GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control and DSG abuse

Is launch control bad for your DSG?

• If it's in the owners manual, it should be used daily.

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Only on rare occasions like driving the mother-in-law to church

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Once every couple months or less.

Votes: 63 26.7%
  • Never, don't even try it

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • What is Launch Control?

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The DSG is computer controlled and in a wet clutch system.

Launch all day long to your hearts content, the mechatronics unit won't let you mess it up.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Interested, I looked it up. The wet clutch is used for cars with over 250Nm, or 180lbft. Which is everything above the 1.4 TSI I guess.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just curious. How about the numerous people that frequently take their cars to the drag strip? I'm guessing they would have the more reliable opinions based on the rubber meeting the road experience-- pardon the pun. Do they use LC? Also what kind of upgrades would minimize any potential damage?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Tbh, damage in this sort of instance comes progressively from metal fatigue, so you either need to use stronger components throughout or reduce the inertial shock of take-off.

This stuff will go away when electric traction motors are common, since startup torque can be extremely finely controlled and drive shafts are shorter.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

mikeemorales

Passed Driver's Ed
has anyone launched with esc on? I accidentally did one time and the stability control came on quick with a loud BANG. sounded like my diff blew up. lol. checked and everything is all good tho. just wonder if anyone else has?

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
has anyone launched with esc on? I accidentally did one time and the stability control came on quick with a loud BANG. sounded like my diff blew up. lol. checked and everything is all good tho. just wonder if anyone else has?

Never tried LC, but sometimes I get an awful bang sound when taking off fast and hitting a bump at the same time.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nice. Learn something new every day. :)

Does it work in manual mode too or does it have to be in Sport?

It works in manual mode also (might need to have the drivetrain in Sport mode).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
There is no LC button. Turn off ESC, put in sport mode. Mash brake, mash gas, build revs, release brake.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

To clarify, you only need to turn off ASR (Anti Slip Regulation - aka traction control), which is a short press of the ASR/ESC button.

ESC can remain fully on, or in ESC Sport mode (long button press).

And drivetrain needs to be in Sport mode, as mentioned.

RottenJeeves

To clarify, you only need to turn off ASR (Anti Slip Regulation - aka traction control), which is a short press of the ASR/ESC button.

ESC can remain fully on, or in ESC Sport mode (long button press).

And drivetrain needs to be in Sport mode, as mentioned.

Its a bit confusing. So what the difference between putting the car in ESC Sport mode vs just putting the car in S? I thought it was the same other then just a different way to engage it. :confused:

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I have used launch control well over 300 hundred times I'm sure. 90 of those on a prepped track. Car works fine. Nissan denied warranty on the 08-09 GTR's only, then revised their programming and stopped worrying about it in 2010. My advice is don't be a bitch, if someone revs at you at the lights, smoke em! Lol.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

nype

Drag Racing Champion
ASR/ESC are controlled by the “traction control” button on the lower console, next to the shifter.

Stock settings (some people code the button to behave differently):

Short press of the button is ASR off, ESC on. Long press of the button is ASR off, ESC Sport.

Pulling down on the DSG shifter only toggles the DSG mode (shift points) between sport and normal.