GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Janman82

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Given that you were lamenting how people said they fixed issues or found proper settings but never explained how, could you post what you did to get rid of the errors, as well as what "tube_version" you used to get the "R"-style cluster look?
"Lamenting" is an interesting way to put it. I would be more then happy to share how my issues were resolved.

First, on my 2017 R I installed "Digital Cockpit" Instrument Cluster 5G1-920-891-A and Dash Trim for "Digital Cockpit" Instrument Cluster 5G0-857-189-B-AAH purchased from https://www.shopdap.com.

Optical Cable purchased from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/90cm-MOST-fiber-optic-Y-cable-for-AUDI-BMW-MERCEDES-PORSCHE-VW/123822803017?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A few members that had similar issues did message me privately and all of us had the issue resolved through a VW dealership. The cluster has to be programmed by VW as explained in the links below using ODIS for the immobilizer. From what I know, only a VW dealer can do this and from what I gathered the ABS issues that a few noted, ended up being resolved by their VW dealership. None were given a detailed explanation of how it was corrected. Just that they had to perform a different programming technique. One had a steering rack replaced.

I used these links for installing my retrofit;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aDvLElA450w5pESjfYC_F_p-kzb3ox_L/edit
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/15084/#post-136017
And this I found posted by pyrotech1620 on the Vortex which helped get the maps to load on the cluster
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...D)-DIY-Retrofit-Guide-for-Golf-Alltrack/page3
1604464481649.png

THEREALVRT posted this link for the R look. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...nfo-display-themes-coding-spreadsheed.357983/ I used this link and set my cluster to Variant 6, Tube version 4, display depiction 1, but I changed to 3 for blue dots.

Now I have a fully functional Active Info Display, hope this helps. Thank you again to everyone who helped me along the way.

1604466384876.png

1604468071205.png

1604466529922.jpeg

nocto

Car(s)
bmw
This may be a dumb question. Looking into picking up a 2018 GTI SE but don't think VW nav is standard. If you retrofit the console to a mk7.5 w/o stock nav does the nav work in the digital dash?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
This is probably something stupid easy or I may be an idiot, but on my dash the map is pretty zoomed in when not moving.
It adjusts when I'm on the road moving, or have a destination picked, but on images of other peoples clusters it's zoomed out while they are parked. How can I change this?

My cluster:
1611184414125.png

Other images in this thread:
1611184579229.png
1611184643192.png

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
This is probably something stupid easy or I may be an idiot, but on my dash the map is pretty zoomed in when not moving.
It adjusts when I'm on the road moving, or have a destination picked, but on images of other peoples clusters it's zoomed out while they are parked. How can I change this?

My cluster:
View attachment 200661

Other images in this thread:
View attachment 200663View attachment 200664
It's one of the options in the menu for map. I'd have to look at it for the exact phrase but just uncheck the box for it, I think it's something like "expanded view"

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think expanded view just switches between having larger and smaller dials on the side. You can switch this just by pressing "okay" on the steering wheel while the map is showing. It makes the map view larger but I don't think it impacts the zoom.

@HawkeAssault's picture is showing the expanded view while the second two pics he posted are not. I'm not sure how to control Zoom on the dash though. I sometimes notice it's really zoomed in but then it zooms out once I start driving. It's like the dash is in auto-zoom all the time but occasionally it seems to retain whatever it's last zoom level was between power cycles.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
To respond to myself, I played around with this a little bit when I got in the car this morning. First picture is right after the nav loaded. This is the expanded view but you can see that it's pretty zoomed in on the dash.
IMG_20210121_064633.jpg

Next picture is a non-expanded view. The dials are larger and the map smaller but still pretty zoomed in.
IMG_20210121_064641.jpg

In the next picture I am fully zoomed out on the main display but this (and all the others zoom levels) didn't cause anything to change in the dash.
IMG_20210121_064820.jpg

Last one is after I started driving. At this point the map in the dash zoomed out. I will test when I get off work but I think starting route guidance will also make the dash map zoom out while stationary, albeit temporarily. It always zooms out once I start driving.
IMG_20210121_065132.jpg

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Interesting, I guess It doesn't really matter much at all. It was just a small thing I had noticed on other peoples dash and thought there was something done differently.

I don't actually have access to my car for the time being to even test anything right now.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Does anyone know what the difference between all the cluster part numbers are? Is there a consensus on what the "best" one is?

[edit] ideally for a 7.5 U.S.-spec GTI

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Does anyone know what the difference between all the cluster part numbers are? Is there a consensus on what the "best" one is?

Pretty sure 5G1920891A is the North American version where it says "Park", "ABS" and "Brake" instead of the symbols. ( I have this one )

Not sure what other part numbers there are but I don't think there is any difference in functionality.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado

[edit] ideally for a 7.5 U.S.-spec GTI
Also you can call your local VW dealer and see if they have the part number available. That's how I got mine, and if they don't have one on hand they can tell you what other dealers may have one in stock.
When I got mine I think I purchased the only local on hand one in the state of Arizona at that time.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Also you can call your local VW dealer and see if they have the part number available. That's how I got mine, and if they don't have one on hand they can tell you what other dealers may have one in stock.
When I got mine I think I purchased the only local on hand one in the state of Arizona at that time.
Mind if I asked what it cost you? Most DIYs I see list it in the 700s but I haven't seen it anywhere for less than around $1100

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Prices have slowly crept back up. When I bought mine it was somewhere around $900 shipped. I have part number 791A so it has the symbols for Park/ABS/etc.

I know we don't really care about MSRP... but the MSRP for these is about $1,500. I can't remember what they were showing for MSRP 18 months ago but I thought it was around $1,300.

Last edited: