GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaving the car in the snow can do any damage?

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello guys, I live in Chicago, and everone knows that the winter is very cold and snowy here, And unfortunately I will probably have to leave my car (GTI MK7) sleeping on the street for the next couple months, including in the winter which can be very very cold! Can it cause any harm or damage to the engine? Should I be worried with any specific thing?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hello guys, I live in Chicago, and everone knows that the winter is very cold and snowy here, And unfortunately I will probably have to leave my car (GTI MK7) sleeping on the street for the next couple months, including in the winter which can be very very cold! Can it cause any harm or damage to the engine? Should I be worried with any specific thing?

So are all the cars in Chicago newer than 2013?
If not then how did they survive and yours won't?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
NO problem at all, just don't refill your coolant only with destilated water (add proper coolant) other than that... keep an eye on the salt under carriage and you'll be fine.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Don't get on the turbo when the engine is cold.

Put on snow tires so you don't get stuck after you get plowed in and do a good job shoveling out the wheels.

Assuming you mean you're just parking it outside at night, and actually using it during the day. If it's just gonna sit there for 4 months then you should buy a car cover so it doesn't get as exposed to the elements. You definitely have to drive it every couple of days though, it's not good for it to just sit there like a rock for a long time.

Last edited:

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't get on the turbo when the engine is cold.

Put on snow tires so you don't get stuck after you get plowed and do a good job shoveling out the wheels.

Assuming you mean you're just parking it outside at night, and actually using it during the day. If it's just gonna sit there for 4 months then you should buy a car cover so it doesn't get as exposed to the elements. You definitely have to drive it every couple of days though, it's not good for it to just sit there like a rock for a long time.

I will definitely be driving a couple days a week, I was just worried about it sitting there at night and waking up under snow!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Then in the spring jack the car up and remove the fender liners and clean under the car. Salt is the #1 killer.

My gti went north during winter once...I spent a whole afternoon cleaning under the car, so I don't plan on doing that again if I can help it ha. Cue the wife's car