GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 Discover Pro retrofit

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
No iphones for me folks. I know there are solutions to get wireless CarPlay And I also backed the kickstarter for the wireless Android auto dongle as well. Now, will you guys just indulge in the prospect of an MIB 3 retrofit already, lol.
Happy to look up any part numbers for you, but when it comes to the software I'm afraid I'm clueless!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Happy to look up any part numbers for you, but when it comes to the software I'm afraid I'm clueless!
I appreciate that, I normally fumble around in the various incomplete versions of edca that are online. Are you able to get a part number for the USB port harness?

There's a different thread that I posted in where someone tried fitting the usb-c port on there car (presumably MIB 2). I have that usb-c port on order. They never got it to work. I'm curious if it's just a problem with the cable, the MIB 2, for a combination of the two.

Either way, if I get that usb-c port and it doesn't work don't I owe it to the community to retrofit mib3 to solve the usb-c question once and for all? That port cost me $17 shipped, would hate for it to go to waste not being used, lol.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I appreciate that, I normally fumble around in the various incomplete versions of edca that are online. Are you able to get a part number for the USB port harness?

There's a different thread that I posted in where someone tried fitting the usb-c port on there car (presumably MIB 2). I have that usb-c port on order. They never got it to work. I'm curious if it's just a problem with the cable, the MIB 2, for a combination of the two.

Either way, if I get that usb-c port and it doesn't work don't I owe it to the community to retrofit mib3 to solve the usb-c question once and for all? That port cost me $17 shipped, would hate for it to go to waste not being used, lol.

Harnesses aren't usually listed, only the connectors and types of wires. I'll see what I can find.

Is your USB P/N 3G5035726B?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is your USB P/N 3G5035726B?
Yes, that is the part number I ordered. I've looked at the USB-C spec (for other projects, adding a USB-C port to my Sony PSP) and for the "standard" USB functions I can't see why VW would need a new cable.

But if the USB-C port supports faster charging they may have added wiring to the cable (that is also need to be present on the MIB 3 side) which might explain why just plugging in the port didn't work for the OP of the other thread.

Kind of off topic: CarPlay has always worked without fail through all my MIB upgrades (MIB II, MIB II Nav, MIB 2.5). Android Auto gave me a few issues early on with MIB II until I found a cable it liked, after which it was solid. Now with MIB 2.5 it almost never works, showing USB connection failed. Using the same phone and cable.

I even pulled the MIB 2.5 out and reconnected the MIB II to test. Android auto worked right away. Power off, reconnect MIB 2.5 (without touching the cable/phone) and I get connection failed messages o_O. Admittedly, my USB port (and car harness) are 3+ years old AliExpress units but they've been working for all that time.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes, that is the part number I ordered. I've looked at the USB-C spec (for other projects, adding a USB-C port to my Sony PSP) and for the "standard" USB functions I can't see why VW would need a new cable.

But if the USB-C port supports faster charging they may have added wiring to the cable (that is also need to be present on the MIB 3 side) which might explain why just plugging in the port didn't work for the OP of the other thread.

Kind of off topic: CarPlay has always worked without fail through all my MIB upgrades (MIB II, MIB II Nav, MIB 2.5). Android Auto gave me a few issues early on with MIB II until I found a cable it liked, after which it was solid. Now with MIB 2.5 it almost never works, showing USB connection failed. Using the same phone and cable.

I even pulled the MIB 2.5 out and reconnected the MIB II to test. Android auto worked right away. Power off, reconnect MIB 2.5 (without touching the cable/phone) and I get connection failed messages o_O. Admittedly, my USB port (and car harness) are 3+ years old AliExpress units but they've been working for all that time.
No harness as far as I can see I'm afraid :(

I can tell you that the connector required is 8V0035750F, which is as far as I can tell the 4+2 pin from the MIB2/2.5 harness.

I guess that the MIB3 has some communication logic required for the USB C port that the MIB2.5 doesn't have, but not 100% on that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Usb-c devices do a handshake of sorts to negotiate capabilities and also determine orientation of the plug. But that's mostly for features that are exclusive to usb-c. For our purposes we don't need anything that wasn't already in the old USB spec to get CarPlay and Android auto.

I don't know if future infotainment systems from VW intend to incorporate some of those features (like video). But if they do maybe that usb-c port is already capable so despite using the same connector the pinout may be different.

I've already thought of a way to check on that, using some breakout harnesses, but it may also require destroying a few OEM style harnesses. I might go ahead and order them on AliExpress for science purposes.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Usb-c devices do a handshake of sorts to negotiate capabilities and also determine orientation of the plug. But that's mostly for features that are exclusive to usb-c. For our purposes we don't need anything that wasn't already in the old USB spec to get CarPlay and Android auto.

I don't know if future infotainment systems from VW intend to incorporate some of those features (like video). But if they do maybe that usb-c port is already capable so despite using the same connector the pinout may be different.

I've already thought of a way to check on that, using some breakout harnesses, but it may also require destroying a few OEM style harnesses. I might go ahead and order them on AliExpress for science purposes.

If it's anything like the MIB2 USB connector, the infotainment unit needs telling which type of connector to look for; the connector has the CarPlay chip in it.

I'm going on the assumption that given the USB C connector wasn't available for MIB2.5, it simply will not support it.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I thought I read that the MIB3 units don't have the DVD spot for the NAV disc. The NAV and all the radio functions are OTA. So does that mean there will be some registration with VWOA to get those OTA updates or a service like Car-Net to sign up for? If so I'll just go MIB 2.5 and forget that noise.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I thought I read that the MIB3 units don't have the DVD spot for the NAV disc. The NAV and all the radio functions are OTA. So does that mean there will be some registration with VWOA to get those OTA updates or a service like Car-Net to sign up for? If so I'll just go MIB 2.5 and forget that noise.
Good point, there's no SD card slots on the MIB3 so nav updates won't be possible in the normal way.

I suspect that should someone manage to overcome the hurdles of getting a MIB3 cracked and installed, they'll have to resort to dodgy flashing of nav updates too as there's no chance of the VW mothership permitting the unit to fetch them from the server.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is one of the reasons I love this forum... you guys make a good point. I wasn't concerned about the lack of a disk drive but I assumed there would be an SD card slot for doing updates and playing your personal music library. I never used the disk drive in my MIB II and the DVD in my MIB 2.5 has been in there since install. I put it in there to verify it worked and haven't played it since.

The MIB 3's I found on eBay, which seem to be midrange models based on the rear connectors, have no SD slot. These are PN 5H0035816.

I can't find any actual pictures of the unit @IWMTom provided the part number for, 3G5035842... although they are available to purchase from the dealer.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
This is one of the reasons I love this forum... you guys make a good point. I wasn't concerned about the lack of a disk drive but I assumed there would be an SD card slot for doing updates and playing your personal music library. I never used the disk drive in my MIB II and the DVD in my MIB 2.5 has been in there since install. I put it in there to verify it worked and haven't played it since.

The MIB 3's I found on eBay, which seem to be midrange models based on the rear connectors, have no SD slot. These are PN 5H0035816.

I can't find any actual pictures of the unit @IWMTom provided the part number for, 3G5035842... although they are available to purchase from the dealer.
ETKA has a 3D drawing of the front; it's completely devoid of slots.