GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 or unitronic

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
I won a free unitronic cable on an online contest so now I am torn on which to get. I can get the unitronic for $600 right now and tune from home which is cool and the JB1 will be roughly $450 shipped to my house with a cable. Is the not having to worry about warranty worth not having as much power vs unitronic? Thanks guys

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
If you are concerned about warranty, JB1 all the way.
No warranty concerns, tune all the way.

Whether or not the tune is worth the risk is up to you. These cars respond awesome to tuning but to me not worth the risk.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Get the Stage 1 from Unitronic, just prepare to buy a clutch sooner rather than later if you are 6MT.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
If you are concerned about warranty, JB1 all the way.
No warranty concerns, tune all the way.

Whether or not the tune is worth the risk is up to you. These cars respond awesome to tuning but to me not worth the risk.

There are no concerns with Unitronic either if you go with UniConnect. Now you can just flash right from home and flash back to stock in minutes

More info on the UniConnect device
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-uniconnect-programming-tool-uh008-tla

and all the tunes are here:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/mk7-2015/tuning

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
I have had My tune for over 40,000 miles now. Unitronic 1+ with the Gofast bits dv. After getting it it makes you think you got a different car. You are going to need new tires not a new clutch unless you can't drive one well. Why are people always say that you will need to get a new clutch?

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
I have had My tune for over 40,000 miles now. Unitronic 1+ with the Gofast bits dv. After getting it it makes you think you got a different car. You are going to need new tires not a new clutch unless you can't drive one well. Why are people always say that you will need to get a new clutch?

Ok they did say sooner.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The stock clutch limit is around 400 ft/lbs (tuner estimated), which some flashes can exceed in cooler weather.

An APR stage 1 flash + cold weather will put most stock cars over 400 ft/lbs which is right around the holding limit of the stock clutch. (slight variance between clutches).

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
There are no concerns with Unitronic either if you go with UniConnect. Now you can just flash right from home and flash back to stock in minutes

More info on the UniConnect device
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-uniconnect-programming-tool-uh008-tla

and all the tunes are here:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/mk7-2015/tuning

There was just the thread that disproved all of this tuning back to stock idea.

He flashed and drove for awhile back to stock and the PCM was sent to VW corporate who found that he had flashed previously and did not cover his catastrophic failure. Thread is here:http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13904&page=2
Look at the second story by mroski.

Go JB1 unless you need to set land speed records :D We will have a better understanding of tunes vs. JB1 once a few of us head out to the track in the spring and get some concrete numbers.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Yea I am dsg haha. The tune will be the only upgrade I do engine wise so I am torn on taking it all the way with the flash. Has there been any real world testing done? Not just the companies promotion videos? I mean if we're only talk 10-15 whp difference is go jb1 but a 25-35 whp I would go uni.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
Yea I am dsg haha. The tune will be the only upgrade I do engine wise so I am torn on taking it all the way with the flash. Has there been any real world testing done? Not just the companies promotion videos? I mean if we're only talk 10-15 whp difference is go jb1 but a 25-35 whp I would go uni.

Try the jb1 first and if not enough, go with a flash tune.
You can always sell the jb1 close to what you bought it for.
Win win.

Dspl1236

Passed Driver's Ed
I had 2 turbo's replaced on my Uni stage 2 Gen3 GLI. All under warranty. VWoA tried proving there was a tune because my catless downpipe would not throw a code on the stock tune. They had my car for a month. No proof found. Got it fixed. Even smelling like race gas.

A failed 2nd o2 sensor did not show failed...but was causing crazy hpfp pressure fluctuations as well. Just unplugging the 2nd O2 will cause a staling and over fueling issues stock or tuned.

Its an order of operations. Make sure your ecu is up to date with the latest oem software. Get a tune. Make sure you flash back to the exact stock revision on ANY dealer visit. APR, Uni, ED, Revo, and Gaic might all have different ways of flashing.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Try the jb1 first and if not enough, go with a flash tune.
You can always sell the jb1 close to what you bought it for.
Win win.

Yea I like to research as much as I can to make the right decision the first time. It is super crazy how well they hold their value though.

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
I won a free unitronic cable on an online contest so now I am torn on which to get. I can get the unitronic for $600 right now and tune from home which is cool and the JB1 will be roughly $450 shipped to my house with a cable. Is the not having to worry about warranty worth not having as much power vs unitronic? Thanks guys

well just send me the cable and go jb1.