GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for some advice

I posted a while back about poor mpg, it's dropped again over the last few months. Now getting around 40mpg, few questions:

1- Is there anything I can try to improve the mpg?
2- I've read about terraclean would this be beneficial ? http://www.terraclean.co.uk/
3- should I use any sort of fuel additives? Redex etc?

So car is 2014 1.6tdi blue-motion, aftermarket alloy wheels, 33k on clock. Recent oil change and fuel and air filters changed

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
My MPG always drops when we get into the colder months.

I've never really established whether its due to increased electrical load, wipers, lights etc or the engine isn't as efficient.

Simple physics would suggest efficiency should increase. Colder air has higher mass of oxygen giving more efficient burn when the fuel ignites.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Both of he guys above are right. I have also found that an Italian tune up helps a bit, or it just might be placebo effect. Either way, it is still fun.

Itzed

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not just the car, it's the fuel. The oil companies change the blends for summer and winter and the winter fuel does not yield the same MPG as the summer. I think it has to do with emissions.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Solutions that won't be popular.

Drop down to the smallest rims you can fit and reduced rolling resistance tires. It'll look boring, but the massive unsprung weight savings combined with lower rolling resistance will eek up the mileage nicely.

Old article on a Golf illustrating this.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

18x8 @ 51 lbs (21.9 mpg)

15x6 @ 40 lbs (23.3 mpg)

(This is with the same tire type, not lower rolling resistance tires)

davidk1175

Ready to race!
Rolling resistance and the unsprung weight of oversized wheels is 100% true, there is a ton of info about this on the Toyota Prius blog sites. They also have some comparison sheets on the so called low resistance tire tread type tires. Just to many links to this stuff, Google will guide you. I agree as well with the blends of fuel. When I lived in Alaska they changed the diesel blend to include a anti ice agent, to prevent gelling of the fuel in subartic Temps. But ideally it should punch to big a hole in your fuel economy.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I posted a while back about poor mpg, it's dropped again over the last few months. Now getting around 40mpg, few questions:

1- Is there anything I can try to improve the mpg?
2- I've read about terraclean would this be beneficial ? http://www.terraclean.co.uk/
3- should I use any sort of fuel additives? Redex etc?

So car is 2014 1.6tdi blue-motion, aftermarket alloy wheels, 33k on clock. Recent oil change and fuel and air filters changed

How old are the tires?
When you buy new tires look for Fuel efficient versions. Bridgestone has an Ecopia line that drives well. Keep aired to spec.
Do not idle can an when sitting in it. This brings MPG down quick.

pcr

Ready to race!
My limited experience of a 1.6tdi is that it gives 60mpg without trying. Have you tried a similar car so you will know if it's the car or the way you drive ?

tgil99

Passed Driver's Ed
Not as fun, but more gradual acceleration/overall smoother driving technique up to your cruising speed, properly inflated tires all the time, not just once a month or every few months, the best gas you can find.
I dont know diesel motors, but I would stay away from any additives unless your model specifically recommends it.
Good luck.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
What's the best way to do an Italian tune up?
I don't know know which is the best way, what I do is drop it down a few gears so that the car is at around 3000 rpm and then floor it. Usually I keep my foot down till it reaches the top speed, which is enough for me. Others may suggest keeping it steady at high rpm, high load.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Get a set of 15s you could swap to and test ?
I average over 50 in my 2.0 although it's not up to 60s on long trips like it has been now it's winter. Also put it down to more stop start traffic on motorways in the winter weather.. ( don't you hate that ! )