GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
I see this. Only 15 bucks but better than nothing.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

That one did work.. noted 5/31 expiration. Have a few days to see if a % coupon pops us.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Finally got my install done. Install took 4.5 hrs. I prepped the intercooler with the mods to the peg and clips etc. a few days ago so it was less of a fitment struggle when I did the install.

I also ended up sanding down the radiator peg and tab that fit into the top of the intercooler for a much easier fit. Just as an FYI, I really didn't have an issue undoing the dreaded clips, probably less than 10 minutes for both.

Used two screwdrivers and pried the clip forward from in between the intercooler and the mounting assembly. I think it helped that the garage was 90 degrees so the clips were pliable rather than cold and brittle.

Mods to the intercooler that I did for fitment:

1. drivers peg cut down to 21mm in total length and ground back the base of the peg 5mm- used angle grinder
2. brackets for the condenser
3. opened up the bottom radiator notch on the intercooler by about 2-3mm on the side closer to the engine.
4. used a Dremel to sand down the tab and the peg on the upper radiator where it presses into the upper intercooler
5. used Dremel to sand down the ridges on the inside of the radiator clips so they fit over the intercooler side pegs - reused clips from OEM
6. used Dremel to cut down the upper intercooler slots where the radiator tabs push through by about 2mm on the side facing the front of the car

Overall it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from some of the install horror stories, but this wouldn't be a part that I would take to any mechanic and expect them to put it in due to the fitment issues.

The money I saved on buying this intercooler and installing myself was well worth any of the effort required to do it.

Also want to say huge thanks to the VW community for the info on this forum. It was a big help in making this install go much smoother!

Stock Intercooler:
https://datazap.me/u/jd7/log-1500746876?log=0&data=1-6

EBAY Magic intercooler:
https://datazap.me/u/jd7/ebay-magic-intercooler-0?log=0&data=1-6

Included obligatory igloo install pic :cool: Eh. don't know why it's turned like that. it wasn't like that on my laptop ?!

Attachments

• Obligatory igloo cooler install pic.JPG
    Obligatory igloo cooler install pic.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 777

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Got her in today. About 3.5 hours. That included cutting driver side peg and grinding out the top ic clip holes, they were just a tad too tight.

Should have grabbed a pic after the ic was in. Oh well.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Enjoy it y’all! Good to see the EBay/ Magic IC Family Grow!! We running shit! Lmao!!!

koniu77

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question for the people in the know, I replaced my stock intercooler with a unitronic unit last year before the eBay craze, should I be thinking about replacing it with this bad boy for my is38 fob car?

ndenning46

Quick question for the people in the know, I replaced my stock intercooler with a unitronic unit last year before the eBay craze, should I be thinking about replacing it with this bad boy for my is38 fob car?

Why would you bother, at least you bought quality not quantity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

koniu77

Passed Driver's Ed
Why would you bother, at least you bought quality not quantity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looking at the pictures the core on the eBay intercooler is much bigger than the unitronic unit, I'm not worried about installation because I've done it before and it's not that bad, plus I like to wrench on my own cars, I'm just curious if there would be any real benefit in swapping out the smaller unitronic with the much bigger ebay intercooler.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Looking at the pictures the core on the eBay intercooler is much bigger than the unitronic unit, I'm not worried about installation because I've done it before and it's not that bad, plus I like to wrench on my own cars, I'm just curious if there would be any real benefit in swapping out the smaller unitronic with the much bigger ebay intercooler.

no

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

I would not. You increased the cooling volume by 40% over what the Golf R with IS38 comes with.

Hotwire1

Passed Driver's Ed
I want an ebay coupon for this... EVERY TIME I get money to spend on my car.. the coupons expire... FML

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I want an ebay coupon for this... EVERY TIME I get money to spend on my car.. the coupons expire... FML

Don't spend it till next time?