GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lazy shift at times / DSG gurus?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
So here is one for the DSG gurus.

Occasionally my car will have a very lazy shift. Let me explain what happens.

Say your cruising down the road in 5th. You go to accelerate at maybe 60% throttle and when the car goes to shift to 6th it revs up but you feel the car slightly decelerate. Finally it will gradually shift into 6th in a very lazy way.

This happens only with part throttle acceleration. I now have noticed it happen in 2-3, 3-4 and 5-6 shifts.

If under heavy throttle is shifts quick and to the point every time. If under very light throttle it also shifts quick and to the point. It's only at say 50-70% throttle do I get this no mans land of a shift and it is intermittent.

I'll be taking it in for logging but thought I'd also reach out since this one is an odd ball for me.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
I have heard that the dsg can be lackluster when it comes to city type driving. I too have experienced what you've just mentioned and I have read that this is normal.

However, I do not have the mods that you have.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
It's all about the "predictive" nature of the TCU. It could be preselecting 6th assuming that you're moving to that from 5th. Your increased throttle tells the DSG to perhaps consider dropping to 4th since you want to accelerate. Then you hold that throttle and it realizes, meh 6th will be fine and it has to switch from 4th to 6th before you can shift.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
It's all about the "predictive" nature of the TCU. It could be preselecting 6th assuming that you're moving to that from 5th. Your increased throttle tells the DSG to perhaps consider dropping to 4th since you want to accelerate. Then you hold that throttle and it realizes, meh 6th will be fine and it has to switch from 4th to 6th before you can shift.

I'm going to try to get it to happen while in manual mode.

Just yesterday I had it happen while accelerating from a stop it went 1-2 good, 2-3 good then the 3-4 experienced an increase in rpm with a deceleration sensation then a lazy shift.

It's frustrating because it happens maybe 5% of the time and I can not readily replicate it.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

To jump on what he said above. The DSG basically acts as two manuals. It has the gear you are currently in engaged, and has the next gear loaded and spinning just waiting to engage. So it basically predicts by how you are driving which to load.
So... if you are in 5th gear steady cruising under light acceleration it will have 6th gear loaded and ready to go. If you slam down the gas it must then drop the 6th gear off the second clutch and load up the 4th gear to be engaged.

That is when you get the lazy / weird shifts.