GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low compression in cylinder 1

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
They say you have to pay to play when it comes to modified cars and it looks like I've officially joined that club. A few weeks ago I took the car to the local drag track and after pulling into the parking lot after a pass I noticed my CEL flashing which typically indicates a misfire. I cleared the code, confirmed it didn't come back and then drove 110+ miles home without any issues. I pulled the plugs that weekend and they looked good so I decided to order a compression tester and was able to perform the test in my garage a week later without favorable results. Cylinder 1 showed compression in the low 100 and the remaining cylinders were around 160. I drove the car to 034 Motorsports which is local to me to have them confirm my findings and to follow that up with a leak down test. After performing those tests 034 Motorsports let me know that it looks like the piston ring on Cylinder 1 is bad (specifically ring vs ringland/piston). I weighed my options for a bit and eventually decided to order the IE built short block and swap over my cylinder head along with upgraded springs/retainers. I'm currently waiting to hear back from IE to get an idea of how long it will take to get the short block.

A bit of history/details on the car:

-Current mileage is 33k miles
-I purchased the car used from a dealer in 2017 with 23k miles on it. It looked stock at time of purchase but hard to know if it ever had a tune on it prior to my purchase
-A week or two after purchase I went Eurodyne Stage 1, followed shortly after by Eurodyne Stage 2
-The EQT turbo and tune went on at around 29k miles on the car.

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
Same thing happened to me.

Cyl #1 rings gave out and oil pan exploded from blow by. Was well over 500WHP and the motor has 72k on it.

Motor is now being built by local shop Four season Tuning. Full custom build

GL bro!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Enough crank case pressure to explode the oil pan... wow.

When I went lean at the track Cyl 1 showed the most detonation.

Luckily the motor survived with no issues.

Sorry for your loss!

Last edited:

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
Enough crank case pressure to explode the oil pan... wow.

When I went lean at the track Cyl 1 showed the most detonation.

Luckily the motor survived with no issues.

Sorry for your loss!

I was making a 1/4 pass and under full load (33psi) when the ring let go on the one piston. BOOM and a cloud of smoke.... lol Car blew up around 1/8 and still ran 10.9 @ 123. LOL motor was still running when i shut it down.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry to hear about your motor but excited to see what your results will be after built motor. I went to the strip on Saturday and hp seems to be down due to traps 3-4 mph lower then usual but ETs were still good. Hope it isn't a prelude to this. Who will be doing the work?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Yikes...was the car noticeably down on power?

The car still felt quick but I'd think with compression so low there had to be some performance penalty. There was a formal competition the next day so I only got three heat soaked runs in the whole day as everyone was out practicing and my best run was 11.55 with starting IAT at 140+.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear about your motor but excited to see what your results will be after built motor. I went to the strip on Saturday and hp seems to be down due to traps 3-4 mph lower then usual but ETs were still good. Hope it isn't a prelude to this. Who will be doing the work?

Install will be handled by Mr. Campos.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
how much are you paying for that IE short block?

IE sells the built short block for $4300, the upgraded springs/retainers are about $550 and the rest is labor which can vary wildly.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

DesertRat47

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it fair to say some of us on here have the EQT turbo? Everyone is saying “build the bottom end” when you go stage 3. I seriously don’t want to let go of my stock short block and mix up the engine numbers. But we have to pay to play. Eventually, I will get Her bottom end rebuilt.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Short block has been ordered, they had one ready to go.