GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 Infotainment firmware update question

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@philbeardmore, there's no such firmware as MHI2_ER_VWG11_P20103. Check again last digits.

By looking at http://mib-helper.com/index.php?train=MHI2_ER_VWG11_P2125#details
...you can see that the latest that you unit supports is MHI2_ER_VWG11_K3342.
You will have to do 3301 first. Unit will not allow you to jump to 3342 directly.

Also, at the end of update procedure you have to close the summary of the installation with [X] in the top-right corner of the display.
Like in this VW Discover firmware update video tutorial, at 5:00

If this touch zone is not working in your display, you will have a lot of fun trying to finish the installation.

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
@mr-fix just want to say thank you for all your contributions to the community, been a long time subscriber and your videos always come up as a guide from software to hardware issues.

My current unit running MHI2_ER_VWG11_S2125_1 SW Train, have you ever seen this version before? Why S instead of P?

I'm going to follow the advice you gave @philbeardmore to upgrade to MHI2_ER_VWG11_P3301 then MHI2_ER_VWG11_K3342.

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
@GTI230, take a look here: http://mib-helper.com/index.php?train=MHI2_ER_VWG11_S2125_1#details

As far as I know:
S = Security Patch / Partial Update,
P = Production,
E = Engineering / Beta / Test,
K = Customer Update,
R = Release Candidate / Prerelease.

Not sure about the _1 at the end. Maybe it was reinstalled on the unit? Don't quote me on that.
That’s really interesting, thanks for that detail.

I’m waiting for a new SD card to be delivered as my current one is 128GB and cannot be formatted as FAT32. How important is the 4kb allocation unit as I’m not sure a 32GB can be formatted with that size?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
You can try with exFAT on the 128GB card. Might be supported.
Some reported issues with the procedure if the allocation size was too big. Found that info somewhere on the drive2.ru blog and figured that might mention this in my tutorial.

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
You can try with exFAT on the 128GB card. Might be supported.
Some reported issues with the procedure if the allocation size was too big. Found that info somewhere on the drive2.ru blog and figured that might mention this in my tutorial.
Chickened out and bought a 32GB card. I went from 0343 to 3301 and finally 3342, updated maps, POIs and radio logos thanks to your videos!

Tommyz

Car(s)
Passat B8 and Golf 8
I am running Train: MHI2_ER_VWG11_S0259, SW MU: 0199. In my Passat B8 with dynaudio.
What updates should I use?
Any considerations when I have dynaudio?
I see some as AIO? What's the difference with these?
What are the risk of breaking the unit? (I saw tone video from mr-fix with a broken unit after update)

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
I am running Train: MHI2_ER_VWG11_S0259, SW MU: 0199. In my Passat B8 with dynaudio.
What updates should I use?
http://mib-helper.com/index.php?train=MHI2_ER_VWG11_S0259#details

Any considerations when I have dynaudio?
As far as I know, no. There should be no problem with Dynaudio.

I see some as AIO? What's the difference with these?
AIO = All-In-One. Update packages is not stock, it was modified to with patched system image and automatic scripts that will enable developer mode, insert FEC/SWaP codes.

What are the risk of breaking the unit? (I saw tone video from mr-fix with a broken unit after update)
There's always risk. Use quality SD card (full size, not microSD with adapter).

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Device Part Number: 3Q0035844
Hardware: 620
Software Version: 0613
Installed software train version: MST2_US_VW_P0504D
Software Version: H54.14.78_STD2Plus_NAR
MIB-Helper: http://mib-helper.com/index.php?train=MST2_US_VW_P0504D#details

MIB-Helper states the following for firmwares:
Latest official firmware: MST2_US_VW_P0504D (MU: 0613, details).
Latest possible firmware: MST2_US_VW_P0879D (MU: 0879, details).

I can't find any information about running 0879 on this unit, or even the download for 0879 on mibsolution.one. Do we know if 0879 I actually compatible for this unit?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Device Part Number: 3Q0035844
Hardware: 620
Software Version: 0613
Installed software train version: MST2_US_VW_P0504D
Software Version: H54.14.78_STD2Plus_NAR
MIB-Helper: http://mib-helper.com/index.php?train=MST2_US_VW_P0504D#details

MIB-Helper states the following for firmwares:
Latest official firmware: MST2_US_VW_P0504D (MU: 0613, details).
Latest possible firmware: MST2_US_VW_P0879D (MU: 0879, details).

I can't find any information about running 0879 on this unit, or even the download for 0879 on mibsolution.one. Do we know if 0879 I actually compatible for this unit?
I think MIB Helper may be incorrect. From what I have read, attempting to perform a firmware jump on a 3Q0035844 unit would likely brick the unit.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Doing anything outside the ordinary on Delphi unit is likely to end with brick.

Stay on your firmware. Just run the SD activator.

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thank you both @brentgti and @mr-fix. My head unit is already working properly, I was just hoping there was a newer firmware that would fix a few issues I am experiencing (unresponsive screen on some startups, incorrect metadata when connected via Bluetooth and Spotify). I guess I will just live with them.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thank you both @brentgti and @mr-fix. My head unit is already working properly, I was just hoping there was a newer firmware that would fix a few issues I am experiencing (unresponsive screen on some startups, incorrect metadata when connected via Bluetooth and Spotify). I guess I will just live with them.
Yeah, some of the newer firmware versions do fix some bugs but unfortunately not compatible with your specific unit. If you really wanted to, you could swap for a different unit that is compatible with the newer firmware which may resolve your issues (but not guaranteed). The do nothing option is of course the most cost effective option 🙂

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Even with MIB 2.5 I occasionally get weirdness with metadata over Bluetooth. It's not a big deal for me since I practically always use Android auto. But there are things that never worked (for me) over Bluetooth, for whatever reason.

One of the most annoying ones that really doesn't matter is progress in a song. There's something I really don't like about not knowing how much time is left in the song, lol. And I don't need to see the time in minutes, I just need to see a progress bar so I have a relative idea if I'm halfway done, two thirss, almost to the end, barely getting started... I'm looking at you extended mix of Play at Your Own Risk... IYKYK, as they say.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Even with MIB 2.5 I occasionally get weirdness with metadata over Bluetooth. It's not a big deal for me since I practically always use Android auto. But there are things that never worked (for me) over Bluetooth, for whatever reason.

One of the most annoying ones that really doesn't matter is progress in a song. There's something I really don't like about not knowing how much time is left in the song, lol. And I don't need to see the time in minutes, I just need to see a progress bar so I have a relative idea if I'm halfway done, two thirss, almost to the end, barely getting started... I'm looking at you extended mix of Play at Your Own Risk... IYKYK, as they say.
Yeah bluetooth on these things is hit or miss even when everything is factory stock. Hell even the SD cards can be janky (gotta make sure album art is the right size and format, not too big, not too many songs in one folder, etc.) I'm with Cuzoe, 99% of the time I'm just sticking with CarPlay (or Sirius if I don't feel like playing DJ)