GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid Life GTI Journey

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Today marks 3 years of ownership with my GTI. I have learned so much along the way. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and an influence into my build. I had no clue this car would turn into what it is today. I just wanted a fun car that looked good.
IMG_3727.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg
IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3731.jpeg

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Went with a BFI clean catch can to eliminate the smoke show on the track. I know @DerHase you've had some positive feedback from your pcv setup but I didn’t want to have to change out my intake setup either. I’m officially done with mods…
IMG_3758.jpeg

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
You want the bad news now or do you want to find out on track? :confused:

If there's any catch can to attempt to implement with an OEM PCV, it's the BMS. The hose runs are kept as short as possible so it doesn't delay (as much) the TIP vacuum from drawing on the crankcase where it's actually needed. I am still not entirely sure it'll work properly with your setup.

Every long hose catch can system with OEM PCV system I've seen has had major problems with either A) still smoking or B) filling the can insanely fast.

Like we have a local guy that had an ECS can (which is functionally identical to what you have) that completely filled up over 4 autocross runs.

Any plans to come to VIR in February? We can put a gauge on your car to know for sure what's going on.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...onal-raceway-tidewater-sports-car-club-523088

I'd be surprised if you get "enough" vacuum draw to let an OEM PCV work properly with that intake setup. The only real options are MK8 PCV with the Venturi (requires an 034 TMD, or tap your charge pipe between turbo outlet and intercooler for a hose) or a full PCV plate system like APR or VWR (I'd personally do APR between those two)... which does not fix the root problem (pressure in crankcase, inconsistent vacuum draw), but WILL fix the smoking because they draw vacuum/vent via the valve cover, not the oil pathway in the block.

Not sure how far you are from Newport News, VA... but if you ever want to come up this way to go to Busch Gardens or VA Beach or whatever tourist shit, you're welcome to stop by and we can get some data on your car to make sure it's straight.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
You want the bad news now or do you want to find out on track? :confused:

If there's any catch can to attempt to implement with an OEM PCV, it's the BMS. The hose runs are kept as short as possible so it doesn't delay (as much) the TIP vacuum from drawing on the crankcase where it's actually needed. I am still not entirely sure it'll work properly with your setup.

Every long hose catch can system with OEM PCV system I've seen has had major problems with either A) still smoking or B) filling the can insanely fast.

Like we have a local guy that had an ECS can (which is functionally identical to what you have) that completely filled up over 4 autocross runs.

Any plans to come to VIR in February? We can put a gauge on your car to know for sure what's going on.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...onal-raceway-tidewater-sports-car-club-523088

I'd be surprised if you get "enough" vacuum draw to let an OEM PCV work properly with that intake setup. The only real options are MK8 PCV with the Venturi (requires an 034 TMD, or tap your charge pipe between turbo outlet and intercooler for a hose) or a full PCV plate system like APR or VWR (I'd personally do APR between those two)... which does not fix the root problem (pressure in crankcase, inconsistent vacuum draw), but WILL fix the smoking because they draw vacuum/vent via the valve cover, not the oil pathway in the block.

Not sure how far you are from Newport News, VA... but if you ever want to come up this way to go to Busch Gardens or VA Beach or whatever tourist shit, you're welcome to stop by and we can get some data on your car to make sure it's straight.
Nice…I had reached out to another member who has this setup and they mentioned it solved their smoking issues on track. I know you’ve put a lot of time into this so it would have been smart to just ask but hey.

As far as track time, this is the beginning of my busy work season. Pretty much wrapped up until late May.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m officially done with mods…
famous last words repeated by literally everyone on these boards LOL.......I've tried to as well......can't stop won't stop

next mod? BMS catch can lol

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Nice…I had reached out to another member who has this setup and they mentioned it solved their smoking issues on track. I know you’ve put a lot of time into this so it would have been smart to just ask but hey.

Regardless I hope it works out for you! If anything just let me know what the results are when you do get on track again. I'm starting to think there are multiple different ways/there are a few different "stages" in which these OEM PCVs can ingest oil. Driving conditions and how sub-optimal the PCV vacuum source is at various times may dictate whether oil goes into the intake valves directly (I think this is more common, valve fills with oil then gets sucked into intake on throttle-lift in a braking zone), or if it continues getting sucked out via the TIP.

/threadjack. :censored: