GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Obviously I could be wrong but it's always worked so far. Like when I go to an indie shop and they order parts they always order based on my VIN number. Never have got a wrong part that way.

Oh, no doubt you can order new parts, but I was talking about actually knowing what's inside my car from the factory. Because parts get updated and PNs can get superseded, so a replacement PN may not be the same as what's in my car at the moment.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh, no doubt you can order new parts, but I was talking about actually knowing what's inside my car from the factory. Because parts get updated and PNs can get superseded, so a replacement PN may not be the same as what's in my car at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the VIN does show how it came from the factory.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Interestingly enough, VW parts lists two types or radiators with different core PNs.

You don't need to but if you want to ask a dealer if your VIN would give that specific part number for your car. I'll ask the indy shop I'm going to for rear brakes if the VIN is that specific.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I don't think there was talk of different sizes when I ordered mine, but going back and looking, it'd seem I have the 66mm core version, which would explain why it was so damn big. I looked and the alternator pulley is a little close, but looks to have plenty of clearance, and I don't see that coolant hose pushed up against the sharp edges of the airbox. I did scribe everywhere that the crash bar was bolted down to, but I kicked the top (or bottom? I don't recall) out a little bit from it's original spot. However, I did see that it looks like one of the hoses from the intercooler is pressed up against the fan shroud housing on the radiator a little. It's not even been 1k miles since the install with all this staying home business, but I suppose I should figure out a way to fix this, the problem was I just didn't really see anyway to make additional clearance.

Leathersword

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
How do you like it?

Short answer is: I am happy with the IAT numbers (despite living in California) and haven't had any trouble with it since I put it in. Given that it is roughly $200 less than a APR or AMS intercooler, I am happy with the value IATs are only a little warmer than what I have seen reported from cars with the highest end units.

Longer answer: This was my first intercooler install on any car so maybe a grain of salt is necessary buuuut, fitment was a bit of a bitch. I probably spent two or three hours figuring out where it wasn't fitting properly and filing and muscling it into place which was certainly an annoyance given that I paid more than twice as much as for an ebay unit to avoid fitment issues (maybe I just got lucky on the not quite to spec unit lottery). The first problem was on the passenger's side of the radiator with the tab that goes into the top hooks on the intercooler. For some reason it was too big or the square slot on the intercooler was too small but I had to file down all four sides of the tab before it would fit in. Driver's side tab fit perfectly. 🤷‍♂️
Second problem and at the time I thought it was a deal breaker, was the pegs on the bottom of the intercooler and the slots they are meant to go into on the bottom of the core support. Again, driver's side was fine but on the passenger's side there was a bit of the core support which curves in and binds against the end tank on the intercooler (circled in red in the last picture) preventing the peg on that side from sliding into the slot at the bottom. In the end I fiddled it around and was able to shove it in without modifying anything but it was not easy.
I have a few other minor complaints but those are the big ones. Maybe it just comes down to me having trouble putting things into holes... or maybe it is because I have a 2017 sport GTI, either are equally likely. If people are interested I could make a whole post on my experience with the unitronic so people don't have to read through 91 pages of ebay intercooler comments to find it haha. I hope that answers your question.
20200618_092246.jpg
drivers core.jpg
passengers core.jpg
end tank hitting core.jpg

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I don't think there was talk of different sizes when I ordered mine, but going back and looking, it'd seem I have the 66mm core version, which would explain why it was so damn big. I looked and the alternator pulley is a little close, but looks to have plenty of clearance, and I don't see that coolant hose pushed up against the sharp edges of the airbox. I did scribe everywhere that the crash bar was bolted down to, but I kicked the top (or bottom? I don't recall) out a little bit from it's original spot. However, I did see that it looks like one of the hoses from the intercooler is pressed up against the fan shroud housing on the radiator a little. It's not even been 1k miles since the install with all this staying home business, but I suppose I should figure out a way to fix this, the problem was I just didn't really see anyway to make additional clearance.
The issue with the air box hose rub is for folks with a Golf R with added hoses for the auxiliary radiators. As for the alternator pulley, the engine will move quite a bit so make sure you have as much clearance as possible, the hose bracket can be easily bent so just try to get as much clearance as you can. Mine was in for over a year and 15-20K before it eventually touched enough to damage the hose.
As for creating more space did you see my post on page 89?

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
The question now is which hoses to use. The Magic one has 73mm wide inlet/outlet. What about the stock IC?
As I recall the stock hoses fit, but mine came with new silicon hoses so I used those. And the nice hose clamps that are just a little to small and a real PIA to get on (which has been mentioned by many others).

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

I had the same thing. I just made it so the hose clamp is exactly in the way between the the hose and shroud where it is touching. A year later and all seems well (visually confirmed no wear).

If it should ever come to it, I'll just grind the shroud down a bit in that spot, but I doubt it ever will.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Anyone have any experience with the Tube and Fin Majesty? Seems to be the only one I can find on Ebay and Ali at the moment, not having any luck finding a bar and plate model. Tempted to just go with the BMS IC for a hundred some extra.