50D53A60-9681-4CA6-A143-79457CF3D77C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 297
  • 3B47A608-2FF0-4003-85E4-7145AE083DC5.jpeg
    3B47A608-2FF0-4003-85E4-7145AE083DC5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 289

Harryv15

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI S
Can you share your impressions once you do some pulls?

I will! Once I install my uni stage 2 again Or buy the EQT tune 😅. Accidentally flashed back to stage 1 a few months ago and couldn’t back out of it... lol (long story!)... now my laptop is giving headaches 🙄. Might have to go get a new one.

however, as of the stage 1 im running i feel the car pull the same back to back, not like before where maybe 1 or 2 pulls were good then it would get heat soaked really quick. And it’s Actually showing about 1 psi more than before on 4th gear (guessing less pressure drop or something). Will update as I get more runs in!

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
Installing this over the weekend. It looks like the clips here have plenty of clearance, but I guess we'll see how it goes. It's been sitting my garage since October, and I'm not leaving the houses these days so it's a good time to go about it I suppose.
IMG_20200522_142429.jpg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Is this intercooler worth getting if you aren’t going IS38?
If it keeps the ecu from pulling timing like some ethanol does, it's absolutely worth it. Mine's sittinf in the garage waiting for the install. I'm having my fabricator put LPS Alphalocs on it. Like the vibrant boost couplers, but better. I may get dumb and have him do TI piping just because.

Last edited:

Harryv15

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI S
Is this intercooler worth getting if you aren’t going IS38?
Definitely worth every penny! Picked up mine locally from a guy who bought it and never used it for 125$, no hoses, but stock one work perfect. So far IATs stay 10-15 degrees from ambient on cruising around 50-60mph. On pulls youll see 5 degrees over ambient, maybe less. Im actually waiting for a tune I purchased (eqt stage 2) to come through so i can do proper pulls without having to worry about engine knock from cobb sht maps lol. But so far im in love, no heat soak whatsoever. 🙌🏼

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
It's finally in. Me and a friend breezed through getting the old one out, my brother whose a car guy showed up to watch because he had been fearmongering me into how it was gonna be a nightmare. Everything went well until we got to fitting the new one. We just took the intercooler and the support to that same friend's house and trimmed it until it fit. Unfortunately, when we trimmed the U shaped condensor tab, we must have weakened it. It snapped off when screwing the M6 in to secure it, and at that time it was too late to go get some JB4 or anything. After picking some JB4 up the next day and letting it cure 24 hours, putting everything else back together wasn't too bad.

