirm there is a MOST connector by attaching a pic?

I was really hoping for the MOST connector because it would mean I could have a full digital transmission path less resistant to noise even though it would add $800 to my stereo install. How is audio transmitted to the amp on models with Fender now if not over MOST?
Am I right in assuming that the lack of this connector in the MIB3 means it's not possible to simultaneously retrofit both the MIB3 + the 9.2" Discover Pro screen + the digital cockpit into a 2018-2020 7.5?