GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Springs??

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Hey everybody! Out of curiosity for those running lowering Springs, how are they, do you recommend them, which ones did you Buy and why??

Im considering getting lowering Springs for slightly stiffer handling and an all around more aggressive look but there so many options with such a large price range. I'm looking to lower the car by about 0.75"-1.05" from factory. Thanks for the input!!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Lowering springs work well to give you less fender gap and increase the overall ride stiffness. A few notes:

You can run them with your stock dampers HOWEVER if your stockers are getting long in the tooth, I suggest replacing them while you have this done as it's easy. Also replace your hardware and mounts/bearings. Bilstein B4 or B8 or Koni Active or Sports all are good options to use as replacement dampers with sport springs. See my video here for some info:

H&R and Eibach are big names the make quality springs. Check out the new APR ones as well. All the springs are basically ~$250 regardless of brand. The lowering you get will vary often vs. what the companies state as there are many factors that impact ride height including the actual corner weights. Most folks want about an inch and that's what most of these will give you as if you go too much more you will eat into your bump travel too much...which bring me to....

The main issue with lowering springs is that you are eating into your bump travel by lowering this way - you get less bump/more droop proportionally vs. the stock setup (overall travel is the same if you using the stock/stock-replacement dampers - you are just sitting lower within the travel if that makes sense). The bounciness some complain about is mainly do to this - some springs will come with new jounce bumpers that can aid in reducing this issue. I run H&Rs with B8s on my Sportwagen and I think it rides great.

Last edited:

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I personally run the H&R sport springs, I wanted exactly what you want, and they have performed perfectly. They work well, and ride quality isnt too effected.

Theyre on sale through Urotuning right now too.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Can't complain about my VWR springs... had them on with stock shocks for about a year now without any problems. And I've only scrapped once so far lol

Inked20220210_101022 CROPPED_LI.jpg

20211023_114441 cropped.jpg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bilstein B4 or B8 or Koni Active or Sports all are good options to use as replacement dampers with sport springs. See my video here for some info:
If you're referring to the Special Actives, I'd be careful with how low you go. Something mild like an Eibach Pro Kit or DriverGear spring might be okay, but my Koni Special Actives came with a sheet of paper inside saying something to the effect of "For stock springs only" and that they need the full travel for them to do their magic properly. I assume this could affect your warranty on them as well.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you're referring to the Special Actives, I'd be careful with how low you go. Something mild like an Eibach Pro Kit or DriverGear spring might be okay, but my Koni Special Actives came with a sheet of paper inside saying something to the effect of "For stock springs only" and that they need the full travel for them to do their magic properly. I assume this could affect your warranty on them as well.
Lowering springs, at least the ones I'm talking about, are similar length as the stockers but just use multiple rates to deal with the lowering. That's what they mean when they say "tested with stock dampers" - if they were too short you wouldn't have any preload and they would be loose in the stock struts. Just some thoughts. Yes, I believe Koni advertises their Yellows/Sport as the one to use with sport springs.

Last edited:

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
I've been looking for lowering springs for a minute now... ideally coilovers that can get near the stock height for when winter comes if anyone has any recommendations

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hey everybody! Out of curiosity for those running lowering Springs, how are they, do you recommend them, which ones did you Buy and why??

Im considering getting lowering Springs for slightly stiffer handling and an all around more aggressive look but there so many options with such a large price range. I'm looking to lower the car by about 0.75"-1.05" from factory. Thanks for the input!!
I have eibach pro lowering springs.. Very stiff, very bouncy ride. Noticeable decrease in ride quality. But if you want a sportier feel then thats good. I have a bad clunking sound but I can't figure out what its from. Brakes or something. Get adjustable end links and install those if you lower. Eibach lowers about an inch. Lots of threads dedicated to lowering springs and photos

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I've been happy with my EMD springs. Pretty freaking low and have never scraped or bottomed out. I did have to remove the screw in the wheel well.
Screenshot_20220920-135006.png
1001211345a_HDR.jpg

Saleta

¿Alguien sabe si un resorte para un dcc 5Q0411105JF funcionaría en una suspensión no dcc en un gti, resortes delanteros de golf r en un gti?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have eibach pro lowering springs.. Very stiff, very bouncy ride. Noticeable decrease in ride quality. But if you want a sportier feel then thats good. I have a bad clunking sound but I can't figure out what its from. Brakes or something. Get adjustable end links and install those if you lower. Eibach lowers about an inch. Lots of threads dedicated to lowering springs and photos
Odd - not many would call the Eibach Pro Kit "very stiff, very bouncy".

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Odd - not many would call the Eibach Pro Kit "very stiff, very bouncy".

Just shows all this stuff is extremely subjective.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I have a set of H&R OE Sport on hand. Going to hold off until I get B8s to do the install. The stock has 49k so might as well knock it all out at once.