It's really not that bad and we talked about how we'd do it again knowing what we know now. The trimming was a pain because we had to leave with it and then come back much later. I installed the BFI stage 1 dogbone insert at the same time.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I installed one of these IC's about a year ago, and as advertised it required some modification, but it performs extremely well. However, the one I have is 65 mm thick and that has caused some problems. Being so thick it pushes the radiator extremely close to the engine, a few months after install one of the coolant hoses was cut by rubbing against a plastic fin on the stock air box. I replaced th ehose and trimmed the fins. When I installed it I did slide the assembly as far forward as possible but still...
I also noticed that if I ever wanted to drain the radiator, the lower right side is so close to the engine now it cannot be removed without moving the entire radiator/IC assembly :(. Now after a year and over 15,000 miles of trouble free operation I just got another low coolant warning while out and about. After investigating I discovered one of the right side auxiliary radiator hoses has been cut by the alternator pulley :(.
That hose can be repositioned had I known it would be an issue, it is not touching but is about 1 cm away, so I imagine with engine movement it has been intermittent making contact and...
The IC I have is 65 mm thick, I just happened to look on Ebay and noticed the current Magic IC for this car shows it is 50 mm thick. I am tempted to buy this new thinner version, this older one does fit, but just barely. Long term this tight fit can cause issues, not to mention if you ever have to service the cooling system, good luck.
So my feed back is if you have this thicker IC like mine, you might want to reposition that hose that runs past the alternator pulley. Also if you are looking to install one of these, do yourself a favor and get one of these 50 mm thick IC's, 65-70 mm is just to thick to work well in this application. It works but... I can only imagine folks that shelled out a lot more for that Wagner IC are in a the same boat, I believe that one is 70 mm thick.
I imagine this has been discussed already somewhere in the massive thread but figured I would add my two cents. Looking at this thing I cannot see any good way to improve clearance with this thick IC, not without some serious fabrication work, but if anyone come up with something please let me know. I am thinking I may just need to bite the bullet and swap it with one of these new thinner IC's. I highly doubt I will notice a difference in performance and coolant system leaks are not fun.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I installed one of these IC's about a year ago, and as advertised it required some modification, but it performs extremely well. However, the one I have is 65 mm thick and that has caused some problems. Being so thick it pushes the radiator extremely close to the engine, a few months after install one of the coolant hoses was cut by rubbing against a plastic fin on the stock air box. I replaced th ehose and trimmed the fins. When I installed it I did slide the assembly as far forward as possible but still...
I also noticed that if I ever wanted to drain the radiator, the lower right side is so close to the engine now it cannot be removed without moving the entire radiator/IC assembly :(. Now after a year and over 15,000 miles of trouble free operation I just got another low coolant warning while out and about. After investigating I discovered one of the right side auxiliary radiator hoses has been cut by the alternator pulley :(.
That hose can be repositioned had I known it would be an issue, it is not touching but is about 1 cm away, so I imagine with engine movement it has been intermittent making contact and...
The IC I have is 65 mm thick, I just happened to look on Ebay and noticed the current Magic IC for this car shows it is 50 mm thick. I am tempted to buy this new thinner version, this older one does fit, but just barely. Long term this tight fit can cause issues, not to mention if you ever have to service the cooling system, good luck.
So my feed back is if you have this thicker IC like mine, you might want to reposition that hose that runs past the alternator pulley. Also if you are looking to install one of these, do yourself a favor and get one of these 50 mm thick IC's, 65-70 mm is just to thick to work well in this application. It works but... I can only imagine folks that shelled out a lot more for that Wagner IC are in a the same boat, I believe that one is 70 mm thick.
I imagine this has been discussed already somewhere in the massive thread but figured I would add my two cents. Looking at this thing I cannot see any good way to improve clearance with this thick IC, not without some serious fabrication work, but if anyone come up with something please let me know. I am thinking I may just need to bite the bullet and swap it with one of these new thinner IC's. I highly doubt I will notice a difference in performance and coolant system leaks are not fun.
Just so you know the 66mm isn't new. They've had different sizes all along. It's also the same thickness as the Wagner so it does fit in the application

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Just so you know the 66mm isn't new. They've had different sizes all along. It's also the same thickness as the Wagner so it does fit in the application
Oh I know the 66 mm is not new, that is the one I have form over a year ago, after seeing this thread. At the time I did not know their was an option for a 50 mm version, all the ones I saw were the 66 mm versions and I do not recall anyone mentioning different thickness options.
I just got it all apart and it does look like the upper radiator clip had popped out and brackets weren't as tight as I thought because I loosened them and was able to move it even further forward a bit. With those changes it does give just enough room, barely. I am going to try hogging out the bracket slot holes a bit to move it even further forward and use some blue locktite on the bracket screws. With all that done I think it should be okay.
My point is that I think the 66 mm thickness is overkill for most folks and it makes things extremely tight, if I were to do it again I would go with the 50 mm thickness. I believe most of the aftermarket IC's are closer to that thickness and that is probably for good reason. All that being said I have logged data with this IC and it is a beast, ITA is not something I worry about, at all so...
All of this has probably been discussed already more than once, this thread it way to long so... Just sharing my experience with it and looking to see what if anything others have done about it.

ClubFed

Car(s)
Golf R
Installed my majesty. i didn't need to cut or shave anything on the IC so i'm happy about that. the yellow clips were a pain but they didn't break coming out or going back in. Had to shave the fins off my oem airbox. Might try heat gunning the bottom of the box and whacking it with a rubber mallet and seeing if i can get a little more give for the radiator hose thats currently hugging the box. the pipes that came with the IC are shit and kept popping off. so I tossed the oem ones back on and they did fine on some back to back pulls no issue.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
47 miles and a few pulls later, blew one of the charge pipes. There was one I wasn't sure about and I'm betting it's that one. I'll try the Majesty hose, but if it comes off again I'll just go back to the OEM ones.

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
47 miles and a few pulls later, blew one of the charge pipes. There was one I wasn't sure about and I'm betting it's that one. I'll try the Majesty hose, but if it comes off again I'll just go back to the OEM ones.
I've been using the oem hoses on the IC and never had any issues. I've been running this IC for over 2 years now 😎🤘