GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Springs??

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
EXTREMELY subjective...

I've pulled apart and put back the suspension on a MK7 more times than I can count. I know the torque specs by heart. Also have experience with a variety of different setups / product offerings.

Eibach is far and away the best solution for a lowering spring if you want to use the stock dampers. It also depends on whether you have a DCC car or not. I could literally write a dissertation on this, so I'm going to keep this fairly short & sweet...ish.

Having a damper and spring combination that accurately match for spring rate and strut tuning can't be out matched. Unless you are replacing your struts with something in the "sporty" category, something like what @tigeo has already recommended, you are going to have some odd driving behaviors similar to what's been mentioned above. Bouncy, stiff, crashy, etc. This is from having an overly stiff spring on a damper that wasn't designed for it. It's a very hard combo to achieve. I'd go as far as saying that any lowering spring on a stock damper, DCC or not, is near impossible to achieve a proper riding suspension.

Most people who state that they don't have an issue with their lowering spring / stock damper setup have never experienced a legit setup with properly matched spring / damper combinations. The difference is night and day, and the quality of rebound / compression is evident the moment you hit the first bump in the road. My recommendation would be to save your money and get a kit that was designed for the car, or pick up a set of sport dampers to match with your lowering springs. Bilstein makes some good offerings, but many of their struts don't have a shortened shock body, so they aren't suited for a lowering spring nor will they retain their warranty if you use a strut that's not designed to support a lowering spring (as if they would know if you sent one in for warranty, but that's a different discussion).

There's also the issue with improperly installed springs. Torque values not followed, 2x4 method, not torqueing threaded parts while the car is curb wight bearing, etc. Front lower ball join nuts and rear LCA bolts including the strut bolts are all supposed to be tightened with the car on the ground. If not, you are excessively loading bushings and will cause them to fail prematurely. Don't get me started on not replacing hardware, especially thread locking nuts that are one time use. There's a lot more that goes into choosing and installing suspension, and unfortunately most dealerships do most of this wrong... they take the easy way out, reusing hardware, using air tools to torque top strut nuts, etc. I've called several dealerships on several occasions looking for suspension hardware, very common parts that should be in stock if the techs were actually replacing the stuff, and they aren't. I'm talking about things like sway bar and LCA nuts. They should have an abundance of these parts in stock, but they don't, and it's because they just reuse what's on the car.

Save for some good coilovers, and have someone that knows what they are doing install them. You won't regret it.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
EXTREMELY subjective...

I've pulled apart and put back the suspension on a MK7 more times than I can count. I know the torque specs by heart. Also have experience with a variety of different setups / product offerings.

Eibach is far and away the best solution for a lowering spring if you want to use the stock dampers. It also depends on whether you have a DCC car or not. I could literally write a dissertation on this, so I'm going to keep this fairly short & sweet...ish.

Having a damper and spring combination that accurately match for spring rate and strut tuning can't be out matched. Unless you are replacing your struts with something in the "sporty" category, something like what @tigeo has already recommended, you are going to have some odd driving behaviors similar to what's been mentioned above. Bouncy, stiff, crashy, etc. This is from having an overly stiff spring on a damper that wasn't designed for it. It's a very hard combo to achieve. I'd go as far as saying that any lowering spring on a stock damper, DCC or not, is near impossible to achieve a proper riding suspension.

Most people who state that they don't have an issue with their lowering spring / stock damper setup have never experienced a legit setup with properly matched spring / damper combinations. The difference is night and day, and the quality of rebound / compression is evident the moment you hit the first bump in the road. My recommendation would be to save your money and get a kit that was designed for the car, or pick up a set of sport dampers to match with your lowering springs. Bilstein makes some good offerings, but many of their struts don't have a shortened shock body, so they aren't suited for a lowering spring nor will they retain their warranty if you use a strut that's not designed to support a lowering spring (as if they would know if you sent one in for warranty, but that's a different discussion).

There's also the issue with improperly installed springs. Torque values not followed, 2x4 method, not torqueing threaded parts while the car is curb wight bearing, etc. Front lower ball join nuts and rear LCA bolts including the strut bolts are all supposed to be tightened with the car on the ground. If not, you are excessively loading bushings and will cause them to fail prematurely. Don't get me started on not replacing hardware, especially thread locking nuts that are one time use. There's a lot more that goes into choosing and installing suspension, and unfortunately most dealerships do most of this wrong... they take the easy way out, reusing hardware, using air tools to torque top strut nuts, etc. I've called several dealerships on several occasions looking for suspension hardware, very common parts that should be in stock if the techs were actually replacing the stuff, and they aren't. I'm talking about things like sway bar and LCA nuts. They should have an abundance of these parts in stock, but they don't, and it's because they just reuse what's on the car.

Save for some good coilovers, and have someone that knows what they are doing install them. You won't regret it.
So then to build off of that. What are your top recommendations for proper coilovers?

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’m on EMD and love it.
C46DAC8A-A292-4E7F-B4F8-FB94BA523C12.jpeg

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Do you have DCC?

What do you plan on doing with the car? Any track or auto x use?

I see your mod list. Is it just a street car? Also, it really depends on your budget.
I do not think so. How would I know

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You have a S, no DCC.

A way to tell is if you have a "comfort" drive setting. Your settings are like mine; eco, normal, sport, and custom.
I have normal sport and custom lol. I don't even have eco

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
EXTREMELY subjective...

^ This is why I'm stock. ^

tigeo

Autocross Champion
EXTREMELY subjective...

I agree with most of your points - good stuff and very true especially the install bits w/r to noises etc. Bilstein B8s are 1" shorter overall and are their recommended damper for lowering springs. However, the reason for the shorter body is simply pre-load, not a damper difference. They are 100% identical to the B6 except for length. My point is that if the springs are "made for" stock dampers as Eibach and H&R state, they really mean that they are made to work with that length damper so the spring will be tight and not loose/moving around. It's why most of the lowering springs have dead coils in them to act as a spacer so the spring isn't loose. Take Koni sports/yellows - you can either use them with stock or aftermarket springs and they aren't any shorter than the stockers. The main reason to do sport dampers is just to get the damping rate up a bit for the slightly higher rate springs. I didn't have an issue with my stock dampers on my H&Rs but the rebound was a bit off as you state at high speeds - not the best match but certainly ok for daily driving which is what most people are doing. I think springs/dampers are a great setup if you aren't concerned with the perfect fitment etc. and are a bit cheaper than the most budget coilovers.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The way I think of it, with my Eibach lowering springs, its a cool look for a good price. I have DCC so coilovers were out of the price range i was willing to spend at the time. Theres probably no ACTUAL performance gain although the car feels a lot more sporty and I like the feel to it. Even on comfort mode its still pretty stiff and i notice the car being less forgiving over bumps. If you can, try to go for a ride along or test drive someones car with springs to see if its for you. I got them with the intention of getting springs, using them until my stock dampers blew out and putting some cash away to save for coils, then replacing when the time came.