GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Merkle's Truck Talk & other Musings.

Merkle

Banned
Trucks, we need em, and most of us have them, from Chris's Ol Blue, to NEEK's new Chevy-o-baldness.

I'll be joining the club soon with:

2003 Dodge Dakota
3.9L V-6
5-MT

Reg. Cab.
2WD

~130k Miles
$2,800

(Power tools and tires not included)

Pros:

Ball joints replaced - Uppers replace with bolt-in style
Water pump replaced
New tires

Cons:

Needs O2 sensor

Ill be flying from Baton Rouge, LA to Baltimore MD to pick this bad boy up.
1,200 Miles of road trip in my new truck.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
That mk2 in the background. Looks good merkle, but becareful driving in virginia and please dont go above 80 (cops love em), rt 81 VA tickets are expensive about $300, just an advice from a local :)

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
That should have been your first choice. MT w/ 5.7 is the way to go, doe. I love my truck.

When I sold the Pacer and the guy drove off with it, I felt nothing. I wanted to feel sad, but didn't. At that point, my dad had my truck for a week, and I was about to get it back. I actually missed the truck and was actually looking forward to getting it back..way more than I was sad about the Pacer going.

TL;DR: Trucks are awesome.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
I shall disprove the notion that we all 'need' a truck and can live with a hatchback and a small trailer.

I will say, when you NEED a truck its nice to have. Wont be pulling no stumps with the yaris.

Merkle

Banned
That should have been your first choice. MT w/ 5.7 is the way to go, doe. I love my truck.

When I sold the Pacer and the guy drove off with it, I felt nothing. I wanted to feel sad, but didn't. At that point, my dad had my truck for a week, and I was about to get it back. I actually missed the truck and was actually looking forward to getting it back..way more than I was sad about the Pacer going.

TL;DR: Trucks are awesome.

The Dakota is being bought from a friend, at a great price, most people on Autotrader are asking ~$6k for a truck like this, maybe with cash in hand you could get it for $5,500, so for sub- $3k, I'm jumping on it.

The full sized Chevy trucks are from $7k to $10k, and that was over my budget. :thumbdown:

Merkle

Banned
I shall disprove the notion that we all 'need' a truck and can live with a hatchback and a small trailer.

I will say, when you NEED a truck its nice to have. Wont be pulling no stumps with the yaris.

Can't tow a trailer with the Miata, or Corolla, and my turbo Yaris is long gone. :iono:

I'll let you borrow the Dogekota when you "Need" it. ;)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I've heard the horror stories, I'll hide the radar detector away too!

Better yet turn it off, they have radar detector detectors. One driver got fined just for using that alone and she was driving just fine in VA standards. Yeah particularly stay away from fairfax county, this is one of the worst times of this year, instead of october we call it coptober

Merkle

Banned
When I said "hide away" I meant unplug it, put it up in a bag somewhere where a cop can't see it in the event I get pulled over. Virginia doesn't mess around.

I really don't plan on going over 75 in the truck, it doesn't have cruise so my speed my sway, that's my only real concern.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
Can't tow a trailer with the Miata, or Corolla, and my turbo Yaris is long gone. :iono:

;)

but i totally get it. truck was handy for awhile, now it just sits. time to sell for a profit....before something breaks/requires maintenance.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI

Good luck with that. Love my truck.

The Dakota is being bought from a friend, at a great price, most people on Autotrader are asking ~$6k for a truck like this, maybe with cash in hand you could get it for $5,500, so for sub- $3k, I'm jumping on it.

The full sized Chevy trucks are from $7k to $10k, and that was over my budget. :thumbdown:

Even early GMT400's? Like 88-95? My 93 was nowhere near that expensive, and it's bulletproof. It's soon to be my only vehicle. :laugh:

No, don't let him borrow it. He's determined, so he needs to figure it out himself.

in4turboyarispullingstumppics

When I said "hide away" I meant unplug it, put it up in a bag somewhere where a cop can't see it in the event I get pulled over. Virginia doesn't mess around.

I really don't plan on going over 75 in the truck, it doesn't have cruise so my speed my sway, that's my only real concern.

You probably won't even go much over 70. No need in a truck.

Merkle

Banned
Even early GMT400's? Like 88-95? My 93 was nowhere near that expensive, and it's bulletproof. It's soon to be my only vehicle. :laugh:

I had found a few, but they were really high mileage 225k+ in most cases.
As it is going to be my daily, the gas mileage would have been atrocious as well.

Lol, have fun with the winter beater. Still riding your bike?

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
No, don't let him borrow it. He's determined, so he needs to figure it out himself.

the sub text there is that Merkle has used my truck about 5x more than I have in the last few months. Uh, so favors and all. but yea...i did fine for a LOOOONNNNNGGG time without a truck, and I'm sure that will continue....