GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I ended up getting one, all i needed to do was file the upper tabs for the radiator. Other than that it fit in tight but nothing was rubbing like others have had

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Anyone try running the MAGIC/CSK intercooler with the CSF radiator?
I don't think you can, not with the 66 mm thick one anyway, and not with any other thick IC either, there just isn't that much room, not unless you are prepared to do some sort of modification. From what I can see that upgraded radiator is at least 16 mm thicker than stock. So you could do it if you had the 50 mm IC, but it starts getting tight really fast with anything bigger than that. The video claims they had a IE IC which i believe used to be 57 mm? Although it looks like they now have a 70 mm IC (the biggest! according to their marketing). See what we made them do. :)
Notice in those CSF videos and marketing material they never show how well everything is fitting in the engine bay, because we probably don't want to know. So yes a 50 mm thick IC is still significantly bigger than stock and I would bet more than enough for the stock turbo and then some, with that size you could just fit this radiator, barely.

I was thinking for the R folks those upgraded auxiliary coolers could be a better option if you have a big IC and don't want to down size for the radiator. I am kind of new to these cars and only with the R, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to add the R auxiliary radiators to the GTI if you needed more cooling, has anyone done that? Also I have not experienced or heard of any serious over heat issues with this car. But I also don't go all out for 20-30 minutes straight either so... Is there an over heat issue? Because other than in the CSF marketing material, I have not seen any mention of it.
Do we want big shiny radiators that might help under certain conditions? Of course we do! Do we need them? :unsure:

Fukeneh

I installed one of these IC's about a year ago, and as advertised it required some modification, but it performs extremely well. However, the one I have is 65 mm thick and that has caused some problems. Being so thick it pushes the radiator extremely close to the engine, a few months after install one of the coolant hoses was cut by rubbing against a plastic fin on the stock air box. I replaced th ehose and trimmed the fins. When I installed it I did slide the assembly as far forward as possible but still...
I also noticed that if I ever wanted to drain the radiator, the lower right side is so close to the engine now it cannot be removed without moving the entire radiator/IC assembly :(. Now after a year and over 15,000 miles of trouble free operation I just got another low coolant warning while out and about. After investigating I discovered one of the right side auxiliary radiator hoses has been cut by the alternator pulley :(.
That hose can be repositioned had I known it would be an issue, it is not touching but is about 1 cm away, so I imagine with engine movement it has been intermittent making contact and...
The IC I have is 65 mm thick, I just happened to look on Ebay and noticed the current Magic IC for this car shows it is 50 mm thick. I am tempted to buy this new thinner version, this older one does fit, but just barely. Long term this tight fit can cause issues, not to mention if you ever have to service the cooling system, good luck.
So my feed back is if you have this thicker IC like mine, you might want to reposition that hose that runs past the alternator pulley. Also if you are looking to install one of these, do yourself a favor and get one of these 50 mm thick IC's, 65-70 mm is just to thick to work well in this application. It works but... I can only imagine folks that shelled out a lot more for that Wagner IC are in a the same boat, I believe that one is 70 mm thick.
I imagine this has been discussed already somewhere in the massive thread but figured I would add my two cents. Looking at this thing I cannot see any good way to improve clearance with this thick IC, not without some serious fabrication work, but if anyone come up with something please let me know. I am thinking I may just need to bite the bullet and swap it with one of these new thinner IC's. I highly doubt I will notice a difference in performance and coolant system leaks are not fun.

Had the exact same issue a couple of weeks ago. Coolant spewing everywhere. Didn't notice from after install that the one fin on the airbox was so tight on the hose. Time and pressure won that battle vs the coolant hose to DSG cooler. TAKE DOWN THE FIN ON THE AIRBOX!

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone having problems with this intercooler coupled with Apr intake? I read some where that it womt fit with APR intake?

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
I installed my Deepmotor intercooler today and was very impressed by how well it was packaged/made/fit for the pricepoint. The only mods I needed to do were trimming the tabs on the a/c condenser a little and trimming the plastic air guides a little. I still have plenty of clearance between the fan shroud and coolant hoses as well as the a/c compressor pulley.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Is anyone having problems with this intercooler coupled with Apr intake? I read some where that it womt fit with APR intake?
Although I have no experience with the APR intake specifically I will say that installing this IC pushes the whole radiator/IC/AC condenser assembly further into the engine bay. Fellow member Nype couldn't get the SB intake to fit on his car because of this. You best bet would either to stay stock or get an intake that uses the OEM lower portion of the intake.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Hello, I'm finding several different thickness and hose sizes. Anyone know which one fit the best (least amount of modding), use OEM hoses and the one everyone is raving about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202712243431?ul_noapp=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/73MM-Competition-Intercooler-For-VW-MK7-GTI-Golf-R-VAG-1-8T-2-0T-8V-A3-S3-EA888/323973303188?fits=Model:GTI&hash=item4b6e504b94:g:M9wAAOSwY75dxRKs
Out of these two the 55 mm thick magic IC will be a better fit.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I installed my Deepmotor intercooler today and was very impressed by how well it was packaged/made/fit for the pricepoint. The only mods I needed to do were trimming the tabs on the a/c condenser a little and trimming the plastic air guides a little. I still have plenty of clearance between the fan shroud and coolant hoses as well as the a/c compressor pulley.

How do you like it? Can you link to it, please?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yup. Do you know where the radiator part number is stamped or embossed?

No I dont but you can find out what you have using the VIN number. That's much easier than finding a number stamped on it while it's installed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not sure I can check every part number in my car through my VIN... Or can I?

Obviously I could be wrong but it's always worked so far. Like when I go to an indie shop and they order parts they always order based on my VIN number. Never have got a wrong part that way.