GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Merkle's Truck Talk & other Musings.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
$155 for flight
$200 in gas

Nice job on the flight :) Best of luck on the way back! You should try and sight see a little.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Not a ton, unfortunately. I know it can be kind of whimpy in full-size trucks with V8's, and most people like to upgrade to the 4500 that Ol Blue has. That thing is invincible, and is worth more than my truck is.

They put the 3500 in everything, doe. The Sonoma I had in high school had one. I beat the hell out of it and it never gave me a single issue. Don't know much beyond that.

Merkle

Banned
Not a ton, unfortunately. I know it can be kind of whimpy in full-size trucks with V8's, and most people like to upgrade to the 4500 that Ol Blue has. That thing is invincible, and is worth more than my truck is.

They put the 3500 in everything, doe. The Sonoma I had in high school had one. I beat the hell out of it and it never gave me a single issue. Don't know much beyond that.

Word, that's what I was reading. You run syncromesh fluid in your truck's trans?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I drove a sonoma with a manual once... it was a terrible experience finding a gear was like bobbing for apples. May have been an "old" truck though.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Word, that's what I was reading. You run syncromesh fluid in your truck's trans?

Naw, Redline MT-85.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-5050...?ie=UTF8&qid=1412791146&sr=8-1&keywords=MT-85

I run Redline in all my older cars, it's amazing how great the stuff is. I changed the front and rear diff oil in the truck with Redline as well.

I drove a sonoma with a manual once... it was a terrible experience finding a gear was like bobbing for apples. May have been an "old" truck though.

Well, trucks don't exactly have the precision of a Miata or something. But that's what makes them fun in an agricultural, primordial kind of way. My truck isn't bad, but the throws are hilariously long.

Merkle

Banned
My S-10 must have had the NV3500, and it was fine, Brent's Dakota had the 4.7L which may have had the same trans and it was fine, don't see any reason to worry about that.

Sweet, I have some MT-90 still, but I'll go with the 85.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
My S-10 must have had the NV3500, and it was fine, Brent's Dakota had the 4.7L which may have had the same trans and it was fine, don't see any reason to worry about that.

Sweet, I have some MT-90 still, but I'll go with the 85.

Yea, the 3500 was in everything light duty. My truck has the rare HD tranny option.

Mix your MT-90 with MTL 1:1 to get MT-85. That's what dudes did before MT-85 was a thing. Does the 3500 spec 85 or does it need a different viscosity?

Merkle

Banned

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
From the service manual:

- Useless

BITOG has a thread stating that Syncromesh came in the trans. from the factory and one person recommends Redline MTL.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231273

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-5020...F8&qid=1412793157&sr=8-1&keywords=redline+mtl

Man that's pricey.

MTL is 80. Might be a little light? Syncromesh is 85, and MT-85 or MTL + MT90 1:1 is the same.

If I were you, if you already have 90, buy some MTL, mix it with the 90, and be done with it. It's a beater, don't spend a fortune on it. Still, to keep it running well, it's cheap insurance compared to buying another trans.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You can run that old Trans on donkey piss. I wouldn't spend this much trying to figure out a magical fluid. :laugh: Any MTL will do.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Not entirely. I don't know about the 3500, but the 4500 has heavy duty brass syncros that can be eaten by additives in many cheaper gear oils.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
To keep a beater beating, it needs to be treated right. A little extra money can go a long way in keeping it going.