GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual vs. DSG

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I've always driven manual but I am trying to decide if my new R should be dsg or stay with manual. Dsg is much faster....
Why do you ask this group this question? Only you can decide as those that have a DSG will say that and the others with a manual will go that way for the most part. No one knows how you will use the car so everybody just has an opinion. I have what I have because I wanted it and care less about what others think. Make a choice!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I will just say, that I was on the fence with my recent purchase (gti) and knowing that I was going to add power I couldn't pick the MT. It is just too flawed on these cars and needs multiple shifter upgrades and a clutch upgrade right away. Then, even after you do all that you still have to worry about crank walk.

Dsg is good to... Well almost anything with a tune. It's also quite a great transmission in the days of zf8 on every car (I absolutely loathe that torque converter trans)

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I will just say, that I was on the fence with my recent purchase (gti) and knowing that I was going to add power I couldn't pick the MT. It is just too flawed on these cars and needs multiple shifter upgrades and a clutch upgrade right away. Then, even after you do all that you still have to worry about crank walk.

Dsg is good to... Well almost anything with a tune. It's also quite a great transmission in the days of zf8 on every car (I absolutely loathe that torque converter trans)

FWIW, though not as much, crankwalk happens on DSG too.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Isn't it actually rare with a DSG?

Not personally familiar with the numbers, but more knowledge peeps have stated that it can happen to anyone on this platform regardless of transmission.

Like Jake once said, he’s personally only known of it happening to 1 person. With his business, I’m sure he deals with A LOT of people.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
If VW had designed a solid kit of clutch tranny with no crank-walk problems....the choice would be much harder....but this car seems to have been designed with the DSG in mind....the manual tranny is an afterthought and a weak link that must be addressed when making any power improvement to the car
Vw did mess up hard on the manual trans out of the factory I'll agree with you there. But once you throw some money at it to fix their mistakes it's pretty awesome. Granted we're talking like $2500 to do so (clutch, short throw, lsd, all the shifter bushings), dsg is more expensive by about the same price so I didn't mind. Would definitely rather have a manual with lsd than an open diff dsg 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Vw did mess up hard on the manual trans out of the factory I'll agree with you there. But once you throw some money at it to fix their mistakes it's pretty awesome. Granted we're talking like $2500 to do so (clutch, lsd, all the shifter bushings), dsg is more expensive by about the same price so I didn't mind. Would definitely rather have a manual with lsd than an open diff dsg 🤷‍♂️

How about a DSG with lsd?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
How about a DSG with lsd?
I'm a manual guy through and through so I'd still take the manual. Only time I'd consider an automatic is if I was racing for high dollar purses where every 10th counts, that said if I was doing that type of racing it wouldn't be in a vw.

My good friend has a very similarly modded gti for the track as mine, except dsg and we are constantly going back and forth on this...I'm faster than him on the track even with the 'disadvantage'

This debate will go on forever honestly, you either just prefer manual or you don't. I'm also the type that likes to remove all of the nannies and be 100% in control even though you could argue the nannies make you faster. Dsg is a nanny, there I said it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm a manual guy through and through so I'd still take the manual. Only time I'd consider an automatic is if I was racing for high dollar purses where every 10th counts, that said if I was doing that type of racing it wouldn't be in a vw.

My good friend has a very similarly modded gti for the track as mine, except dsg and we are constantly going back and forth on this...I'm faster than him on the track even with the 'disadvantage'

This debate will go on forever honestly, you either just prefer manual or you don't. I'm also the type that likes to remove all of the nannies and be 100% in control even though you could argue the nannies make you faster. Dsg is a nanny, there I said it.

At this point in my life I need a nanny.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Vw did mess up hard on the manual trans out of the factory I'll agree with you there. But once you throw some money at it to fix their mistakes it's pretty awesome. Granted we're talking like $2500 to do so (clutch, short throw, lsd, all the shifter bushings), dsg is more expensive by about the same price so I didn't mind. Would definitely rather have a manual with lsd than an open diff dsg 🤷‍♂️

what lsd did you put in your golf r?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I had a 2018 wrx. She was awesome and not stock at all. But due to lower back and left leg injuries I had to trade her in. It hurt to drive her.

I needed an auto and only a Porsche pdk fit the bill. I didn’t want some peasant auto transmission. But I don’t have Porsche money. So I got a 2020 gti autobahn last month, dsg.

best of both worlds. No regrets

just make sure you can live with your decision man

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I needed an auto and only a Porsche pdk fit the bill.

I’m sorry about your injuries.

My stage 2 is two weeks old and I love it. But a Porsche is my dream car. I’ve finally convinced my wife to let me start saving up for whatever iteration of Cayman T is in 6-10 years. Manual. No sat nav.:love: