GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just went STAGE 2 APR POP n BANG

Hatcher

Ready to race!
I was APR stage 1 for a long time and had the resonator delete. After going with a new Southbend clutch, stage 2, and APR downpipe, I immediately put my resonator back on! It was too loud and 'tinny'.

So after breaking in my clutch and going back for the high output flash version of Stage 2, I was presented with the option of going with the APR "crackle" version. I'd never heard of it, so I decided to try it.

I have a stock catback, and from inside the cockpit, I don't hear anything crazy, just some occasional not too crazy pops in between shifts (doesn't matter which mode you are in with manual transmission).

I can't decide if I like it or not. Definitely doesn't sound like the pops that the old subie made. Have you guys heard this tune with stock catback? Any thoughts?

I wonder how loud it is outside of the car:( Might have to get a friend rip past me this weekend

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Yeah. Do that. Installed a CSS muffler and it sounds WAYYY louder from the outside. These cars are so quiet inside compared to previous generations

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The crackle version would drive me nuts!

I'm really happy with my APR Stage2. Their catted downpipe, 034 CAI and AWE switch path REMOTE. I kept the rest of the exhaust system stock!

It sounds throaty with a nice deep tone (no drone) and when I open up the exhaust valves with the AWE remote it's a perfect increase in sound. Not too loud, not annoying. I'd say it's just right.

My wife drives the car now and then. When she leaves our house, drives down our 500 ft long driveway and down the street... I'm very impressed with with the combo I have. You can surely tell that the car isn't stock.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think the Crackle/Pop/Bang tunes sound terrible. Not to mention it will ruin your high flow cat over time.

The pop and bang tune is to a VW what the fart can muffler is to a civic.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I was APR stage 1 for a long time and had the resonator delete. After going with a new Southbend clutch, stage 2, and APR downpipe, I immediately put my resonator back on! It was too loud and 'tinny'.

So after breaking in my clutch and going back for the high output flash version of Stage 2, I was presented with the option of going with the APR "crackle" version. I'd never heard of it, so I decided to try it.

I have a stock catback, and from inside the cockpit, I don't hear anything crazy, just some occasional not too crazy pops in between shifts (doesn't matter which mode you are in with manual transmission).

I can't decide if I like it or not. Definitely doesn't sound like the pops that the old subie made. Have you guys heard this tune with stock catback? Any thoughts?

I wonder how loud it is outside of the car:( Might have to get a friend rip past me this weekend

Besides the rice crispies sound how does it feel going from stage 1 to stage 2...I thought you might talk more about that.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Besides the rice crispies sound how does it feel going from stage 1 to stage 2...I thought you might talk more about that.

Well, there are lots of Stage 2 threads about that, but since you ask, it's great! Pulls much harder now. The added sound of the APR downpipe is nice too. Highly recommend, especially if you're DSG and don't have to buy a new clutch:(

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Puts resonator back on because it sounded "too loud and tinny"; then installs Pop n Bang tune.

Color me confused.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Puts resonator back on because it sounded "too loud and tinny"; then installs Pop n Bang tune.

Color me confused.

LOL.

Sounds stupid, but yes, believe it or not, downpipe with resonator delete worse for sure! In my opinion of course..

The problem with all POP n BANG vids is that these people have aftermarket exhausts or resonators, which sounds supremely retarded

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Just giving you a hard time. If you’re happy, I’m happy.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think the Crackle/Pop/Bang tunes sound terrible. Not to mention it will ruin your high flow cat over time.

The pop and bang tune is to a VW what the fart can muffler is to a civic.

This is a lot of opinion on the sound, but to be more accurate the pops and bang tune is to VW what a stock RS Audi tune is to Audi. Effectively the same thing, and Audi RS's still have to maintain catalyst emissions warranties just like VWs or non-RS Audi models. It's not spitting flames, I'd say catalyst degradation wouldn't be that much worse than without. It's just pressure.

I've heard the pops and bang tune on an R with a downpipe and catback exhaust and it is loud for sure, but I think could be a nice addition for a lot of people depending on their preferences.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is a lot of opinion on the sound, but to be more accurate the pops and bang tune is to VW what a stock RS Audi tune is to Audi. Effectively the same thing, and Audi RS's still have to maintain catalyst emissions warranties just like VWs or non-RS Audi models. It's not spitting flames, I'd say catalyst degradation wouldn't be that much worse than without. It's just pressure.

I've heard the pops and bang tune on an R with a downpipe and catback exhaust and it is loud for sure, but I think could be a nice addition for a lot of people depending on their preferences.

Of course that is my opinion, I think it sounds bad and is tacky. To compare this tune to a stock RS4 is crazy. These tunes intentionally throw extra fuel and adds spark to the exhaust stroke to make the noise which is not good for catalytic converters.

This also causes extra fuel in the cylinders that was causing ECUs to cut boost because it was reading that the mixture was too rich.

Plus it gives the jake brake feeling when you let off the gas.

There was a lot of negative response to these tunes, a lot. There is zero benefit and lots of downside.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
These tunes intentionally throw extra fuel and adds spark to the exhaust stroke to make the noise which is not good for catalytic converters.

This also causes extra fuel in the cylinders that was causing ECUs to cut boost because it was reading that the mixture was too rich.

Plus it gives the jake brake feeling when you let off the gas.

Proof of this? I don't have this tune, but I've never heard these negatives about the APR, COBB, or other tuners who add some exhaust flavor. Genuinely interested to see more information about what you've posted.