GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loose bolt after Dealer service

Stonsey

Hi All, I'm after a bit of advice, I've had my cam belt, water pump and minor service carried out at main dealer last week. Lifted the bonnet today and found a loose bolt (half undone) on the engine mount, under coolant tank. Im about to send an email and apart from asking them to re-check all other bolt torque values associated with the cambelt change is there anything else I should be asking for?

Cheers.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Lol, recheck the TQ values.

They didn't use a TQ wrench the first time and they certainly won't the second time either.

Tighten the bolt and move on with your life. Be thankful it's not cross threaded. Dealer techs are generally trash.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Fact, we're most incarcerated country in the world. We have for profit prisons that lobby to make more things illegal, have jail sentences or lengthen sentences to make more money. The police unions lobby for the same.

If you haven't figured out that's fascism, you're a fascist sympathizer.

That's just the reality.

Lol, recheck the TQ values.

They didn't use a TQ wrench the first time and they certainly won't the second time either.

Tighten the bolt and move on with your life. Be thankful it's not cross threaded. Dealer techs are generally trash.
I sell to dealer techs on a daily basis and most of them are really good mechanics. I have a VW dealer on my route and the VW mechanic is first rate.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I sell to dealer techs on a daily basis and most of them are really good mechanics. I have a VW dealer on my route and the VW mechanic is first rate.
Obviously the one the OP went to isn't a good mechanic.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Wait, are the techs fascists?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
some type of compensation.....nothing huge but you had to go back. Web all mess up it's how you handle it that makes you good/bad

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'd say maybe you could talk them into giving you a free oil change. But do you want a dealership that can't even tighten bolts properly to work on your car again?

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I took my last GTI to a reputable independent shop here in New Jersey off rt 22 and they did something similar after an intake manifold replacement … sucks because everyone has great things to say about them… Now I’m scared to bring my new car there when the warranty expires. Looking for new shop now

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I took I took my last GTI to a reputable independent shop here in New Jersey off rt 22 and they did something similar after an intake manifold replacement … sucks because everyone has great things to say about them… Now I’m scared to bring my car there when the warranty expires. Looking for new shop now
I only use shops that allow me to stay with the car when the work is being done. Except when I've had to go to the dealer but I'm fortunate that the shop foreman works on my car and he drives a hopped up GTI.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I only use shops that allow me to stay with the car when the work is being done. Except when I've had to go to the dealer but I'm fortunate that the shop foreman works on my car and he drives a hopped up GTI.
Maybe that had something to do with it because I did drop it off the night before and woke up at a voicemail at 8 am asking me if I knew why my throttle body torx bolt was missing … and I purposefully never modded the car for reasons like this

what pissed me off was that they said they found a replacement bolt in the shop and charged me for it and when I put the Car on ramps a month later I saw that the bolt was still missing. It’s not about the money spent, it’s about being lied to, they lost all my confidence

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Similar thing happened to me when I got the car back from a body shop. The insurance company & body shop didn't give a shit when I told them

Inkedloose bolt - Copy_LI.jpg

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
Similar thing happened to me when I got the car back from a body shop. The insurance company & body shop didn't give a shit when I told them

View attachment 218100
oh that happened to me after insurance too... first car... 2006 mini cooper s... body shop didnt put my brake calipers back together properly and the caliper pins were loosely floating ... no idea how i had any braking power before i discovered this. could have been a potential lawsuit and bodily injury thing and i would have had no idea and no way to prove my brakes failing wasnt my fault. by the time i found out, i was paid out and the car was getting ready to be traded

what i have learned in life is that nobody will treat your car as good as you will, because it doesnt belong to them so they dont give a shit like you will. it doesnt matter if its an oil change, a car wash, or expensive and extensive warranty work. most people just want to go home and treat their job like a job even when dealing with customers expensive cars. ive also applied this lesson to other areas of my life and it's been swell.