GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 Discover Pro retrofit

vrod

Ready to race!
MIB2 Discover Pro Facelift retrofit

Hi all,

I came across a good offer for the new Discover Pro with the 9.2 inch screen. Took it (who says no to half price at 97km of age) but now I am preparing for the retrofit. The seller has stated that the parts (as with the previous satnavs) need the component protection removed and that I need to procure the map data myself.

However I got some other things to figure out like Dynaudio. My car has the Dynaudio system and I know so far that it's not an issue to use with the MIB2 systems (I have a MIB1 DM). But does one have the Dynaudio system on a facelift golf which could perhaps tell the part# of the amplifier?

I would also need to swap out the frame for the radio as well as the rest of the dash because the new GTI has piano black frame and not carbon-fiber-ish like the pre-facelift. I thought about foiling all the frame panels to match so I don't have to buy new panels. Is it easy to do?

Hope someone can help out! My car is 2014 model.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

-Stinger-

Sounds like you are looking at a very expensive mod there. But might be a cool project.

I retrofitted a 8" MIB2 screen to my Discover Media system with 6,5". The new screen trim with air ducts was very expensive. Can't imagine how much all the many trim parts you need would cost.

I personally prefer the pre-facelift screen design a lot. It's nice that you get a 1,2" lager screen, but to me it looks like a tacked on iPad. The screen in a fingerprint magnet and I miss the feedback of the physical buttons.

However - is the new screen truly a "MIB3"? Couldn't you in theory just hook it up to a MIB2 head unit - thus just retrofitting the new screen.

Last edited:

vrod

Ready to race!
it set me back 1600€ and now I just need to figure out to get this thing working. I guess eletronically it's still MIB2 but it's different in a lot of ways so I've seen many people call it MIB3. :D

From my experience the new system is working smoother and faster, it looks to also pack a few more features. I'm coming from a DM MIB1 though which is complete garbage, so anything would be better, really.

methnen

Passed Driver's Ed
You're going to need someone with access to some corporate/dealer contacts that might be able to override the component protection. You could try someone who's already done some retrofits for MIB2 stereos (like VW Central or APK).

Hopefully the new system handles the Dynaudio stuff even if the car it came from doesn't have it. Unlike the MIB2 stuff which I'm pretty sure has to be specifically programmed to deal with it.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
With regards Dynaudio, before I got my current GTD (with MIB2) I had another MK7 GTD with MIB1. Made some enquiries from a couple of different companies to gauge the cost of fitting MIB2 into my car and was told on all occasions that my MIB1 Dynaudio was incompatible with MIB2 and that I would also need a new AMP/DSP unit.

Might be the same for MIB3 with another new Amp/DSP unit as well ?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
So, what would you gain, besides a larger (now glossy, yuck) screen, and losing the knobs that MIB2 has? Both of those "upgrades" are actually downgrades IMHO. Only the screen size would be a benefit - and for the outrageous cost it would come at, hardly seems worth the effort. YMMV!

vrod

Ready to race!
The interface seems smoother imho. I did hear about the dynaudio issues but these should be related to the NA cars. I'm from germany and hopefully shouldn't be affected by this. One of my colleagues has a close friend who works at a big audi dealership chain as a mechanic and he has done some magic stuff before (according to my colleague). The seller of the component has also told me that they can possibly help me out. I will know more the next days and hopefully on saturday I can have an idea of what the next step is.

Again, not sure if this is MIB3, but a lot of people seems to use that word. :D

-Stinger-

The interface seems smoother imho. I did hear about the dynaudio issues but these should be related to the NA cars. I'm from germany and hopefully shouldn't be affected by this. One of my colleagues has a close friend who works at a big audi dealership chain as a mechanic and he has done some magic stuff before (according to my colleague). The seller of the component has also told me that they can possibly help me out. I will know more the next days and hopefully on saturday I can have an idea of what the next step is.

Again, not sure if this is MIB3, but a lot of people seems to use that word. :D

Please keep us updated. It sounds like it's quite the task based on what Watcher answered you on VAGCARS.

The trim part - since the 9,2" screen is a available upgrade on all ace litter models (not only GTI and Highline with the black trim) there should be trims available in different colours.

vrod

Ready to race!
Willdo, the seller claims they work with a company who can take care of the things and fit the device to "any" vehicle (mqb of course). I'll let you guys know once I know more, I am currently waiting on response from the seller.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I did a MIB1 to MIB2 conversion and it is involved. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600 One issue is Feature Enablement Code (FeC) which are linked to your VIN. When you install the new unit all the FeC will work, but component protection will be activated. When CP is removed and linked to your VIN you lose all the FeC, so no blue tooth, phone connect or CarPlay until enabled. Not sure how the MIB3 works, but it too likely has FeC's. You should read this concerning MIB retrofits, FeC, hacked and legit units: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577

vrod

Ready to race!
Both of the topics are interesting reading, thank you! Maybe I am mistaken, but in shapeshifter's topic, does he mean navigation will never work on a legit unit? The seller has told me that I will need to purchase new maps as well as a Navi license for the part, which I guess would be the FeC?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Both of the topics are interesting reading, thank you! Maybe I am mistaken, but in shapeshifter's topic, does he mean navigation will never work on a legit unit? The seller has told me that I will need to purchase new maps as well as a Navi license for the part, which I guess would be the FeC?

Yes and no. Per my understanding, MIB2 navigation will not work with a MIB1 as the FeC is not applicable to the earlier year (VIN). However, there is some work around dealing with the fuel pump and someone who has developed a module to do just that. http://www.factory-retrofits.co.uk/module-for-using-the-navigation-discover-pro/

The easiest and most cost effective method for doing what you are trying to do is to send the unit to someone who can remove CP, keep all the FeC's currently installed (normally called a "hacked" unit). APG out of Poland should be able to do this for you. You would be able to update maps as that is a function of the SD card reader. You will need to let them know that you have Dynaudio as they can also modify the unit so you don't have to replace the MIB1 amplifier at least they were able to when going to MIB2.

vrod

Ready to race!
Ok so I spoke with the seller about the things today. They told me they work with a company who will unlock everything in the unit, everything will work according to them. I'll have to chip out 250€ for that and then find a frame for the unit. The navi set me back 1700€, so with all this I'm looking at 2k€ totally. The unit has wifi/sim as well as dab+ so it's a bit cheaper than what I was offered by APG. The seller will need a few more days to unlock the unit, but so far so good.

methnen

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing about this retrofit that would bug me beyond the missing knobs is that I'm pretty sure the earlier trim with the sort of faux carbon fiber texture to it isn't used on any of the redesign cars. So whatever trim you end up with won't match the rest of the trim in your car.

The OCD in me would probably find that unbearable.