GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Who has this eBay intercooler and the APR carbon intake installed ?

I can’t get my APR intake to fit right [emoji51]
Bottom grommet location seems to be off and it’s super tight around the coolant hose / radiator.

Please see attached pictures.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

I can’t get my APR intake to fit right

It seems that some intakes won't fit properly if an Ebay or Wagner sized IC is installed. There is a member on here who previously had an SB intake that wouldn't fit because of the Ebay IC pushing back the rad assembly. My 034 intake fits because it uses the stock lower airbox.

ScootX

Hello all,

I've been following this thread for a while and I finally decided to order this intercooler for my car from CSK Performance.

Unfortunately, one of mounting/peg had broken. The thing is, the broken part is not in the box, which leads me to believe that it was broken before they shipped it.
Another unfortunate thing is I had not checked the intercooler properly when it had arrived and left it in the original box for a few weeks. So refund/compensation is probably not possible.

Sorry if this is stupid question. but can you still install this if one of the peg is broken?

Attachments

• 20191205_100042.jpg
    20191205_100042.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 255

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

I can’t get my APR intake to fit right [emoji51]
Bottom grommet location seems to be off and it’s super tight around the coolant hose / radiator.

Please see attached pictures.

YES! Another person with this issue! Mine does this too!

It really annoys me! I ended up getting it to BARELY fit but the coolant is shoved against the apr intake so bad the hose is starting to leak now.

Ive tried both apr coolant reroute, ecs hose and OEM house they all do it. I can't seem to get it to work unless I don't attach apr intake properly and just zip tie it to the core support instead of clicking in (which honestly isnt even a big deal is still fine)

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for a while and I finally decided to order this intercooler for my car from CSK Performance.

Unfortunately, one of mounting/peg had broken. The thing is, the broken part is not in the box, which leads me to believe that it was broken before they shipped it.
Another unfortunate thing is I had not checked the intercooler properly when it had arrived and left it in the original box for a few weeks. So refund/compensation is probably not possible.

Sorry if this is stupid question. but can you still install this if one of the peg is broken?

Yes it would still be fine just send a self tapper through the yellow clip at the top and that bitch isn't going anywhere. My pegs were off so bad they're hardly even in the grommets xD

ScootX

Got a buddy with a TIG?
No, but there are quite number of repair shop that specialize in customized exhaust, so I should have no issue with that.
Problem is that the broken part is gone so, will need to machine the peg. If not I was planning to simply use the JB weld / steel expoxy.

Yes it would still be fine just send a self tapper through the yellow clip at the top and that bitch isn't going anywhere. My pegs were off so bad they're hardly even in the grommets xD

That is good to know. Thanks!
When I brought to the shop for installation, the mechanics over there was shocked to see how huge the intercooler was. Its almost as big as the Wagner :D

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No, but there are quite number of repair shop that specialize in customized exhaust, so I should have no issue with that.
Problem is that the broken part is gone so, will need to machine the peg. If not I was planning to simply use the JB weld / steel expoxy

Just an FYI, most repair shops aren't going to have the ability to weld aluminum. Maybe a custom exhaust shop will have an AC/DC TIG but your standard repair shops usually just have MIGs and no spool gun.

You should be able to find a similar size piece of aluminum bar stock or even an aluminum bushing of similar diameter. No need to turn it on a lathe, these are not precision components.

Fukeneh

My 2 cents for anyone considering install. These units are beasts by comparison of size to the stock R intercooler. Got the 2.5 inch - bar & plate design.
Fitment - well it’s $300 vs $800 so my expectation was that it was not going to be 100%. I’m no pro but install wasn’t that difficult to manage.
Thought I would share my struggle/experience with it to potentially save another from grief. Part of the install that was a struggle was with the yellow clips (after the cooler was attached to the rad) trying to force them back through into rad support. It felt like it was getting hung up somewhere, but everything was free n clear - clips were not sliding back into its track properly. I snapped off the ends of the yellow clips thinking that would free it up. No avail... Turned out from centre line of the clips from one side to the other was off by about 3/16” on both sides compared to the stock approx. 29-7/8” - Magic was 30 1/4. Filed it down on either side to slide the clips on further towards the core and it popped in straight first time.(put a screw into both yellow clips to secure them- hole is pre drilled)
Second tip that made life easier was I removed the rubber grommets for the pegs, once the cooler was in place - pushed/secured the grommet back up through the hole from the bottom side of the rad support assembly.
Hope that helps someone.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Is this still the go to, best bang for your buck intercooler? Or is there another flavor or the week?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It may be slowly eating through my radiator but it performs damn well.

I'm still happy I went with an oversized IC at the time as I highly doubt some of the brand name ones would've been able to support 32psi in 90* summer heat. So even though it's a pain to install correctly you should never have to go bigger :)

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Is this still the go to, best bang for your buck intercooler? Or is there another flavor or the week?
I would say yes, I have had mine for over a year now and it's been great. I got mine for $253USD shipped to Canada, can't beat that!

Krog29

Ready to race!
Just installed this. Not the easiest thing in the world and not the greatest fitment but got it in. Haha

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Ordered mine a few days ago, mid april they say, then vortex xl and a protune. Should be set for summer

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Looks like I don’t have to trim the upper pegs, right?
611B8345-5D39-4491-BEFD-85AFA2C2DA01.jpeg
611B8345-5D39-4491-BEFD-85AFA2C2DA01.jpeg
BB245C76-4F04-45C4-ADC5-E625915876DD.jpeg