GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni GTS Coilover Discussion

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Camber curve goes to shit and bump steer is worse (albeit tolerable, but it's still moving in the wrong direction).

Also when lowered 1.0in, you have 1.9inches of shock shaft showing. Bump stop is 2.17in tall for reference. You'll want to trim the bottom rung off which will bring it to ~1.57in.

Our cars ride the bump stops at nearly all times that weight is transferring (and that is by design).

FWIW I have 034 lowering springs going on myself. I wouldn't worry too much about a 1in drop, it DOES help center of gravity of course. This is basically going to be an experiment of mine to see if lowering is indeed worth it or not. Worst case scenario, next step will be MK7R front springs and back to the OE rears (or something else similar but a tad higher in rate).

I should be posting a video about all this, measurements I took, etc. within a day or two but here's a summary of the ride height part:

View attachment 298627

In short: These cars really don't have enough bump travel in stock form... and lowering them just makes the situation considerably worse. A lot of what I've found explains why my car at stock ride height on track was able to punch way above it's weight grip-wise. All these things need is some better shocks, some camber, and some roll stiffness IMO. I also think playing around with adding suspension packers to the stock front shocks AT STOCK RIDE HEIGHT (so bump stops engage sooner) may help the car take a "set" earlier and transition faster. Needs to be played with to know for sure though, but suspension packers are cheap and easy to experiment with.

Edited for clarity. Hopefully.
it's almost like ohlins knew what they're doing selling suspension with minimal drop.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Seems like he's salty about something or someone on here. Lol...

Image 9.jpeg
Image 8.jpeg

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
It’s been a while but it looks like they’re getting close to releasing.

Some good info in this new article.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com...overs-youve-been-longing-for-are-finally-here

TLDR:
  • 2.25 inch linear spring
  • Valving focused on higher spring rates and SCCA amateur motorsports events
  • Built around the success of Koni Sports (they stress they didn’t just throw a Koni Yellow into the coilover)
  • Twin-tube
  • Starting around $1,600

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Built around the success of Koni Sports (they stress they didn’t just throw a Koni Yellow into the coilover)
which is a mild bummer, I love my Koni Sports on my other vehicle and would be very excited to see a simple adjustable ride height solution using them for these cars. I'll be very interested to see how these go over though, I'm not buying a set for this car but will continue to watch for options in the future.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
which is a mild bummer, I love my Koni Sports on my other vehicle and would be very excited to see a simple adjustable ride height solution using them for these cars. I'll be very interested to see how these go over though, I'm not buying a set for this car but will continue to watch for options in the future.
This is feasible using a steel shaft collar, a poly spring bushing/isolator and a top perch. Pictured is a Vorshlag 2.5 inch spring perch. Not adjustable on the car, but could be shimmed to get height where you want it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240326_234632255.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240326_234632255.MP.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240326_234653430.jpg
    PXL_20240326_234653430.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
It’s been a while but it looks like they’re getting close to releasing.

Some good info in this new article.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com...overs-youve-been-longing-for-are-finally-here

TLDR:
  • 2.25 inch linear spring
  • Valving focused on higher spring rates and SCCA amateur motorsports events
  • Built around the success of Koni Sports (they stress they didn’t just throw a Koni Yellow into the coilover)
  • Twin-tube
  • Starting around $1,600
It will be interesting what spring rates they run, seeing as my my calcs the sports could run up to about 750f/2000r and still be ~60% critically damped (no idea if the chassis or damper could actually support that and my math could be way off)

1712083480957.png

I took and educated guess at the interpellation at 3in/s and took linear interpellation out to 20.5in/s to compare to Bilstein (At soft koni are ~45-50% stiffer in rebound ~20-30% softer in bump at 20in/s ) and the koni sports can double their rebound rate.

I got the damping info direct from koni, I have have never had one dynoed and Bilstein info used to be posted on neuspeeds website (Bilstein won't share anything)

Overall the factory (assumption), koni sports and B6/B8 are more critically damped in rebound in the rear (by about ~30%). Special actives are about even damping front and rear.

I can start a separate thread if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
It will be interesting what spring rates they run, seeing as my my calcs the sports could run up to about 750f/2000r and still be ~60% critically damped (no idea if the chassis or damper could actually support that and my math could be way off)

View attachment 301921

I took and educated guess at the interpellation at 3in/s and took linear interpellation out to 20.5in/s to compare to Bilstein (At soft koni are ~45-50% stiffer in rebound ~20-30% softer in bump at 20in/s ) and the koni sports can double their rebound rate.

I got the damping info direct from koni, I have have never had one dynoed and Bilstein info used to be posted on neuspeeds website (Bilstein won't share anything)

Overall the factory (assumption), koni sports and B6/B8 are more critically damped in rebound in the rear (by about ~30%). Special actives are about even damping front and rear.

I can start a separate thread if anyone is interested.
I would definitely be interested would be helpful for the entire MQB crowd including the MK8 people as well..