GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Never been a fan of PSS's because of their super soft sidewall and high price, but I understand I'm not Michelins intended audience since I DD Rival S's lol.

Super soft? lol

They are probably in the top 20% as far as sidewall stiffness for summer tires.

It depends on which you compare them to. Yes, they're 'stiff' compared to most
mass-market summer tires. And yes, they're soft compared to most R compounds.
Actually Michelin never claimed the PSS to be a track tire, it's an UHP summer tire,
and certainly one of the best.

One of Michelin's press releases:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=751351

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It depends on which you compare them to. Yes, they're 'stiff' compared to most
mass-market summer tires. And yes, they're soft compared to most R compounds.
Actually Michelin never claimed the PSS to be a track tire, it's an UHP summer tire,
and certainly one of the best.

One of Michelin's press releases:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=751351

Sorry but super soft is not how I would describe them.

Soft... maybe... super soft though. :D

I just got rid of some Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and those were super soft.

The PSS strikes a nice balance between NVH and grip imo.

I know there are stiffer tires out there but if anything PSS are probably on the upper side of Middle as far as tires and streetable HPDE tires go.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Compare to autoX tires, maybe, though Rival S isn't actually all that stiff. I got rid of mine after 2 events because it feels weird. PSSs are good trade off for DD use between driving spiritedly and road manner. I hated DDing on RE71R.

Just trying to see what Max Perf. tier tires will be around when I have to replace my PSSs eventually. PS4S will be a candidate, as will the new Conti if they did make it with stiffer sidewall than DWs.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
So is PSS sticking around or getting replaced? Currently PS4S is only on bigger wheels too.

It is likely the PSS will stay if it has homologation for a specific car, in the same way you can still buy PS2's in certain sizes even though it is clearly an older design these days. For example, 968/ 964 and I think 993 still list PS2 in N ratings for specific models, so thankfully Michelin still make them.

But my guess is more sizes of PS4s will roll out soon enough

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

mkygod

Ready to race!
Important note from Farah's review:

"They are the same price as the Super Sport, and they will be phased into production as the Super Sport is phased out, first in 19”, 20”, and 21” sizes this year, then 18” and 17” next year. "

LJK

Passed Driver's Ed
Important note from Farah's review:

"They are the same price as the Super Sport, and they will be phased into production as the Super Sport is phased out, first in 19”, 20”, and 21” sizes this year, then 18” and 17” next year. "

Hoping the 18s come out sooner than next year, I was eyeing these for my next set.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG