GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 or unitronic

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
No sorry I guess I am not explaining myself :-D
What I mean is, there is a guaranteed no TD1 with the JB1 - ecu sees stock values, when removed it is 100% stock.

Whereas with the tunes, there is a chance that VW can find them and TD1, EVEN if you flash back to stock. See the thread I linked before. Unitronic above has even said they aren't sure.

Listen, I am all for a tune. I want one badly! But for a car I am paying $300+ a month for, for the next 4 years, I (and others) can't justify a (remotely possible) massive repair bill for 10-15 more whp than a JB1.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
What I mean is, there is a guaranteed no TD1 with the JB1 - ecu sees stock values, when removed it is 100% stock.

Whereas with the tunes, there is a chance that VW can find them and TD1, EVEN if you flash back to stock. See the thread I linked before. Unitronic above has even said they aren't sure.

Listen, I am all for a tune. I want one badly! But for a car I am paying $300+ a month for, for the next 4 years, I (and others) can't justify a (remotely possible) massive repair bill for 10-15 more whp than a JB1.

Which ways you referring to that would the computer detect a tune on a stock reflashed ECU car? And how would the TD1 flag occur on VW's diagnostic computer with a stock ECU?

Unitronic is just making claim they cannot guarantee. Just how any other company will not guarantee your car could not get damaged from performance products.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Installing a piggy back is fooling the ECU into delivering additional boost pressure, etc. It must fool the ECU because it's not a recalibration of the ECU mapping and without changing maps within the ECU, the ECU wants to maintain homeostasis per its calibration. If anything, using logic, this would end up making the situation MORE prone to issues, as the ECU has no way to see real sensor input data, and thus, if something really were to go awry, the ECU is totally in the dark about the actual sensor values, and thus, can't compensate accordingly.

I wasn't planning to post here as I do not chase sales but I just want to clarify the following:

The safety measures that the engine has in place are on the lambda sensor for fueling and EGT, the knock sensor for timing and intake temperature protection. None of these signals are tampered with therefore the ECU would use the same safety net it would in any other circumstance. With a piggy back the ECU is actually far less forgiving and is more prone to a engine check light if its "happy" conditions are not met.
On the intake temp side some flash tuners have already altered limits after realizing during the summer all the cars where taking a dive.

The issue with flashing the car is not the fact it does not have the stock map in it. What is detected is when it was flashed and this is hard date stamped so you can flash the car back to stock and zero the counter and it will still know the mileage it was flashed and that there is no dealer code present for that flash.

We saw many APR cars with this issue and recently ED reports are starting to surface.

Our warranty conditions are not unique to the VW platform. Some units power 800whp cars with free user adjustments hence having to be covered from all aspects.

GarabinS1

Ready to race!

I agree, the extra few Whp is not worth losing your warranty over. I also yet have to see any JB1 car get its warranty voided/calimed denied due to being flagged for a tune.

arizonagti1

Passed Driver's Ed
i honestly went jb1 just because i can take it off whenever and no one would know. It was tedious to install but I managed. Hardest part for me was disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. Couldn't find a good spot to place the dang thing without it falling and hitting the terminal and giving my car power.

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
If you are tracking it i can see the issue. But i dont plan on going over 124mph on the street.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
only thing that gets me is that jb1 doesnt remove the top speed governor...if jb1 did that i would be sold in a heart beat

How fast are you planning on going? :eek:

I'll bite on an old thread. I loved the Unitronic tune on my mk6. It felt really linear. Despite that, I'd probably go with a JB1 because I'd like to keep my clutch healthy for as long as possible and it's very affordable. Most of the flash tunes seem to want to max out torque, which isn't going to help me much anyways. The APR low output tune looks neat, but not for the cost.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
How fast are you planning on going? :eek:

I'll bite on an old thread. I loved the Unitronic tune on my mk6. It felt really linear. Despite that, I'd probably go with a JB1 because I'd like to keep my clutch healthy for as long as possible and it's very affordable. Most of the flash tunes seem to want to max out torque, which isn't going to help me much anyways. The APR low output tune looks neat, but not for the cost.

i didnt like the apr price for the power of the low output...however jb1 does sound nice...but i know ill want more eventually...maybe ill just stick with jb1 til after warranty and then switch to uni stage 2 down the road...plus i heard uni tunes feel amazing which is also why i wanted to go with it