GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 Discover Pro retrofit

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
MIB'ee or MIB'ee not said the Scot!

So looking at this thread a few things have popped in my mind.
2013 you have:
Discover Media MIB 1?
Discover Pro MIB 1?
2015 you have:
Discover Media MIB 2?
Discover Pro MIB 2?
2017 you have:
Discover Media MIB 2.5?
Discover Pro MIB 2.5?
2020 you have bleedovers in the T-ROC and Tigaun:
Discover Media MIB 3 (lite)?
Discover Pro MIB 3? (lite)
2020 you also have:
Composition Colour 6.25" with knobs
Composition Colour 8.5" with knobs
Composition Colour 10.25"
Composition Colour Pro 10.25"

Is MIB 3 the same thing that sits in the golf 8 because there are some interesting variations on the touch only screen in ETKA. Knobs n all...

A valid Golf 8 Colour Composition Screen looks to actually come with physical controls and those that don't

5H0 035 867 A and 5H0 035 869
8.5" for the golf
1656329343378.png

1656329895204.png
1656330029591.png

and a 6.5" for the caddy

1656329426918.png

Attachments

• 1656328945460.png
    1656328945460.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 1656328969890.png
    1656328969890.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 1656329012327.png
    1656329012327.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 1656329047962.png
    1656329047962.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 159

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What's the question? A "touch only" screen does not have buttons. You're missing Composition Media systems which are non-nav units, like what came in my car. Although you only pictured Golf R's so maybe they all came with navigation, Discover, units. And maybe you're only talking ROW as the MIB 2.5 was only ever offered in the 2019/2020 e-Golf Premium in NAR.

The difference in "all touch" versus "mostly touch" seems to have mostly to do with trim level. In NAR the trim levels bundle lots of things together, but elsewhere you can get a-la-carte upgrades. Removing physical buttons/knobs can save money for manufacturers. But they also sell it as a premium feature, sometimes making money coming and going.

Although there does exist at least 1 unicorn screen out there. It's a 9.2" screen (MIB 2.5, Discover Pro) for a Golf 7/7.5 and it HAS a volume knob. That screen, from my research long ago, was originally seen in the 2019 e-Golf (with Premium package, or whatever they called the top trim) at a car expo. Then when MIB 2.5 with the 9.2" screens started coming out the screen was all touch. There was a lucky son-of-a-gun on Vortex that found that 9.2" with volume knob on eBay and has it in their car. I messaged them and they sent me pictures, it has the same part number as the screen I have, which has no volume knob... all touch. So that screen seems to have been a prototype of some sort, and never went into production.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
What's the question? A "touch only" screen does not have buttons. You're missing Composition Media systems which are non-nav units, like what came in my car. Although you only pictured Golf R's so maybe they all came with navigation, Discover, units. And maybe you're only talking ROW as the MIB 2.5 was only ever offered in the 2019/2020 e-Golf Premium in NAR.

The difference in "all touch" versus "mostly touch" seems to have mostly to do with trim level. In NAR the trim levels bundle lots of things together, but elsewhere you can get a-la-carte upgrades. Removing physical buttons/knobs can save money for manufacturers. But they also sell it as a premium feature, sometimes making money coming and going.

Although there does exist at least 1 unicorn screen out there. It's a 9.2" screen (MIB 2.5, Discover Pro) for a Golf 7/7.5 and it HAS a volume knob. That screen, from my research long ago, was originally seen in the 2019 e-Golf (with Premium package, or whatever they called the top trim) at a car expo. Then when MIB 2.5 with the 9.2" screens started coming out the screen was all touch. There was a lucky son-of-a-gun on Vortex that found that 9.2" with volume knob on eBay and has it in their car. I messaged them and they sent me pictures, it has the same part number as the screen I have, which has no volume knob... all touch. So that screen seems to have been a prototype of some sort, and never went into production.
Question was in there but missed a question mark;

1656411946147.png

Loving that spoiler!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The Golf 8 would be MIB 3. But some of the really late Mk7.5 GTI's here got MIB 3 also as well as Tiguan (and I assume Atlas). All would be MIB 3 generation. Certainly different software and probably different hardware also depending on options. I don't know if there's a good list yet of the different hardware/software/feature combinations. It seems it took a long time to even get a semi-definitive one for MIB II.

The screens could be a good indicator but I wouldn't rely on them personally. With VW intending to offer OTA updates a reduction in the number of hardware configurations is a good idea. You can always activate/deactivate features in software. Being able to offer a screen upgrade without the need to change other hardware is an easy place to increase margins.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Man, I wish I had never learned this existed... talk about a white whale! I'm gonna be pining after this.
Ya, if @Cuzoe posts a link you gotta be very careful. Last couple links I opened from him ended with a 2q0 Lane assist camera, and an itch for ambient lighting.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Man, I wish I had never learned this existed... talk about a white whale! I'm gonna be pining after this.
For what it's worth I have MIB 2.5 with the all touch 9.2. Now that I have some ambient lighting nonsense going on the fingerprints are a problem but it's easily solved with the microfiber cloth I keep in the door pocket. And of course a screen protector installed before the screen ever went in the car.

I still search eBay for that part number every couple weeks. Always available (and cheap now, relatively)... never that one with the volume knob :mad:.