GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD or tires?

hammermortyy

Hey everyone, not a super serious post but wanted to ask if I should do one of the other or neither at all.

I've got a 2017 GTI S 6spd APR stage 2 with a APR high flow cat and DKM stage 2 clutch rated for 440 ft/lbs torque. 52k miles on the car.

My car is a non performance pack so has the most basic open diff. Right now my car gets pretty bad wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd gear. It doesn't pull as hard as it did with fresh conti all seasons. My tires aren't old BTW, plenty of tread, but I feel they have lost a bit of their grip. (honestly I think the conti's suck after a couple thousand miles, road noise goes up quite a bit too) Tires I have are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 All seasons. Tires I'd consider getting are Michelin Pilot sport 4s (I could swap between them in the winter)

I was thinking of upgrading to a wavetrac LSD to fight some of the wheel spin. I know better tires would be cheaper but I am afraid that is just a temporary fix for a bigger issue. Plus tires are expensive and the stickier they are the quicker you have to replace them.

I just upgraded my clutch this past year so I should have done the LSD job then while the transmission was out of the car but I didn't. Plus since I've got a DKM clutch I feel like it's a matter of time before my TOB fails or it just gives up so maybe I should just wait until then if you guys think the job would be cheaper when doing a clutch.

I've also toyed with the idea of getting a new/used IS38 and intercooler to round off my car but I think I'd rather fix the wheel spin issue first. Stage 2 power is great until I'm on the interstate, that has me wanting more. My car has a manufacture buy back title so even though it's been great to me with no issues, no one wants it, so I've been thinking about the upgrades I can do to take it from a daily to a more serious "weekend" car. So upgraded diff and IS38 seems like they'd get me there while keeping the car reliable and "stock" feeling to drive around day to day.

All that being said, what are your guy's thoughts on this, LSD versus tires?

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
The LSD is going to be more noticeable in powering through corners, but theoretically it helps put down power whenever one wheel is spinning.

I have the wavetrac, and it's awesome. It made a big difference in corners even before I got summer tires. I couldn't say if it tangibly improved straight line acceleration because I also upgraded mounts at the same time.

I'd vote summer tires. They're the one thing between you and the road. I only went with the LSD because I was having the clutch done anyway. Definitely recommend it if you're ever in there again.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Engine/transmission mounts, then IS38 upgrade. IS38 will move the powerband to the upper RPM range.
If you’re still losing traction then tires. IMO LSD is if you track your car. If you do that might as well switch out that DKM clutch too….

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
As someone who has everything on your wishlist.

Priorities in this order:

1. Intercooler (OEM is hardly up to stock power, and maxed out at stage 1)

2. BFI stage 1 dog bone insert (minimum requirement for traction). Do all three stage 1 mounts if you’re over 75k the original OEM engine & transmission mounts are jello

3. Is38 (as mentioned moves the power band towards redline

4. You’ll probably be due for tires by now, go with something from Michelin (ideally summer & all season sets or summer & snow depending on climate

5. If that pos DKM is still hanging on maybe swap it & the TOB for something quality & IF you still feel the need maybe a LSD.

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Tires are the only thing that makes contact with the road.

This comes first. A good 200AA tire such as Falken RT660 will do.

hammermortyy

As someone who has everything on your wishlist.

Priorities in this order:

1. Intercooler (OEM is hardly up to stock power, and maxed out at stage 1)

2. BFI stage 1 dog bone insert (minimum requirement for traction). Do all three stage 1 mounts if you’re over 75k the original OEM engine & transmission mounts are jello

3. Is38 (as mentioned moves the power band towards redline

4. You’ll probably be due for tires by now, go with something from Michelin (ideally summer & all season sets or summer & snow depending on climate

5. If that pos DKM is still hanging on maybe swap it & the TOB for something quality & IF you still feel the need maybe a LSD.
Good idea on the dogbone insert. It looks like it's $50 and if it helps I'll move that to the front on the list. In my short time of researching it people say it has noticeable NVH vibrations but they said it goes down after 1,000 miles or so.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Good idea on the dogbone insert. It looks like it's $50 and if it helps I'll move that to the front on the list. In my short time of researching it people say it has noticeable NVH vibrations but they said it goes down after 1,000 miles or so.
It’s barely noticeable with a 6MT. The dsg is a different story. I also have stage 1 BFI motor mount and trans insert. I am is38 and 2nd just barely looses grip with Michelin pilot sport 4s.
I’ve been in @GTI Jake’s gti and he has stage 2 mounts and a rally exhaust. It sounds and feels like a racecar.
Also been in @CaptainRattys GTI but his is dsg and has significantly more nvh with almost the same setup as me.

hammermortyy

It’s barely noticeable with a 6MT. The dsg is a different story. I also have stage 1 BFI motor mount and trans insert. I am is38 and 2nd just barely looses grip with Michelin pilot sport 4s.
I’ve been in @GTI Jake’s gti and he has stage 2 mounts and a rally exhaust. It sounds and feels like a racecar.
Also been in @CaptainRattys GTI but his is dsg and has significantly more nvh with almost the same setup as me.
Really? Dang. I looked into the full kit and it's $580 which is quite a bit. That's good to know that with your set up 2nd barely looses grip. However I think your car has the VW LSD and pilot sport 4s are summer tires. I'm sure both of those things are helping in addition to the mounts.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Really? Dang. I looked into the full kit and it's $580 which is quite a bit. That's good to know that with your set up 2nd barely looses grip. However I think your car has the VW LSD and pilot sport 4s are summer tires. I'm sure both of those things are helping in addition to the mounts.
I do have the vaq diff and yes summer tires. As far as NVH just saying you won’t notice a huge change.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

No need for the kit, their billet transmission mount is over the top.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cheap-bfi-diy-transmission-mount.380830/

I’ve had their stage 2 engine mount, transmission insert, and dog bone insert for 130k miles issue free.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Tires are the #1 thing, especially if you're on bad all seasons (dws06 are why you're spinning). I wouldn't bother with the wavetrac until you've done all of the other "easy" stuff (intercooler, mounts, turbo). Even then, it's not a great use of money unless you're tracking the car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Tires. Fwd is fwd though so have reasonable expectations.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Tires I have are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 All seasons
Talking about wheelspin on all seasons when you're not in the rain or snow is kind of weird imo. You should be driving like a granny on these, they aren't safe for anything else. The only way you wouldn't be able to see that, would be because you haven't had a proper set of extreme performance / summer tires. Grab a pair and watch your problems disappear.