GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 Retrofit...Speakers Not Functioning!

Slime’R

Car(s)
2018 Golf R Spektrum
Hey everyone, question for ya. I did a MIB2 retrofit from the base infotainment on my MK7.5 GTI. My cars in the shop, and they removed component protection but they still can’t get sound from it. They’re trying to go in and change it from Fender, as the MIB2 I got was from a fender quipped GTI. I only have the regular sound system but they’re saying they are no communicating. Any suggestions for getting the speakers to work? We have tried turning MOST off and using a internal sound system as the type but there are like 7 options they are saying and none of them are producing any sound. CP they did successfully remove, but we can’t get the speakers working. Any advice????

thanks!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Seconded, did you ever figure this out? I'm running into the same issue, however the speakers 'work'. It sounds like there's no bass (maybe it's thinking there's a subwoofer the MIB2 Fender system had) and most of the 'full sound' is only being pumped through the pillar tweeters.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This thread shows the coding for going from Fender to standard, so you should be doing the opposite by changing Byte 11 to internal sound system and Byte 4-7 to 2 channel 4 passive speaker installed, byte 19 to Most off. You could also slip in your old unit and check what the coding had, copy it and then see what is different from the new head unit.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/
Thanks for this. Just one question, the thread mentions wiring behind the head unit, can I simply use the OBD11 tutorial posted without any extra wiring? I have an MIB2 unit (which I assume had Fender) swapped into my 2015 that does not have any Fender or extra amp under the seat. There's next to no bass coming from the system now and most of the full sound is only coming from the tweeters, all speakers worked when I tested the fade. Am I shit out of luck without rewiring or can I try the OBD11 method as suggested in the post?

Thanks,

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
apologies if this sounds obvious, but unplug/plug the battery car in. When I did the mib2 retrofit many moons ago, in order for the changed coding on the speakers to take place I had to unplug the battery afterwards. You may as well try.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
apologies if this sounds obvious, but unplug/plug the battery car in. When I did the mib2 retrofit many moons ago, in order for the changed coding on the speakers to take place I had to unplug the battery afterwards. You may as well try.
Good call, I will try this tomorrow.
I went ahead and tried the OBD11 tutorial above but it still feels empty of bass. I'll try this to see if it kicks in.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for this. Just one question, the thread mentions wiring behind the head unit, can I simply use the OBD11 tutorial posted without any extra wiring? I have an MIB2 unit (which I assume had Fender) swapped into my 2015 that does not have any Fender or extra amp under the seat. There's next to no bass coming from the system now and most of the full sound is only coming from the tweeters, all speakers worked when I tested the fade. Am I shit out of luck without rewiring or can I try the OBD11 method as suggested in the post?

Thanks,

Check the scan of your original unit, and make sure the new unit has similar settings. Hopefully you saved the original settings as recommend in the MIB1 to MIB2 retrofit post. You can always throw the unit back in, do a scan, save, and then put the new unit in and from there verify settings are same. Key parameters are going to be when you select speaker configuration of car, but there are others that you should also verify.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How many threads are there about this? :LOL:. Only a couple places to verify with regard to coding.

1665589887771.png

1665589910626.png

You're probably "FF" here, mids/tweets front and rear. I don't know if 2 door Golfs have rear tweeters. And I thought I read somewhere that later 4 doors also didn't have rear tweeters. In either case, you would then be "BE"

Assuming these are good (if Byte 11 wasn't correct you would have no sound)... just have the dataset loaded already 😁.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You're probably "FF" here, mids/tweets front and rear. I don't know if 2 door Golfs have rear tweeters. And I thought I read somewhere that later 4 doors also didn't have rear tweeters. In either case, you would then be "BE"
Trust me, the different threads are making my head spin :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for this, I unfortunately only have OBD11 and the images posted in the thread George linked didn't fill out the sound as well as my old brain unit did. Still no bass and less full, however all the speakers work. No change to the speakers in my standard system either, just a strait MIB2 retrofit (but you already knew that after all the posts this week). Now I'm curious, mine is in fact a two door and I didn't even think of the ramifications of that. This info is hard to come by so thanks for responding and being patient with my posts (y)

I'm going to try the battery method Ice suggested and go from there. I know there's a solution just trying to find it..

Now that you mentioned it, any idea what bytes would need to be changed here to achieve FF as you mention @Cuzoe ? Also to clarify, by 'have the dataset installed correctly', do you mean the bytes 4-7? Because you're right, there is sound as I've switched it to internal, I'm just not sure what the 'dataset' refers to.

Attachments

• Bites.jpg
    Bites.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
FF in binary is 11111111... so your unit is set to FF already.
BE in binary is 10111110...

I don't use OBDeleven, but based on the binary... Channel 1 and Channel 4 must be rear, with "TT" being the tweeter. Again I don't know if 2 doors have rear tweeters. I also have zero confidence this is your problem. If the wrong dataset is loaded your speakers will not sound good. I think you should just get that sorted.

Mids/tweeters are wired in parallel and VW does something funky with resistors so the MIB sees the same load whether or not tweeters are connected. I suppose the BE coding could reduce the highs that go to the rear channels. But high frequencies aren't really your problem.

Probably no need to disconnect the battery... just long press the power button (something like 10 seconds) and that will force a full reboot of the MIB.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

I don't use OBDeleven, but based on the binary... Channel 1 and Channel 4 must be rear, with "TT" being the tweeter. Again I don't know if 2 doors have rear tweeters. I also have zero confidence this is your problem. If the wrong dataset is loaded your speakers will not sound good. I think you should just get that sorted.

Makes sense. When I installed the unit it was actually 00000000. and I changed them over to 1's based on George's link. I might try BE but as you say, probably not the problem. I'll connect with the coder this weekend and make sure he tries a few different datasets. Just to be clear, the datasets are something he will see, and it's not something I can edit myself in OBD11? (Just generally, I know you mentioned you're not familiar with OBD11).

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

Mids/tweeters are wired in parallel and VW does something funky with resistors so the MIB sees the same load whether or not tweeters are connected. I suppose the BE coding could reduce the highs that go to the rear channels. But high frequencies aren't really your problem.

Probably no need to disconnect the battery... just long press the power button (something like 10 seconds) and that will force a full reboot of the MIB.
Out of curiosity, for cars with Fender, these data sets are stored in the amp rather than the 5F, right?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Out of curiosity, for cars with Fender, these data sets are stored in the amp rather than the 5F, right?
I would assume the 5F dataset (or rather the audio part of it) is not stored in the amp. That's not to say the Fender amp doesn't have a data set. I have no experience with it.

In theory the 5F dataset could be in play whether you have Fender or not. I don't know if the Fender amp is also doing DSP duty or just amplifying the audio data it gets via MOST. If the Fender also does some pre-programmed DSP duty then maybe the 5F dataset doesn't matter. If not then it still matters because you want to amplify something that already sounds right.

If I were designing this system the 5F would be the only place I would store an audio dataset. It could/would then be used with the MIB's internal amp or with MOST output.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@aegis That is correct. Datasets cannot be modified with VCDS/OBDEleven or even ODIS. ODIS is typically used to load them.

VCP can also load datasets. And I've recently read that OBDEleven can write datasets, but I don't know much about it. That writing of datasets is means writing factory datasets (or datasets you have modified and then recalculated the checksum). But all of that is beyond the scope of what we're talking about.