GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control and DSG abuse

Is launch control bad for your DSG?

• If it's in the owners manual, it should be used daily.

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Only on rare occasions like driving the mother-in-law to church

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Once every couple months or less.

Votes: 63 26.7%
  • Never, don't even try it

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • What is Launch Control?

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Also if you used launch control at 2k RPM's, you didn't use launch control.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I have used launch control well over 300 hundred times I'm sure. 90 of those on a prepped track. Car works fine. Nissan denied warranty on the 08-09 GTR's only, then revised their programming and stopped worrying about it in 2010. My advice is don't be a bitch, if someone revs at you at the lights, smoke em! Lol.
Smoke em? You mean the front tires? Lol that's the only thing "launch control" is really good for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Have a friend who ownd a new Ferrari, he could only use the launch control once. Then it had to cool down..

Now he bought att 911 instead ( like a VW Golf ;) ).

He ask the dealer ship hw many launches you can do.

The answer, we don´t know...

The factory have tried tousands of lauches in a row, witout any fail.... :)

Thats German Quality! ;)...maby same with the Golf..

And Porsche is owned by VW... So a Porsche is technically a VW and Since P=VW, A VW is a porsche :p:p

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
And Porsche is owned by VW... So a Porsche is technically a VW and Since P=VW, A VW is a porsche :p:p

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Smoke em? You mean the front tires? Lol that's the only thing "launch control" is really good for.

Well I have an R so it's good for more than that, even when I had my IS38 GTI with the proper mods, launch control works fine.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Well I have an R so it's good for more than that, even when I had my IS38 GTI with the proper mods, launch control works fine.
Missed the R. Jerk. Lol

And fair point. I'm stage 2 on stock suspension with crappy tires. ;)

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion

Spin city for me. Indy 500's. I would roast first and second nor problem. I've used my launch maybe a total of 10 times. It just doesn't work well for my setup. I just launch it myself on the streets. Haven't had slicks to use at the track but I would imagine that's where launch control really shines.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Its a built in feature so I dont think its going to break anything. That being said I have only used it a couple of times because as others have said there are very few opportunities that present themselves where it is useful.

RottenJeeves

I have launch control on my Aprilia Tuono V4R. It is quite scary putting your trust in software/hardware that may cause a serious injury if it fails. :)
Glad Its not that drastic.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Its a built in feature so I dont think its going to break anything. That being said I have only used it a couple of times because as others have said there are very few opportunities that present themselves where it is useful.
It's within limits but any sudden loading can snap things, even on brand new cars. It's just a question of statistics.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’ve only experienced wheel hop on dry roads. It’s finally raining here in the bay area and I had the most violent wheel hop today on a slick surface. Is that wheel hop or is that what ASR feels like kicking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Why don't you enlighten everyone with your extensive knowledge on this subject.

Coming from the world of weekend drag racing, nothing ever really started to break on cars until you started putting some serious power to them. At that point, the only stuff that would really break would be the weakest components like driveshafts and rearends, and transmissions (which I would argue is a wear item) due to the extra traction at the track. We are already seeing the DSG slip at the track with more power and no extra line pressure to them.

I am curious what you think will break. Metal parts should not fatigue under stock power if that is what you are referring to.

You don't even know NA DSG's have wet clutch packs and you're questioning me?